2011 Mercury Mariner drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Mercury Mariner:

2011 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Jul 252016

Last year, driving on state highway and vehicle loses power. Wrench light comes on, engine is running, no gas, etc. Shut off, wait, and start again. Light is off and runs ok. This happened several more times. Contacted Ford customer assistance and showed there was a customer experience recall on throttle body. Took it to a dealer and they found nothing wrong. I got it back, and problem reoccurred. Took it back to dealer, they drove it around, and couldn't find anything wrong. Finally, in another city, left work and lost power and engine light came on and didn't go off after restart. Contacted dealer and they replaced throttle body sensor (or similar) for free. This last week, was driving on interstate 75mph in traffic and I lose power in passing lane. Luckily coasted to shoulder, restarted and lights off. Happened again this morning going to work on state highway at 60mph. Talked to Ford and was told they cannot help me until I have a dealer look at it. Cannot get an appointment until end of next week. Worried about driving this vehicle I've had less than 5 years, but if dealer cannot find error, I have to take my chances and wait until they can get an error.

- Eddyville, NE, USA

Jan 062016

2011 Mercury Mariner transmission failed without warning, the computer chips should have given some kind of warning.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jun 242014

Mariner 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway on my afternoon commute home with my 3 yr old daughter in the back seat and my vehicle lost power and the check engine light and a wrench light came on and it would not go above 25 mph. I almost got hit in the rear of my vehicle cause I was not expecting this to happen by any means, but I was able to coast off the highway and shut the engine down for a few minutes and restarted it drove about 5 miles and it did it again.

- Fort Wainwright, AK, USA

May 052014

Mariner 6-cyl

I was driving through my neighborhood on the way home from going out to dinner. I went around a curve and then when I started going up a slight hill, the engine surged. I didn't think to much about it until I lost almost all power. I could not get up to a speed higher than 5 miles per hour. I was able to get within one block of my residence. I waited for about an hour as I looked up the diagnostic code that my odb2 scanner gave me. I found out that it is code P2111, throttle actuator control system - stuck open. I went back to my car, after about an hour, and it started just fine. I was able to drive my SUV to my local Ford dealer, with someone in another car following to make sure that I didn't have a repeating issue. I did a night key drop tonight, the same day as when the issue happened. I included the warranty letter that I had received from Ford regarding the throttle body replacement. I cannot understand why Ford would not issue an official recall to fix this ongoing problem. I feel very fortunate that I was not on a busy interstate highway or otherwise congested road when this happened. Will there have to be numerous reports of fatalities or serious property damage before this issue is actually rectified?

- Laurel, MD, USA

Dec 062013

Mariner 6-cyl

Was on a very busy four-lane road driving approximately 55 miles per hour; it was dark and raining. The car suddenly slowed to almost no movement, but the engine was running. Was able to drift into a lowe's parking lot safely off the highway. The engine light and a wrench symbol appeared; I cut the engine off and waited about 10 minutes and restarted. Vehicle got me to the hotel where I was staying about a 1/2 mile away. Next morning, I had someone follow me so that I could attempt to get it to the Ford dealer in princeton, West Virginia. Car stalled on 5 occasions; restarted it, go a mile or so and had to restart again. The service department was excellent - they immediately took the car in (I was in town for a funeral); tech discovered it was the throttle body. It was replaced, but at a cost of $594.85. This was the second incidence in less than 4 days with this same problem. On December 2, I took the vehicle to the local Ford garage in greeneville, Tennessee, where I live. The engine light had come on and I was concerned since the manual said to see the dealer immediately. Local Ford garage cleaned out the fuel line and said I should not have any more problems. Engine light was off and I thought the car was okay. Then on December 5, drove to princeton, West Virginia, and the nightmare began. It appears that the Ford Motor Company is aware of this problem since so many owners have complained. There should have been a recall and the problem resolved. It is extremely unsafe to be on the interstate or any road where traffic moves fast when your car goes to a basic idle and will not accelerate.

- Bulls Gap, TN, USA

Nov 072013

Mariner 6-cyl

My wife was driving the 2011 Mercury Mariner on the interstate at 60 mph when the wrench light (throttle control/powertrain) came on and the car speed dropped rapidly to about 20 mph. Fortunately she was able to pull the Mariner over to the side of the interstate and came to a stop and shut the engine off. When she restarted the Mariner the light went away and power to the Mariner was restored. This is has happened to the Mariner twice.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 102013

