2009 Mercury Milan brakes NHTSA complaints: Service Brakes

NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2009 Mercury Milan (Page 1 of 2)

2009 Mercury Milan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Mercury Milan:

2009 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 122015

Milan

The contact owns a 2009 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that when attempting to stop the vehicle, the brake pedal went to the floorboard. The failure occurred without warning. The failure occurred on four occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact mentioned that the brake fluid was replaced and the vehicle was remedied. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 45,000.

- Fairhope, AL, USA

Jan 092017

Milan

I put in a previous complaint about soft brakes and now am having the issue again. Last night a car cut me off and so I had to apply the brakes hard and after that the brake pedals went soft and had to be pressed all the way to the floor. Today the brakes are still the same and make braking very difficult.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Dec 192016

Milan

I was driving on a road when I struck a bump and my brakes went simultaneously, this was 3weeks ago so I didn't think anything of it other than I may need some breaks. I got my breaks done today but I still have this same problem with the pedal going to the floor. Which prompted me to go online to investigate further

- St Clair Shores, MI, USA

Dec 202016

Milan

The car was in motion and as we tried to stop the brakes had to be pushed all the way to the floor to stop. This was in wet weather but it happened all the way for 30 minutes on the highway on the way to work, and 5 minutes the night before on side streets. This was not because of icy roads. On the way home it was fine. No antilock brake lights or stopping mechanism came on. The brakes seem to randomly adjust as to how much pressure is applied. Brakes also squeek when backing out. This has been looked at several times with no resolution.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jan 052017

Milan

My brakes lose pressure if I hit a bump when braking or if I slide on something while braking. After the brakes lose pressure I have to pump they brakes until the pressure builds back up which usually takes a day or so. Today I slid in the snow and couldn't stop and slid into oncoming traffic, luckily I was able to correct and avoid a crash but not there is minimal pressure in my brakes which makes it difficult to judge stopping the snow while pumping brakes. Previously this has happened when was stopping and hit a piece of cardboard on the pavement and couldn't stop and went into the intersection. I have to make sure I don't brake on bridges where the bridge connectors are because this also causes the brakes to lose pressure. The only time the brakes lose pressure is if I am braking when I hit a bump or something that makes me slide. This has been going on for about a year but I didn't know how to file a complaint until I saw the article last week, today it actually happened again so I am dating this today.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 252016

Milan

When I hit the brakes and the ABS is activated the brakes seem to go out. They go all the way to the floor and I have to pump the brakes to get them to work. But that does not fix the problem. I have to continue to pump the brakes and sometimes after a while they come back but other times they do not come back right away. This happens when the road is wet or if I have to stop short. I have a 2009 Mercury Milan. The last time this happened was the weekend of November 25th I had to stop short and the brakes went out. They are still not back to normal I have to constantly pump the brakes if I don't the brake is down to the floor. And I just replaced the front brakes during that week. This has occurred numerous times with the car.

- West Babylon, NY, USA

May 052015

Milan

The contact owns a 2009 Mercury Milan. While driving approximately 35 mph, a grinding noise was heard when the brake pedal was depressed. The brakes began to lose pressure and failed to stop the vehicle. The contact coasted the vehicle to the side of the road, pumped the brake pedal, and was able to resume driving. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was told by the technician that the failure could be due to the ABS pump system that failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 192,319.

- Kenly, NC, USA

Oct 112015

Milan

The contact owned a 2009 Mercury Milan. While driving approximately 40 mph, the brake pedal traveled to the floor when depressed. The dealer diagnosed that the brakes were spongy, but good. One month later, the failure recurred while driving approximately 35 mph. As a result, the contact rear ended the preceding vehicle. The crash also affected three other vehicles. The driver's side air bag deployed. A police report was filed. The driver sustained injuries that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a tow yard. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Dec 242016

Milan

The car was in motion when it hit a bump getting off a ramp from the highway. The brake pedal became 'soft'. had to push the brake pedal to the floor in order for the car to stop. Local dealer has stated that this is not the first time they've seen this brake issue on a car between 2007 - 2009, Ford Fusion\Mercury Milan.

