2007 Mercury Milan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mercury Milan:

2007 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 302016

Milan

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Milan. While driving approximately 60 mph, the brake pedal traveled to the floor when the brake pedal was depressed. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the same failure occurred three other times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- Kountsze, TX, USA

Jan 172013

Milan

I am the owner of a 2007 Mercury Milan.in January of 2013 one of my front wheels hit a small bump in the road while braking which caused the ABS system to engage. Immediately afterwards my brake pedal went to the floor. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the brake booster and master cylinder, which were both covered under the extended warranty. However they also said that my front and rear rotors and brake pads were ruined and all must be replaced. This was not under warranty. The price tag for this was $604.51. I was told if I got the work done elsewhere I would void the warranty. So I paid the $604.51. In June 2016 while going down a steep hill I had to brake lightly when one of my front wheels hit a small pothole, the ABS engaged and again my brake pedal immediately went to the floor again. Researching the problem I found that this is a very common problem with 2007 Milan's and Fusion. The ABS pump is designed poorly and the valves tend to stick after an ABS event. Further research revealed that Ford has known about this problem since 2007 and chose to do nothing about it. This time the cost to fix it cost $112.80. The dealer also told me if it happens again the ¿hcu/ECU¿ unit will have to be replaced at a price of $1900. I am sure that this product defect has been well known and documented by Ford. I've paid a total of $717.31 for a problem that Ford has known about for the better part of nine years. I would like to be compensated for these charges. I wrote a letter to Ford Motor Company only to get a generic letter back stating that I need to go through the dealer if I have any concerns. I did this only to be told that anyone can find anything on the internet when I described to them all the other people who were having the same problem with their Milan. I saw a recent article that Ford is being investigated so I decided to write to you about this!

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Dec 232016

Milan

Mushy brakes both while stationary and in motion ~ twice in 2016. Front and rear brake pads were replaced on 01/18/2016. ABS control module was replaced on 12/23/2016.

- Midland, MI, USA

Dec 152016

Milan

I drive a 2007 Mercury Milan, and I experienced a low brake pedal after an ABS event. I was travelling at 25 mph and was approaching a traffic light that was changing to red. I applied the brakes to stop and slid on a patch of ice. My ABS kicked in and immediately afterwards my brake pedal fell to the floor. I was able to continue driving, however, I felt very unsafe. When pressing the brake pedal there was a split second of pressure and then the pedal would fall to the floor. I was able to stop, however, my stopping distance increased greatly. I was able to get where I was going but I parked the car after and refused to drive it. This same thing happened to me about a year ago, but after a day the pedal came back and seemed to be operating correctly. I had a brake maintenance done, and everything looked fine. I assumed maybe it was a fluke. Since that time I have replaced all pads and rotors, so when this event happened again I knew it had to be something else. I looked around a little bit and it appears I am not the only one having this issue. I had the ABS pump replaced about a week ago, and so far it seems to be working. The mechanic that replaced the pump made the car go into an ABS event and the brake pedal stayed stiff. I do not know if this is the fix or not, but it brought my brake pedal back for the time being. I sincerely hope NHTSA investigates. Finding yourself with a low brake pedal is terrifying, especially in winter.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Dec 012007

Milan

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Milan. While operating the vehicle and depressing the brake pedal, the ABS indicator illuminated and the vehicle would not immediately stop. The brake pedal extended to the floor and the braking distance increased. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ABS was faulty. The ABS module was replaced, but the failure continued. The module was replaced with the manufacturer's updated module and the failure was remedied. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Laurys Station, PA, USA

Dec 192016

Milan

Several times over the years I have noticed while breaking the pedal goes soft. It happens sporadically. When it happens we check break fluid level which is always good. When hearing about the current investigation, it all makes sense. I believe my car has a defect with the anti-lock system.

- Mansfield, IL, USA

Jul 062013

Milan

Lost my front brakes after hitting pothole on one occasion and has happened a few times in wet weather with minor bumps, figured out that I had to turn my vehicle off to reset computer and pumped my brakes as if I just changed them and they came back.the first time this happened was about three years ago made some calls to dealers with no answers and my mechanic couldn't find anything and has happened at least 4 times since then

- Nashua, NH, USA

Dec 122016

Milan

In two separate instances, I had to brake hard on slippery surfaces. Both times the anti-lock brakes engaged and stopped me, but in each case the next time I applied the brakes the pedal went soft, nearly touched the floor and the braking was less effective. In both instances the vehicle was in motion, on a street.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Nov 242016

