2010 Mercury Milan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jul 112013

Milan 6-cyl

I had just pulled out of my driveway this morning and began to accelerate, up to about 20 mph, when all of a sudden I lost total power. I looked down at the dash while steering the vehicle over to the side of the street, and noticed the "wrench" light was lit up. I immediately shut the car off, and got out my manual. The manual said the light indicated a transmission/power train/AWD issue. I thought I would attempt to start the car again, and see what it would do. I restarted the vehicle, and the wrench light was no longer went, and I had power when I put it in gear. I took my chances, and went ahead and drove it work, hoping it was just a fluke, but decided I would investigate to see if others had experienced the same issue. I came across the entire listing of others who were experiencing this issue so thought I better immediately get it to the dealer and put on diagnostics. I explained to them what I thought the issue might be, the throttle body problem I had read about. They put it on diagnostics, but the only code which came up was a P0456, saying I needed to replace a valve--this code is indicated by the "service engine" light, and not the "wrench". he said they could find no codes for the "wrench" light. I told him that was strange, because the wrench light came on when I lost power. He told me the P0456 could make the car have the same types of issues. I told him I had been driving with the P0456 code for an extended period of time, and it had never affected the performance of the vehicle, so I didn't understand why it would do it now. I feel like this is the same type of issues others are experiencing, but the service manager told me previously when they saw the throttle body issue, there was always a code. Not sure why there is no code showing up, but that also seems to be common. Guess I will take my chances driving at this point.

- Salina, KS, USA

Jun 232013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving on the highway 60 mph without warning the wrench light illuminated and the vehicle lost power. I had no engine control. Was able to shift into neutral and pull over safely onto the shoulder without being rear ended. Engine exhibited rough idle approximately 800 to 900 RPM. The car was in a limp mode.the gas pedal had no effect. Turned the ignition off and restarted the vehicle wrench light turned off and was able to drive the vehicle normally for 5 miles before the wrench light illuminated and the vehicle lost power. I was able to drive the car home. Connected a scan tool to the obd and no codes were present. The following day driving with the scan tool connected at 40 mph the same symptoms occurred. The scan tool registered code P2111 throttle actuator control system stuck open. Fortunately I was able to pull safely. Mentioned the issue to the local Lincoln dealer and was told this is a common problem with this vehicle and the throttle body assembly needs to be replaced. Was told that the part in on national back order and is not available. This is not acceptable. The problem occurred 6 times within a 10 day period. This car is not safe to drive. The vehicle should be recalled without hesitation and the safety issue resolved.

- Harrison, NY, USA

Jul 042013

Milan

I was driving about 45 mph and felt a jerk motion and lost engine responses to gas pedal. The check engine and the wrench lights came on. I managed to pull it over on the road shoulder and stopped engine and restarted it. I continued to drive and this happened again in 2 miles. I stopped and restarted engine and drove home carefully. I did a research online and found this might be caused by the engine throttle body issue complained by a lot of Mercury 2010 owners. I called a Mercury/Lincoln dealer and they asked for $800 to fix it if this was a throttle body issue. They also told me there is no recall on this problem.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

May 312013

Milan 6-cyl

The car behaves as if it was suddenly put into neutral. When you hit the gas the engine revs, but the transmission does not engage. The wrench and engine lights come on, and the car will sometimes sputter like it is going to shut off completely. The only way to get the car to function normally is to stop the car and turn it off and back on. I have had this happen on major highways and other busy roads. The problem is unpredictable. A mechanic has determined this to be a problem with the throttle body, but the part is on national back order. My car is un-drive-able.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Jun 282013

Milan

I was driving with my infant in the car and it suddenly slowed to 20 mph in heavy traffic. Luckily I was able to get into a turn lane and then it died. I was very fortunate that the SUV behind me did not hit me. He slammed on his brakes and laid on his horn. Very scary. The dealership says it is the throttle body, which is on national back-order and they do not know when it can be fixed. They have 5 others right now with the same issue.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jun 242013

Milan 6-cyl

This vehicle (Mercury Milan 2010) stalled intermittently at stop signs and traffic lights. Stalling out more frequently, I notified my mechanic, who informed me, this is a current problem with Ford vehicles and Ford may be initiating a car recall for the hundreds of thousands of cars of which the throttle problem is occurring. I am repairing the vehicle on my own dime for our own safety, with the intention to file a reimbursement for this problem when Ford (Mercury) will at a later time, send a recall out for this extreme impairment to the propulsion of the vehicle.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Jun 212013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving 50mph going up a hill the car lost all power and the wrench symbol came on. Got pulled over to the side of the road after almost being hit twice. Turned the car off and waited 5 min. Restarted the car and it ran fine. Then 2 days later the same thing happened. Took it to the dealer and it coded out as the throttlebody. Well guess what they are on national back order with no estimated date of delivery. So here I sit hurry up and wait.

