1.7

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid:

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Owner Comments

Jul 172013

Mariner Hybrid

My son was driving to his work as an emt. I allowed him to use my mariner. Traveling approx 65mph on the 5 freeway South in sunland, he heard the rod go and saw the lights on the dash indicate the engine overheating. He pulled off the 5 freeway and parked wear it was safe and called for help. I had aaa pickup the vehicle and bring it to the mechanic in westlake village ca. They indicated to me that the engine had thrown a rod and would need to be replaced. They thought it might have run out of oil or something else, but bottom line was that the engine was destroyed. They quoted me a price of $15,000 minimum to fix, so I had it towed to my driveway where it has remained since. It wasn't' for 10 months later we would get any indication that something else might have caused this to happen. I last serviced my mariner in March & may of 2013. My new concern putting 2+2 together, is that though the car was due for an oil change, could this catastrophic event have been due to the overheated coolant system that as yet hadn't been recalled? id like to see if any other Mercury/Ford customers experienced this.

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Jul 252012

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving at highway speeds, vehicle suddenly shut down and displayed a "stop safely now" message on the lcd and a warning light on the dash. The engine just shut off completely, no electric drive either. Extremely dangerous condition. This happened twice. Vehicle restarted within a minute and operated normally for about 30 minutes. This is a common problem with the Mercury mariner and Ford escape versions of this vehicle. There is extensive documentation of this issue here: www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/F26/stop-safely-now-11900/ apparently, most of these cases are caused by failing cooling pumps. I just don't see how Ford could think to program a vehicle to just shut down because a component was overheating" how about a warning light and tone"

- Bryn Mawr, PA, USA