- Glenville, NY, USA

Dec 042016

Milan

On more than 5 occasions while driving on rough terrain or a wet surface my brakes went soft and failed to stop my vehicle completely. All incidents occurred while driving on a city street at the speed limit. The vehicle was taken to the mechanic two times after two separate incidents and there was no problem with the brakes found. After the latest occurrence I did some research online and found out there was a problem with the anit-lock control braking module. We paid a total of $1,095.05 to have it corrected. Not a problem since.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 012016

Milan

I understand there is a preliminary investigation concerning braking systems in Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan models from the years 2007 to 2009. I have a 2009 Mercury Milan. Twice in as many months, my brakes "go soft" after driving over a rough patch of road (that needs to be resurfaced), requiring substantial pressure on the brake pedal to slow and come to a stop. The "soft" brakes last several days after each incident, requiring us to pump the brakes to get them to engage more quickly. Even after the brakes seem to "recover, " they take more pressure to engage than before the incidents occurred (and is more noticeable after driving our 2010 Ford escape, where the brakes engage easily).

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jan 022017

Milan

The brakes do not stop the vehicle in the normal distance, but an extended distance. Since 2013 we've had numerous repair/servicing visits to correct the issue. The most recent on September 22, 2016. Hundreds of dollars have been spent to correct the situation. And just today, my wife report the problem is again occurring. Although we have endured this problem prior, for this report, the date will indicate today's date, as that is the most recent occurrence.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Nov 202016

Milan

When I pressed on the brake to stop there was a cracking sound then the brake pedal went to the floor. When I drove forward and pumped the brakes they were almost normal. Had a mechanic check it out and brakes were normal to him. Did it three more times. We had pads routers and one galiper on the back tires replaced. Also bled all 4 brakes. Was ok for a few days but started again. This happened on the highway and on country roads.also had the tires rebalanced and aligned but nothing changed. I'm afraid to drive it.

- Painesdale, MI, USA

Jun 012016

Milan

As reported by several other Milan owners, which NHTSA is currently investigating, my brakes are "soft". while in motion and attempting to brake, the petal goes to the floor, leaving me to only hope my car will stop in time to avoid personal or vehicular injury. I am a retired Ford engineer and know this is an FMVSS, serious violation. I have taken it to three repair shops, including two Ford dealers, and each has told me I need a new hydraulic control cylinder which is about a $2000 repair. This repair cost is about half the current value of the vehicle. I am hoping that your investigation will force a recall repair at little or no cost to me. I purchased this vehicle new from Ford. Please advise any other actions I need to pursue.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 052014

Milan

The contact owns a 2009 Mercury Milan. While driving various speeds and attempting to stop by depressing the brake pedal, the brake pedal traveled to the floor. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to stop. The contact was able to stop the vehicle by going up onto a curb. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ABS module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Dec 132016

Milan

The break vibrates when trying to break over rough terrain. Also the breaking distance takes longer. Some occasions I have to press the break hard enough to come to a complete stop.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 202016

Milan

Brakes became soft. ABS system and total brakes failed. Car was in motion gong through intersection when brakes became very soft and failed to stop car

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Nov 242016

Milan

After hard braking on an icy hill on a rough unpaved private road, the brake pedal went very soft and has not recovered. The car was moving at low speed, 10 mph or less at the time of braking. Icy patches made the road very rough. When I braked, I held the pedal down so that the ABS would stop the car.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jan 052015

Milan

I was entering a toll booth at a speed of 5 mph. My brake pedal lost all pressure and was close to the floor. This happened on 2 occasions. The brake pedal returned to normal after turning the car off and restarting. The situation was triggered by a small bump in the road at the tollbooth. Holman Ford replaced the ABS hydrolic control unit and the module. I have the receipt for the repair.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Sep 012016

Milan

The contact owns a 2009 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that while driving at any speed and depressing the brake pedal, the brake pedal failed and seized intermittently. The vehicle was driven to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the brake pad had at least 20,000 miles left. The failure recurred intermittently. The manufacturer was notified about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 96,000.

- Berkley, MI, USA