1.7

2008 Mercury Milan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Milan:

2008 Mercury Milan Owner Comments

Feb 022016

Milan

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that the vehicle was going into limp mode and there was a drastic reduction in speed. The contact had to maneuver the vehicle each time the failure happened. The manufacturer generated a service campaign, but stated that the contact's vehicle was not included. The dealer stated that the throttle body may need to be replaced. The approximate failure mileage was 162,000.

- River Falls, WI, USA

Dec 082015

Milan

Well, there have been lots of problems with my Mercury. On my trips to Tennessee to care for my elderly parents, on a return trip from Tennessee to Florida, my car lost power steering and slowed to a crawl. I was able to manipulate my car to the side of the road where it was not overheating but would not increase in speed past 20 mph. I was able to take an exit and find an autoparts store and have the engine checked, the belt had come completely off without being broken. I had to have this replaced. I have experienced a total loss of coolant when the hose broke loose. Also, my problems with the wear and replacement of brake pads and rotors very, very frequently. This seems to be a major issue with this car. This morning, 12/8/2015, on my way to work the wrench light came on and I noticed my car jumping when slowing and changing to the lower gears and also upon accelerating, the jumping also occurred. I have contacted my mechanic and am awaiting a response.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Jul 082014

Milan 4-cyl

The car has a defective throttle body actuator which is causing the car to have no acceleration or unexpected acceleration at various times.

- St Peters, MO, USA

Jul 152014

Milan 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at about 45 mph when engine seemed to gradually lose all power. I steered the car onto the shoulder of the road to get out of traffic and subsequently turned the car off and then re-started it, at which point it seemed to drive okay but at times still felt like it might stall. The check engine light came on, as well as the wrench light and traction warning light. The wrench and traction lights went off eventually but the check engine light continues to be on. A few days after the initial incident I was at a stop sign near my house in the vehicle and when I went to accelerate through from the stop sign there was practically no acceleration. I was able to turn around and drive back to my house but only at a speed of less than 5mph the whole way (approx 1/4 mile). As I had to go up a small hill to get to my house, the car did not have enough power to get all the way up the hill and I had to pull over again and re-start the car, at which point I was able to make it the rest of the way home.

- Salem, MA, USA

Jul 032014

Milan

I was driving down the hwy when my wrench light came on. All of a sudden, I lose power and can't get past 45 mph and the tachometer goes into the red. I shut off the car, call a tow truck and have it towed to the Ford dealership. They did a diagnostic and said the my 2 and 4 gears are gone and that I would need a new transmission to the tune of $7200. The car only has 89,000 miles on it and after researching online, I found that Ford has been having issues with this particular transmission.

- Fairview, TN, USA

Mar 032014

Milan 4-cyl

Transmission erving out between 45-55 miles per hour and would not shift into higher gear. This was also causing it to idle rough when at a stopped position. Lately it will hit an area in the transmission where it will wind the transmission out to 5500 RPM's and not shift.

- Waconia, MN, USA

Jan 202014

Milan 4-cyl

While pulling out of a parking lot into the street, the electronic throttle body failed, putting the car into a "safe mode" with extremely limited power. Was able to use reverse to move car back into parking lot. I know that this exact issue (loss of power due to electronic throttle body failure) has caused a recall for some Ford and Mercury models, including the Milan, but it does not yet include my car's model year. From my experience, the recall should be expanded.

- Homeworth, OH, USA

Feb 042014

Milan

My 2008 Mercury Milan stalls and accelerates rapidly when driving. I have to place my feet on the brakes and gas at stops because the engine increases power and the car actually jumps at times without my foot being on the pedal. There is no warning before this rapid acceleration and I have actually almost hit other cars because of this defect. My vehicle stalled a couple of days ago and I took it to a local dealership and I was informed that I needed to replace the following items. 1. power train control module 2. ignition coils 3. spark plugs 4. throttle body I called Ford's customer service and explained that the car was dangerous to drive and I was informed that it was nothing the company could do to assist me.

- Durham, NC, USA

Oct 012013

Milan 4-cyl

Upon putting vehicle in reverse the throttle increased on its own reaching nearly 6K rpms, by quickly placing the shift lever in neutral and applying the brake I was able to avoid a collision. Restarted the car engine light was on as well as the maintenance light, after checking for codes 2110 was present, cylinder 3 had misfired. Drove the car home it was fine. Drove the car for a week with 2 more of the same incidents (increased acceleration with out pushing the pedal) while driving. On 10/14/13 while at a stop light the car increased the throttle on its own to 6K rpms and upon release of the brake my tires broke loose and began to squeal again I was able to control the car by shifting in to neutral and the rpms settled at 600, I shifted back into drive and it has been fine for 2 days. After little research it seems like this is a common issue (google search) the electronic throttle body is malfunctioning at random mileage ranges and without warning in both the Mercury Milan and Ford Fusion. I am highly concerned that a replacement part would not even fix the vehicle. Its not safe to drive and people need to be warned, might be like Toyota incident.

- Lino Lakes, MN, USA

Aug 222013

Milan

I was driving down highway 27 when all of a sudden my Milan lost acceleration and would not keep current speed. I drifted over to the side of the road when it turned off completely. The ac/radio/windows still worked but the car would not crank back up. The engine felt like it was shaking while trying to start it back. After about 5-10 minutes the car started right back up and had no other issues until about 3 days later. I thought it might be bad gasoline so I did purchase a fuel cleaner to see if that would help. The problem came back another 2 days later where it would lose acceleration and just drift to a stop. Same issue of having to wait a few minutes before the car would start back up again. The car is now completely parked at my parents house since I can not trust when the car will work or not work. I have two small children and cannot be rear ended because this issue is happening.

- Clermont, FL, USA