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Mar 222013

Milan 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and all of a sudden my vehicle pulls N hesitates to go, as I look in my dash a little wrench pops up.. my car lost all it's power and would not go. I set on my hazards and turn my vehicle off and back on and it was fine.. I call the Mercury dealership and she tells me as long as the wrench did not pop up with a check engine sign I was fine. Well weeks go by my vehicle was fine, then out of the blue it does the same thing, wrench pops up in the dash and my vehicle goes in limp mode... mind you this strikes without warning and is very dangerous! there is no indication when and here it will happen. I take it to the place I've always taken my vehicles and they tell me it's fine, no codes in the diagnostics..so I pick my vehicle up, two weeks later my car stalls out with a wrench and a check engine light. I've almost been slammed from behind twice. I take it to the dealership and they are trying to charge me $389 to fix a problem that has obviously been a manufactor error. This by far is not a preventive maintenance issue, this is by far a dangerous situation.

- St Robert , MO, USA

Nov 152012

Milan 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph the vehicle began to vibrate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact stated on another occasion the vehicle stalled while driving approximately 50 mph. The engine and wrench warning lights illuminated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 222013

Milan 4-cyl

On Friday I was decelerating to turn right. I was traveling at about 30mph when the rpms dropped off and the engine lost power. I coasted into a business where the engine continued to run, but violently (no engine light). I cut the engine off and called my dealer's service department. While waiting for assistance I re-started the car. It started right up so I called service again and told them I'd drive it to them. After a day with my car the dealership could not duplicate the issue nor find anything wrong with the car. Additionally, they weren't able to get any trouble codes. I picked the car up on Saturday and got about 20 miles from the dealership when it did it again. This time I had the cruise set at 60mph when without warning the car began slowing. I looked and saw that the rpms had dropped and I couldn't accelerate or even maintain. I pull to the side of the road where I could feel the engine running extremely rough. I cut the engine off. After a few minutes I restarted and continued to drive. It cut out on me 6-7 more times before I could get it home. The engine light is now on. The dealership's now closed so I'm waiting until Monday to have it looked at again. I checked the obd II to find code: P2111. I normally travel interstate and cannot risk this happening at high speed during rush hour traffic!

- Saluda, VA, USA

Jun 212013

Milan

I was driving down a main street heading directly into the free way interstate. Once I approached the interstate I was caught the light.... I then began to take off once it turned green. I reach about 20mph and my car jerked and the wrench icon came on. I then noticed I had no power and no where to go because my car never got a good speed... I almost got hit twice and held up traffic... how embracing seeing that I have a perfectly nice car. Once I got it home( which took 3hrs driving at 10mph and cutting off) I took the car to my auto shop and informed me on a recall for this problem.... but guess what" the dealership said not for me car....if their is a recall on this part.. what makes my car different." So I ended up paying $300 bucks in repairs, losing $200 work day.... total loss....$500 on a part that is on recall... this is bull...

- Detroit , MI, USA

Dec 262012

- Steubenville, OH, USA

Jun 132013

Milan 4-cyl

This has happened to me so many times and I really don't deserve to have to come out of pocket and pay for this. My car is still under a power train warranty bug seems they do not cover a throttle body replacement. I was driving up I -20 going at least 75 mph and the car looses all acceleration and as I pull over it starts to shake, so I cut it off and crank if up again and it drives perfect until it decides to do it again. Dealership told me it would cost $500.44 to replace the throttle body and Milan's are having this issue. I'm so disappointed in Ford. Recall recall recall before someone gets hurt or die. We need to start a class a law suit.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Jun 122013

Milan

The first incident occurred when I was driving down the road with the cruise control at about 60 mph and the car would jerk and then would loose power and the check engine and the wrench light came on. The car would be in idle mode and I would have to stop and turn the car off and wait a few minutes before I try to start it again. The second is incident was basically the same only at a different location. The third I was in town going about 40 mph when the car jerked again and went into idle mode. The next few time that it happened I had a very hard time getting it started and moving again. Once I did get it started I would only be able to go a couple of blocks before the car would jerk and go into idle mode. I was lucky to get it to the Ford dealer without having to have it towed.

- Minier, IL, USA

Jun 092013

Milan

When I was driving to work on Sunday, I was going 70 on the interstate (I had my car set on cruise control). Out of nowhere, the wrench light turned on, my car made a very loud noise, and I was unable to accelerate my car. I had to pull over at an exit, and when I came to a complete stop, my car was shaking profusely. I turned my car off, and when I tried to start it, it took it several seconds to actually start. I figured it was just a glitch, so I didn't worry about it. Two days later, I was driving down another road going 45 mph, and I was driving up a hill (my foot was on the accelerator). The same thing happened again. So I took my car to a Ford dealer, and they determined that the throttle body needed to be replaced. Then, they informed me that the specific throttle body that I needed was back-ordered for 6 weeks (isn't that a sign that there needs to be a recall??), and that I would have to continue to drive my car like this until the end of July. After researching the issue, I found that over 27,000 throttle bodies have been replaced (foxnews.com), and that there are many other issues that have come up with my car. I don't feel safe when I am driving, especially because the throttle body "dies" (if that's what the technical term is) without any warning.

- Benton, AR, USA

Jun 092013

Milan

As I was driving the car suddenly stopped and wouldn't go forward. After numerous attempts to restart it finally would go again, but only about a quarter mile before shutting off again. I took it to a mechanic and they said it was codes P2111 and P2112 (the throttle body).

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 192012

Milan 6-cyl

I seem to be experiencing the same issue described here: www.ncconsumer.org/news%20articles/nccc%20petitions%20nhtsa%20for%20defect%20investigation%20into%20ford%20escape%20vehicles.html car will drive normally, then suddenly the wrench will come on and all throttle response / power will be gone. The car will no longer respond, and this can be very dangerous if you are in the middle of a turn, etc. Normally, if you turn shut the car off and then start it back up it will behave normally (at least for a little while) until the problem recurs.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 192013

Milan 6-cyl

In April of 2013 I left work and got up to 45 mph when the car jerked and then lost all power. I floored the gas and the engine did not respond. Was able to pull off the road and noticed a wrench icon light. I stopped the car and put it in park then gave it some gas with no response at all. The car was just barely idling. I shut it off and restarted it, took a few seconds longer than usual for it to start but it seemed to run fine after that and the wrench light was now off. Called the dealer and they said if it's running ok to just keep an eye on it, it might not repeat. I noticed the car would occasionally start jerking like a transmission problem. Took it into the dealer on May 28, 2013 and they could not find a problem. They said it sounded like a throttle body issue but they had none in stock and were back-order. On June 7th I was driving and the car again lost all power, pulled off the road and restarted. Car started but was jerking a lot more. Next day it lost power again as I pulled away from a stop light. Pulled over again, restarted, put in gear and the throttle did not respond. I went through this for 6 restarts until the throttle would respond. This time the engine light came on and remained on until it went to the dealer today. The dealer put my name on a wait list for a new throttle body and said it would be 3-6 weeks until it came in. I am now stuck with a car I'm paying on but can not drive for 3-6 weeks. I'm lucky this didn't happen on a highway or going through a busy intersection. Ford should be forced to recall these.

- Vallet City, OH, USA

May 282013

Milan 4-cyl

We were driving at normal freeway speed and I had a jolting sensation, like a bad transmission shift, followed by a loss of any acceleration or response from the accelerator. The engine didn't stall, but it slowed down to an idle. It was dangerous with the busy traffic and no speed control. I coasted onto the shoulder, stopped and shut the engine off. After several minutes I started it up and it drove normally for the rest of the 70 miles of our trip. The diagnostic report at the Ford dealer showed a throttle body problem. No parts are available, Ford has a national back order on the part, which shows the extent of the problem. The dealer's only solution was that I should try to return home in the car (140 miles) and go to my local dealer, which I did. My local dealer did a very good job of getting a part quickly and getting us back on the road. Because of the danger involved when this part flaw happens, this should considered for a recall and an alert to owners of the affected vehicles.

- Englewood, FL, USA

May 162012

Milan 6-cyl

The problems have occurred over the last year at low speed while accelerating, when shifting into reverse and at constant speed of 40mph. While accelerating from a full stop the car would suddenly stop accelerating for a few seconds and then lurch forward and begin to accelerate again. Upon startup the car lurched when put into reverse to exit garage. On 5/22/13 the car suddenly went into " limp mode" while at a speed of 40mph. It has been diagnosed by Ford dealer as a throttle body problem. The throttle body is on backorder with no definitive ship date. Car cannot be driven.

- Palos Heights, IL, USA