Mariner 6-cyl

On the morning of September 10, 2013, after about a 30 minute commute to my place of work, I pulled into my work driveway, and my 2011 Mercury Mariner stalled. The engine seemed to cut off, the wrench light came on, and my vehicle rolled into the parking spot. Unsure of what had happened with my vehicle (as it had never happened before), I immediately called my local Ford dealership service department. The service manager was extremely helpful and told me it sounded like a throttle body problem, as his service department has replaced a number of these on both the Ford escapes and Mercury Mariners. On my lunch break, I drove over to the dealership and made it with no stalling out problems. The manager then told me he would drive me back to work in the vehicle to see if it would "act up." It did not "act up" while he drove me back to my place of work, but on his way back to the dealership, it stalled out on him while he was attempting a left turn. He had to turn the vehicle off for approximately 30 seconds to let it reset. He said at this point the check engine light also came on. He got it into the service department and hooked it up to the computer. The computer generated code P2111, electronic throttle body assembly. He luckily had one in stock and it was promptly replaced. I have not had any more stalling out issues with my Mariner and the issue appears to be resolved. This problem could have had deadly consequences had it stalled out at the wrong place and wrong time, particularly in an oncoming traffic situation. As the service manager mentioned to me, this has been an ongoing problem that is facing a potential recall.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 202013

Mariner 4-cyl

Vehicle was exiting a parking lot, stopped in the right turn lane. Pressed accelerator to pull out of parking lot and vehicle began jolting violently back and forth and barely moving forward - but did move into the oncoming traffic lane. Eventually vehicle was unable to move and engine stopped. Had to push vehicle to side of road to restart. Dealer advised broken "throttle body and mo" not covered by warranty and forced to pay for repair.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 102013

I was driving along with a full car of soccer players and lost momentum. Had to navigate to the side of road.. the vehicle threw an orange wrench light which is my manual said it was a power train problem. I was happy to be safe and ok with the fact that it would be covered on power train(my assumption). Later found out it was the throttle body and because I am outside mileage warranty on bumper to bumper (but inside the years) it is going to cost me $485.20. I am animate and will get this reimbursed by Ford Motor Company.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Aug 132013

While driving down the highway, in my 2011 Mariner it suddenly lost the power to accelerate (engine still running). The wrench light illuminated at this time. Pressing on the accelerator did nothing. Fortunately there was nothing behind me so I coasted about 1/4 mile to the next turn off and coasted off the highway. Then I turned the vehicle off, waited a few minutes and restarted it. I drove about 20 miles home with no other occurrence. The next day (August 14, 2013) I drove about 20 miles to work with no problems. That afternoon I left work and drove about 2 miles at 25 mph and it lost all acceleration power again (motor still running). I turned it off and restarted it. I drove another 2 miles at 25 mph and it lost acceleration power again, but this time both the wrench light and the check engine light came on (engine still running). I then drove directly to my Ford/Mercury dealer (about 1 mile) and told him the situation. It is currently in their shop and I haven't heard back from them yet. They gave me a loaner vehicle to drive while they check out my Mariner. -- extremely scary situation! if this happens to me on an interstate in a center lane with heavy traffic will be life threatening. I don't want to be afraid driving my vehicle and think a recall should be done asap!! today I have read other similar situations people have experienced with Mariners and escapes. Please check into this asap before there is a tragedy if there hasn't already been one gone unreported!!! thank you!!

- Melrose, IA, USA

Aug 032013

Mariner 6-cyl

While cruising on I-40 headed towards nashville, my car went into an idle state and I forced to the side of the road to turn off the car. Turned it back on and it ran for another 25 miles and did the exact same thing. I took it to the Ford dealer where they looked for any codes. The code that they found was P2111 for a powertrain throttle body. None of these parts are in stock anywhere in tenn from what the tech said. I was forced to travel back to dallas in a vehicle that would randomly go into an idle state where I was forced to exit the road to turn off and re-start my vehicle. Upon doing some research, it appears that several for vehicles are having throttle body issues. Also, I learned just today that the part I need, ds7Z9E926D costs $324 at the dealer. The parts person mentioned that are now on part #D and that the previous parts are defective. My powertrain is under warranty, however, "this part is not covered even though it is part of the powertrain" per the Ford tech. Please include this into any Ford throttle body issues that are being investigated. Thanks.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Jul 302013

Mariner 4-cyl

Needs a new electric throttle due to the same issues reported in previous complaints. Exact issue referenced below. "in two recent complaints to nccc, drivers reported intermittent vehicle stalls and surges as they enter traffic from a stopped position or while driving at highway speeds. As the problem was initially intermittent, the drivers continued to operate their vehicles in this condition, eventually progressing to the point of keeping one foot on the brake while stopped and the other on the gas pedal to keep the vehicle running."

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 042013

Mariner 6-cyl

• 47,000 miles - read comments on this site. Exactly what our Mariner is doing. 60 to zero in 2 seconds. Yellow wrench light comes on, vehicle no longer accelerates, pullover, turn off, restart. Has happened 3 times.

