NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2010 Mercury Milan (Page 2 of 7)

2010 Mercury Milan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Apr 232014

Milan 4-cyl

Immediately after entering a main highway, the engine seemed to die yet idled around 1000 RPM. The dash lights came on, the engine sputtered, but wouldn't increase speed and vehicle wouldn't move more than 2 or 3 miles per hour. After getting it off road and turning ignition off for a couple of minutes, it started and drove fine.

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Feb 122014

While driving the car begins to lose power. Then the car looses the ability to control it and appears to not have any gas going to it. The wrench on the dash board appears and the power steering goes out. The car appears to not be getting any gas. I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped the car. After it sits for a few minutes it will start again. Sometimes it starts up and doesn't happen for awhile. Other times it will happen again in a few minutes. It can happen at any speed or at anytime. Extremely dangerous if it happened on an interstate highway.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Mar 062013

Milan 4-cyl

Purchased this Milan in 2011 with 22K miles. Immediately noticed issues with the 6-speed 6F35 automatic causing the car to stop accelerating under load, leaving me dead in the water when merging in traffic. I was not informed that Ford already knew of issues and I was in and out of the dealer with nothing done, until the trany had more damage. It was repaired but never properly stress tested, by either of two dealerships I went to. According to the tsb if the trany exhibited certain grades of failure, it required reprogramming and then valve body replacement, followed by a stress test to verify there was not any more extensive damage. The most I got after the valve body was changed was a suggestion that I change my trany fluid that had already been changed by Ford 20K miles earlier. I then started having issues with the rear tail lights (brake/parking), with ones flickering intermittently in the cold and then dieing completely, or going full intensity and never switching back to just parking light mode. Had to replace both at high cost, Ford lists $400 each, basically for the equivalent of a $2 bulb. I am an ee, specializing in manufacturing, and after taking one of the failing ones apart found it is was probably related to poor part choice or design. There was nothing damaged due to water or impact. I would dump this vehicle, however I still have payments and ethically I can not sell it on the open market worrying somebody else may have a dangerous issue with it due to the questionable transmission. If the transmission had any type over stress that required the level if testing mentioned in the tsb, which is almost impossible to do in vehicle, the whole trany should have been pulled.

- Plaistow, NH, USA

Mar 232014

Milan 6-cyl

I felt a big jolt as I was pulling out of my neighborhood. It felt like I hit something. My son even got out of the car and looked underneath. Then the next day, as I was pulling out of a grocery parking lot, it was revving up but wouldn't go, like it wasn't in gear. I stopped, put it in park for a minute, then back to drive. It started going but happened again at the next intersection. Third day, I took it to the dealership, and they said it needed a computer update. Luckily, I do have an extended warranty, so there was no charge. That was two days ago, and it seems to be okay for now, but I'm so afraid to drive it in heavy traffic, and I'm hesitant now every time I have to pull into traffic when leaving the store or my neighborhood.

- Texas City, TX, USA

Jan 302013

Wrench light came on and car started shaking and sputtering and would not advance and I almost got rear ended. I feel this is a serious problem and needs to be addressed. Also the engine light came on. Thank you

- Key West, FL, USA

Jan 232014

While traveling at 55mph my vehicle stalled, lost all power and came to a stop at the side of the road. It was restarted several times each time with the wrench symbol illuminated. Was only able to drive home at 45mph and the car bucked and stalled two times. Will be calling Ford for repair. Luckily I signed up for the extended service plan when I purchased this vehicle as a certified pre owned car at the dealership. This is obviously a throttle body issue which I will be explaining to the tech's when I bring it in for repair. And more importantly, this is a major safety issue for the occupants of this car and other cars involved if an accident were to occur.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jan 092014

Milan 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway at about 60 mph when my car suddenly lost all drive power without warning. I managed to coast to the snow-covered right shoulder. When I put the vehicle in park, it was shuddering and the engine warning lights were on. I turned the car off for a minute and then turned it back on. The car seemed to drive ok then, but I immediately took it to the dealership and learned that the diagnostic codes indicated a failure in the throttle body. If this is a faulty part it should be recalled. I feel I was lucky to be able to get my disabled car off the road without incident. The next person may not be so fortunate.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Jan 032014

I was driving down the highway traveling at approximately 50mph when the car suddenly started to lose power and I was not able to accelerate--car was coasting. The wrench light came on at the same time as well. I turned on my hazard lights and was able to coast to the shoulder of the road. The car started to sputter as it slowed down and eventually lost all power/stopped. I turned the car off, and was able to start back up again...very confusing and annoying.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Dec 112013

Milan 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway traveling at approximately 60mph when the car suddenly stalled and I was not able to accelerate. The wrench light came on at the same time as well. I turned on my hazard lights and was able to coast to the shoulder of the road. The car started to shake a lot as it slowed down. I turned the car off, and was able to start back up again. The very next morning while traveling a 50mph on a different highway the same thing happened again. I took it to the dealership to have a diagnostic run on the car as I had no idea why it was stopping. As I was about to turn into the dealership traveling at 25mph it stalled again. The result of the diagnostic test was there was a code stored in system of the electronic throttle body. It was giving a code for being stuck open when it should not have been. It was a failed component. After further internet research there is an open NHTSA investigation action number PE13003 ( for this exact issue. I would like my vehicle to be added to the investigation as this is a serious safety defect with my vehicle that could have caused me bodily harm or death. It needs to be addressed and the part recalled.