Milan

When the car is under braking (light or heavy) conditions over rough or uneven surfaces, such as a manhole cover, or on slippery roads, the anti-lock braking system does not work properly. This increases the distance required to stop the car, heightening the chance of a crash. Specifically- the vehicle is operating under normal braking circumstances over a rough or slippery surface at less than 30mph, at this time the ABS engages (sometimes inappropriately/too conservative application of ABS), and it feels as if air is injected into the hydraulic system by the ABS pump at this time (not 100% sure if that is what is occurring, but that is what it feels like), as the pedal will become either very soft (poor brakes with heavy bias front to back throughout the pedal travel) or go all the way to the floor (no brakes). If the brakes are pumped in a panic mode rapid succession after this "no brakes" condition, the pedal will increase in stiffness somewhat, but still only what I would characterize as 30% braking effectiveness. Barely enough to come to a stop in a reasonable distance. After this ABS pump cycling, the pedal will also have a different braking "feel" with every single subsequent brake pedal operation cycle. Sometimes the rear brakes engage first, not slowing the car sufficiently enough w/out the front brakes, forcing increased pedal pressure to be applied, then the front brakes engage suddenly and unsettle the car. This braking condition lasts indefinitely after the ABS pump cycling event. Even if the brakes are bled by a Ford or otherwise qualified mechanic, the car is subject to this same behavior upon the next cycling of the ABS braking system. The vehicle has 201K miles, and has been exhibiting this annoying and dangerous behavior since approximately 75K miles. Date occurred field on this webpage is most recent time that this has occurred over many years.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

Dec 082016

Milan

I loose anti lock brakes completely/partially when stopping suddenly. The brakes become very "loose" meaning all they way to the floor. I noticed this starting last year, then again this year.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Dec 092016

Milan

12/9/16 after ABS activated on ice, the brake petal went to the floor. Now it takes several pumps of the brakes to stop quickly. Also, it can start to roll back when starting the car if the brake petal isn't firmly pressed down. Car at Ford dealer now. They said it needs a new hydraulic control unit which isn't being manufactured.

- Lima, OH, USA

Oct 112016

Milan

Brakes went to the floor and I slid through a stop sign. My husband informs me the brakes have been like this for months. I usually don't drive this car, but I did that day, and will not drive it now, it is not safe. Our mechanic is stumped; bled the brakes, and replaced everything. Still going to the floor.

- Cement City, MI, USA

Nov 022016

Milan

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Milan. While driving at any speed and when the brake pedal was applied, it traveled all the way down to the floorboard. The vehicle was driven to a mechanic who diagnosed it as having a hydraulic pump failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was not available.

- Ashland, OH, USA

May 152013

Milan

Brake pedal at times goes all the way to the floor and vehicle will not stop. This seems to occur after hotting a rut or pothole, or the ABS system kicks in. Very unsafe to drive when this happens.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Dec 092016

Milan

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that while depressing the brake pedal at approximately 35 mph and attempting to stop at a red light, the brake pedal went all the way down to floor. The contact had to pump the pedal several times before the vehicle came to a stop. The contact also stated that the same failure recurred multiple times during cold temperatures or after driving over a bump in the road. The vehicle had been taken to an independent mechanic but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 165,000.

- Portage, IN, USA

Dec 222016

Milan

When driving the brake peddle will go almost to the floor. Brake peddle goes soft and goes to floor after the ABS has been used. Peddle has to be pump up to get braking back. Does not corrects problem for it will reoccur in a few days.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Dec 142016

Milan

Shortly after being involved in a rear end collision, the car had an instance of the brake pedal going soft and hard to get the vehicle to stop without additional effort on the brake pedal. After doing some online research, I found an article that said to find a spot to get the car up to speed and force a rapid braking situation to get the stuck spool valves in the ABS unit to release. I did this and the problem went away. I did this so that the car could be functional before going to the collision shop for repairs. At the collision shop, I asked for the cars brake system to be inspected specifically for this ABS units issues, and even brought in a copy of the online research I had done. The Ford dealer that did the collision repair did not find any brake issue to correct. Now 6 months later with a recent snowfall that had left our area icy, the car's ABS unit was called on for a slip condition while stopping. My daughter called me and told me about this event when it occurred, and I told her I would bring it back to the dealer that inspected it. By the time I came home to take the car back in, the car was again fine. I am wanting this issue to be pushed forward to force Ford to have the car repair the car, since it has show two separate instances of what I would call brake failure.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Dec 172016

Milan

After ABS engaged, brake pedal sunk to floor on subsequent stops. Found cause on internet. Concensus was that there is a defective ABS hydraulic control unit. This is a big time safety issue. Dealer wants 1,000 dollars to replace. Ford should cover this repair as a recall.

- Canton, OH, USA

Dec 102016

Milan

Break pedal goes to floor intermittently with very weak brakes. Believe this to be ABS pump problem after reading up with many other owners having same problem. Have replaced entire brake system (except ABS pump) thus far and problem still exists. How has this not been recalled yet?

- Garden City, MI, USA

Nov 032016

Milan

I hit a pothole while driving and the ABS engaged. Then my brake pedal went to the floor. The car would not stop. Eventually the brake pedal came back to normal but I had to keep pumping the pedal. I almost crashed into the car in front of me.

- Media, PA, USA