- Pegram, TN, USA

Jan 192013

Mariner 6-cyl

Driving around 50 mph, all of a sudden the engine throttles down and the powertrain light comes on. The engine is still running, but no response when you press the accelerator. Had to pull over, shut off the engine, restarted the engine and it functioned normally. It happened two more times in the same trip. It has been happening intermittently. Bringing it in now because of potential road hazard.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 252013

Mariner 6-cyl

Started vehicle in the morning for work & yellow wrench light came on, combined with "limp mode" symptoms of no throttle response. Googled & found multiple complaints for similar issues with this motor. Called local Ford dealer who said the throttle body has had 3 different part numbers which leads me to believe that this has been a know issue for a while now. Ordered the latest version of the throttle body & will have it replaced by my mechanic who said its a 1/2 hr install. I will be keeping the receipts & hopefully Ford will be kind enough to reimburse those who have had this fixed, if the issue does end up becoming a recall. What a headache.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jun 072013

Mariner 6-cyl

Vehicle traveling at 70 mph on interstate engine quit and loss of steering and control. Pulled over re started happened again. And engine light went on. Re started drove to dealer later and discovered after $100 diagnostic that the throttle body was not working properly. Happened when mileage was between 38-39000. They wanted me to pay over $590 to replace their defective part at Ford dealership they refused to put it under any warranty or recall. I did not have it fixed. It is a danger to allow this matter not to be recalled as it has happened thousands of times in many Ford vehicles.

- Ocala, FL, USA

May 232013

I just bought a 2011 Mercury Mariner in April 2013..I only had it 6 weeks when this happened. I was driving in 5 O'clock traffic and my car motor started making funny noises, felt like it was trying to stall and would not accelerate, the wrench light came on and then my check engine light. My car would barely drive, I was stuck in traffic, thankfully people saw my hazard lights and allowed me to cut through the lines of traffic and I was finally able to pull over into a parking lot. I found out later my car had gone into "limp mode" & this is a "known issue" with Ford escapes & Mercury Mariners model years 2009-2011. It is due to a faulty throttle body. My car has been in the shop for 2 weeks now & my mechanic has been unable to get a new part because they are on a national backorder. Over 4,000 parts are on order and have been on backorder since February of this year (2013). Why has there not been a recall"?? clearly, this is a widespread issue!!! neither the dealership or my mechanic can get a part to fix my car. I am stuck without a vehicle or any recourse to get myself into a working vehicle. Insurance will not pay for a rental indefinitely since we do not know when these replacement throttle body parts will actually ship - we've already been waiting for 2 weeks. The company keeps telling my mechanic they will ship in 3-4 days and we are still without a part. I can't help but wonder, what about the other people besides myself that have also been waiting on this shipment even longer than I have"! this is ridiculous.

- Tyler, TX, USA

May 242013

Mariner 6-cyl

Friday 24th, the wrench sign came on, the car shut down in traffic. Called the dealer, told me to pull the key out and then restart after 5 minutes. It started and he okayed me to drive it. He said it was a 1time glitch. Later in the day, pulling out of a restaurant, it did the same thing. So I repeated what the Ford service tech told me. The next morning I brought it directly to the Ford service center where the tech told me that since the light indicator didn't remain on, there is no way to tell what the cause was. He told me to drive it until it happened again and the light remained on. 2 days later, this happened. I had the car towed to the service center and they dropped it for service for the next morning because it was Sunday night. Monday, got a call from the tech who said the lighy went back off so they are at square one. I just so happen to have gotten the engine light code ran before it got towed and it came up P2111. Tech diagnosed that I need a new throttle body but the part is on backorder with no eta.

- Hurst, TX, USA

Dec 192012

Car seems to stall all power stays on but the car shakes and then stalls and the wrench light comes on which is a powertrain light. Took car to dealer they say there is nothing wrong with it. They reset the light. One week after bring the car to the dealer the wrench light comes back on and the car stalls this time I was going 55 miles an hour on a parkway thankfully I was able to pull over before the car stopped. Brought to dealer, nothing is wrong with the car they recommended me to leave the heat off because there could be a problem with the heat. (don't understand that) last week the car stalled again and the wrench light came on. I am currently waiting to bring it in for service. This is not good nor safe.

- Elmsford , NY, USA

Oct 262012

Mariner 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate at about 65mph. Vehicle became unresponsive to the gas pedal input. Check engine (yellow wrench) light came on. I had to cross over to the right side of the road, while coasting with the engine at idle. Came to a stop and that's when I realized that the car was at idle and would not respond to the gas pedal. Turned off the car, and it restarted after a longer than normal amount of cranking. Check engine light was out. Car drove normally to my destination. Took car to alan vigil Ford. They said it has no stored codes, but it would need the throttle body replaced, but it was not covered under the 5/60K powertrain warranty. I also called Ford customer service and they said the same thing. They charged $99.95 diagnostic fee for this. They told me to keep the receipt, incase of a future recall. Same problem occurred on 10/31/12, at almost the same place on the interstate. I restarted it and now I am ordering a new throttle body. It can be found online, from a Ford dealer for $120, but alan vigil Ford wanted $475 to replace this part that takes no more than 10 minutes to replace. Ford is aware of this. The part # is 9L8Z9E926A that is replaced by ds7Z9E926A. Maybe they have a new vendor, that may be more reliable. This is wrong for Ford to make money on consumers, on an item that may be a safety issue. What if this were to fail, while making a left turn, in front of oncoming traffic. I will not let my daughter drive my car again.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA