NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2007 Mercury Milan (Page 1 of 3)

2007 Mercury Milan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mercury Milan:

2007 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 162016

Milan

Two occurrences of failed brakes. The first occurred in a highway construction zone going over the rough road. Vehicles in front had begun to slow in front of me, requiring the brakes to be applied. After an estimated half second of initial braking, the pedal went to the floor and lost nearly all breaking capacity. After letting off the pedal and reapplying several times the brakes recovered enough to slow the car. Estimated speed at time of initial breaking was 50-55 mph. They did not fully recover to full capacity until a several more breaking cycles. The second occurred while turning onto a rough turn lane adjacent to the highway traveling at about 65 mph. After a moment of initial braking, the pedal went to the floor and had zero braking capacity. The car continued to coast as I was applying the emergency brake but caused the car to run through the intersection at about 55-60 miles an hour. The car is currently at the Ford dealer, diagnosed as a failed ABS hydraulic control unit.

- Spring Hill, KS, USA

Jan 102017

Milan

In 2016 on a wintry day I had an ABS event and the pedal fell to the floor. It came up again by itself hours later. January 10th 2017 had another ABS event and the pedal fell to the floor. It cost me $387 to fix it. The ABS system has a safety issue and I urge you to please take a look at this. Hundreds of people have had this problem. Takata recall Ford sent me a letter stating I have takata but they haven't fixed it.

- Columbia, PA, USA

Dec 042016

Milan

Roads were snow covered and when went to brake, the pedal went to the floor. The ABS did not kick in but had no brakes. Pumped several times but pedal would just go to the floor. This is as reported by my mother.

- Waterville, OH, USA

Apr 012016

Milan

When we press on the brakes, we need to press very hard all the way to the ground. We pull over and turn vehicle off and restart it. This has helped in the pass but no longer, we are afraid to drive it. We have taken to a few garages and said brakes are fine. Today it's at a Ford dealer being checked out. This is our daughters car for college she is terrified to drive it, she said it really doesn't want to stop, and getting much worse. Your help in this matter is very much appreciated. This happens on back roads at stop signs and red lights. Also getting off highway when I had to make a sudden stop. This started in April of 2016 and getting worse.

- Bethel Park, PA, USA

Dec 152015

Milan

While driving straight on an icy road, brake pedal went to floor and lost braking - pumping the brakes helped restore braking enough to get it to repair shop 1 block away - replaced ABS brake cylinder at costs of more than $1000 Dec 2015

- Mascoutah, IL, USA

Jan 082017

Milan

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that the brakes did not decelerate the vehicle even when the brake pedal was depressed to the floor. The dealer was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Oxford, CT, USA

Jan 032017

Milan

I was driving forward at about 15 mph on a snow covered road (residential city street). I came upon an uncontrolled intersection when I noticed a car coming from my right side, I then attempted to slow down and stop. While trying to slow down my brake pedal lost all pressure and went to the floor, causing an inability to slow down properly. Resulting in my car hitting the rear driver side of the other car in the middle of the intersection. My brake pedal has lost pressure 3 times previously all in the same winter conditions (snow and icy road) and while trying to slow down. I took my car to 2 different mechanics, with no issues found with the brake system. 1 of the previous times I had to use my emergency brake for the car to stop completely the other 2 times took an extended amount of time for the car to stop. When my brake pedal loses pressure I immediately park my car, the pressure on the brake pedal with go back to normal after letting the car sit for at least 5 hours if not longer.

- Twin Falls, ID, USA

Dec 142015

Milan

Soft brake pedal brake pedal will go soft when the ABS system activates and will continue to be soft for a period of time. First experienced this in winter 2015/2016 and brake was soft for several days after ABS system activated due to snow on the ground. After several days the brakes went back to normal. However again this winter 2016/2017 the ABS was activated in December 2016 and the brakes went soft and continue to be soft to date. I have to double pump my brakes several times in order for the brakes to activate without having to push my brake pedal all the way to the floor. I have not had any accidents but consider this a huge safety hazard and a defect related to the manufacturing of the vehicle.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 052016

Milan

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Milan. While driving at any speed, the brake pedal was depressed and traveled all the way down to the floorboard. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was driven to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the hydraulic pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Van Wert, OH, USA

Dec 302016

Milan

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Milan. While driving approximately 60 mph, the brake pedal traveled to the floor when the brake pedal was depressed. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the same failure occurred three other times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- Kountsze, TX, USA

Jan 172013

Milan

I am the owner of a 2007 Mercury Milan.in January of 2013 one of my front wheels hit a small bump in the road while braking which caused the ABS system to engage. Immediately afterwards my brake pedal went to the floor. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the brake booster and master cylinder, which were both covered under the extended warranty. However they also said that my front and rear rotors and brake pads were ruined and all must be replaced. This was not under warranty. The price tag for this was $604.51. I was told if I got the work done elsewhere I would void the warranty. So I paid the $604.51. In June 2016 while going down a steep hill I had to brake lightly when one of my front wheels hit a small pothole, the ABS engaged and again my brake pedal immediately went to the floor again. Researching the problem I found that this is a very common problem with 2007 Milan's and Fusion. The ABS pump is designed poorly and the valves tend to stick after an ABS event. Further research revealed that Ford has known about this problem since 2007 and chose to do nothing about it. This time the cost to fix it cost $112.80. The dealer also told me if it happens again the ¿hcu/ECU¿ unit will have to be replaced at a price of $1900. I am sure that this product defect has been well known and documented by Ford. I've paid a total of $717.31 for a problem that Ford has known about for the better part of nine years. I would like to be compensated for these charges. I wrote a letter to Ford Motor Company only to get a generic letter back stating that I need to go through the dealer if I have any concerns. I did this only to be told that anyone can find anything on the internet when I described to them all the other people who were having the same problem with their Milan. I saw a recent article that Ford is being investigated so I decided to write to you about this!