- Kansas City , MO, USA

Dec 192013

I was driving about 40 miles per hour and then all of the sudden the car stop working properly. The wrench lit up on the dashboard. I decided to pull to the side and turn off the car. After turning off the car, I turned it on again and I was able to drive for about 4 miles. Then, when it was time to drive it up a hill, it did the same.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Nov 182013

Milan 4-cyl

It first occurred when I drove on the highway and it shut off when I was at a stop light. After waiting a minute I turned the car on and it started. The next occurrence happened when I was driving my vehicle on the highway going 60 mph it started downshifting until it stopped at 0 mph and made kind of a tutting noise until it stopped. The maintenance light came on and the car started shaking. Afterwards the check engine light came on. I turned off the car and waited a minute and tried to start the car up after. It took about a minute for the car to start up and eventually started up. I went about 35-45mph a couple of miles down the road and the car downshifted again and shut off. The car started shaking again. I then waited again and started it up again. I drove the car into a neighborhood driving 20 mph to park it up and it get it out of the way from being on the highway.

- Port Wentworth, GA, USA

Nov 062013

Car stalled 3 times - car was purchased on 10/5/13.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 192013

Vehicle is randomly stalling out, check engine light on. It starts vibrating and making clunking noise. It happens randomly whether sitting at a light taking off or driving at high speeds. This car is literally falling apart and I haven't even owned it a year. I would never buy another Mercury.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Nov 232013

Milan 6-cyl

I was driving on a highway, felt a jerk in the engine, and was no longer able to accelerate. The engine continued to run and all electrical components (lights, radio, etc.) were operational, but the car would only decrease speed so I stopped the car on the shoulder. I noticed that the engine stuttered considerably while idling and would not respond to the throttle. The wrench warning light was illuminated on the dashboard. I shut the engine off and called for a tow truck. The tow truck driver arrived after 20 minutes and was able to drive the car onto the flatbed. Some ability to drive forward had returned but I was wary. I had the car transported to a Ford dealership and the service technician identified the throttle body as the culprit ($425 to repair). I've learned subsequent to my experience that this problem is quite common with 2009 - 2011 Mercury Milan. The throttle body repair is covered for 2 years. I'm concerned that this problem may repeat.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 152013

Milan 4-cyl

Car idle at stop sign, accelerated into highways to make a left turn, loss of power, engine accelerating, but car moving very slowly, stalled. I pulled the car over on the side of the road, and turned the engine off. When I restarted the car a few minutes later, I was able to drive home without any problem. Then, a few days later, as I was on the way to flow auto in winston-salem, nc, about 6 miles from my home, the car stalled during another left hand turn from a stoplight. I purchased this car less than 3 months ago. It had 36,205 miles on it at purchase. Flow auto says the problem is the throttle drive and it isn't covered under the warranty. Within 90 days of purchase, I have to pay $662 for a repair that has been reported thousands of times by owners of Ford Focus and Mercury Milan owners, since the car was produced.

- Pfafftown, NC, USA

Nov 082013

On 5 different occasions during the past week while driving between 70 and 80 mph on the freeway the vehicle stalled and went into limp mode. On one occasion this nearly caused an accident as the vehicle stopped in the middle lane of a three lane highway. No warning lights displayed other than "limp mode light" when the vehicle engine goes to idle. Upon shutting vehicle off and restarting, vehicle behaves as normal with no indicator/warning lights. Took vehicle to shop to get check engine codes, vehicle shows no error codes.

- Howell, MI, USA

Oct 122013

It sounds like the electronic throttle body problem that others are having. This has now happened 6 times (3 in excess of 60 mph). While driving the engine clunks, the check engine wrench light comes on, loose all acceleration power, and the engine is very sputter. After pulling/coasting off the road, turn the car off, wait, and then it starts right up without problem.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Oct 212013

About a month ago this first happened as I went to accelerate the wrench light came on and could get no power near traveling 55 mph the wrench appeared again and I could no longer accelerate if a car was behind me I would have got nailed. I pulled over turned the car off and back on and it worked until each time I was at a stop light the RPM would sputter and the car would stall. Reading nearly 200 similar complaints someone is bound to get seriously injured if it has not happened yet. If this was winter... I seriously crash on the road I was traveling.

- Broadalbin, NY, USA

Oct 172013

After coming to a stop and turned the corner, there was no power. Pulled over and shut the car off and waited a few minutes and restarted. The wrench light that was on, shut off once the car started up. Took it into the dealer. They could find nothing wrong after a diagnostic test. Do not feel secure in driving as wonder when this will happen again.

- Elk River, MN, USA

Sep 302013

Milan 6-cyl

It has happened many times since the first time, but I was driving down the highway at approximately 50 mph and the orange wrench light came on and I could not get my gas pedal to do anything. I pulled over, shut the car off and restarted it and it was fine for a couple of days with no incidents. Then it did it about a week later, several times in a row going down the interstate. It seems to start up ok after I shut it down, but very unsafe to be driving down the interstate at 70 mph and then have no power and have to pull off. My engine light turns on after this happens a couple of times and then will shut off after a couple times of driving.

- Des Moines, IA, USA