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Dec 232016

Milan

Mushy brakes both while stationary and in motion ~ twice in 2016. Front and rear brake pads were replaced on 01/18/2016. ABS control module was replaced on 12/23/2016.

- Midland, MI, USA

Dec 152016

Milan

I drive a 2007 Mercury Milan, and I experienced a low brake pedal after an ABS event. I was travelling at 25 mph and was approaching a traffic light that was changing to red. I applied the brakes to stop and slid on a patch of ice. My ABS kicked in and immediately afterwards my brake pedal fell to the floor. I was able to continue driving, however, I felt very unsafe. When pressing the brake pedal there was a split second of pressure and then the pedal would fall to the floor. I was able to stop, however, my stopping distance increased greatly. I was able to get where I was going but I parked the car after and refused to drive it. This same thing happened to me about a year ago, but after a day the pedal came back and seemed to be operating correctly. I had a brake maintenance done, and everything looked fine. I assumed maybe it was a fluke. Since that time I have replaced all pads and rotors, so when this event happened again I knew it had to be something else. I looked around a little bit and it appears I am not the only one having this issue. I had the ABS pump replaced about a week ago, and so far it seems to be working. The mechanic that replaced the pump made the car go into an ABS event and the brake pedal stayed stiff. I do not know if this is the fix or not, but it brought my brake pedal back for the time being. I sincerely hope NHTSA investigates. Finding yourself with a low brake pedal is terrifying, especially in winter.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Dec 012007

Milan

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Milan. While operating the vehicle and depressing the brake pedal, the ABS indicator illuminated and the vehicle would not immediately stop. The brake pedal extended to the floor and the braking distance increased. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ABS was faulty. The ABS module was replaced, but the failure continued. The module was replaced with the manufacturer's updated module and the failure was remedied. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Laurys Station, PA, USA

Dec 192016

Milan

Several times over the years I have noticed while breaking the pedal goes soft. It happens sporadically. When it happens we check break fluid level which is always good. When hearing about the current investigation, it all makes sense. I believe my car has a defect with the anti-lock system.

- Mansfield, IL, USA

Jul 062013

Milan

Lost my front brakes after hitting pothole on one occasion and has happened a few times in wet weather with minor bumps, figured out that I had to turn my vehicle off to reset computer and pumped my brakes as if I just changed them and they came back.the first time this happened was about three years ago made some calls to dealers with no answers and my mechanic couldn't find anything and has happened at least 4 times since then

- Nashua, NH, USA

Dec 122016

Milan

In two separate instances, I had to brake hard on slippery surfaces. Both times the anti-lock brakes engaged and stopped me, but in each case the next time I applied the brakes the pedal went soft, nearly touched the floor and the braking was less effective. In both instances the vehicle was in motion, on a street.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Nov 242016

Milan

When the car is under braking (light or heavy) conditions over rough or uneven surfaces, such as a manhole cover, or on slippery roads, the anti-lock braking system does not work properly. This increases the distance required to stop the car, heightening the chance of a crash. Specifically- the vehicle is operating under normal braking circumstances over a rough or slippery surface at less than 30mph, at this time the ABS engages (sometimes inappropriately/too conservative application of ABS), and it feels as if air is injected into the hydraulic system by the ABS pump at this time (not 100% sure if that is what is occurring, but that is what it feels like), as the pedal will become either very soft (poor brakes with heavy bias front to back throughout the pedal travel) or go all the way to the floor (no brakes). If the brakes are pumped in a panic mode rapid succession after this "no brakes" condition, the pedal will increase in stiffness somewhat, but still only what I would characterize as 30% braking effectiveness. Barely enough to come to a stop in a reasonable distance. After this ABS pump cycling, the pedal will also have a different braking "feel" with every single subsequent brake pedal operation cycle. Sometimes the rear brakes engage first, not slowing the car sufficiently enough w/out the front brakes, forcing increased pedal pressure to be applied, then the front brakes engage suddenly and unsettle the car. This braking condition lasts indefinitely after the ABS pump cycling event. Even if the brakes are bled by a Ford or otherwise qualified mechanic, the car is subject to this same behavior upon the next cycling of the ABS braking system. The vehicle has 201K miles, and has been exhibiting this annoying and dangerous behavior since approximately 75K miles. Date occurred field on this webpage is most recent time that this has occurred over many years.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

Dec 082016

Milan

I loose anti lock brakes completely/partially when stopping suddenly. The brakes become very "loose" meaning all they way to the floor. I noticed this starting last year, then again this year.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Dec 092016

Milan

12/9/16 after ABS activated on ice, the brake petal went to the floor. Now it takes several pumps of the brakes to stop quickly. Also, it can start to roll back when starting the car if the brake petal isn't firmly pressed down. Car at Ford dealer now. They said it needs a new hydraulic control unit which isn't being manufactured.

- Lima, OH, USA