NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2010 Mercury Milan (Page 6 of 7)

2010 Mercury Milan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

May 162013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving my 2010 Milan at the speed of 55 mph, the car shook slightly and the wrench light appeared. The car began to lose power - I was able to steer with no problem. I could not accelerate. I shut the car off - and started it again. The first time it started with no problem. Within driving 4 more miles, the same thing happened again. This time I was driving 25 mph. It happened seven more times before the check engine light came on. Each time when I tried to start my car, it kept turning over before it would start. I waited for an hour on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck. When the tow arrived, the car started just fine - the check engine light was still on. This is extremely dangerous! I was driving in rush hour traffic and was almost rear ended on the highway. Again when it occurred in town, there was no where for me to coast off to the side of the road, I had to stop in traffic to restart me car.

- Bluemont, VA, USA

May 152013

I was driving going about 20mph and the vehicle would stall. Once I stopped again and tried to accelerate the wrench tool symbol appeared on the dash and the car shut down. While riding before the car shut off the engine was idling very roughly. This is the second time I have had the problem in the last 7 months and supposedly its a problem with the throttle. This is a very big to a lot of people including myself I see if Ford see there's a continuous problem please fix it because this is ridiculous.

- Marietta, GA, USA

May 122013

Milan 4-cyl

Driving about 40-50mph in traffic, the car suddenly jerked, felt like a hard gear-shift. The green wrench light & orange engine light came on and the throttle was unresponsive. The car still had power but no acceleration, engine sputtered, had to pull off the road while coasting, car was idling very rough so was shutdown. I was able to restart it but the problem recurred four times the next two days. Stopped at advance auto parts since it was early evening, they pulled dtc P2111 "throttle actuator control system stuck open" from car's computer and he says the throttle value is sticking. Scheduled service at world Ford dealership where car was purchased just four months prior. I was told the throttle body needed replacing "this is very common, we replace them all the time" he said. I purchased a powertrain extended warranty with the car that states it covers the "throttle valve" among its covered parts but the service man first says that's different than the "throttle body" (my understanding is the throttle valve is the plate inside the throttle body that opens/closes controlling airflow to the manifold, it that is "stuck open", it should be covered). He then says he doesn't even know what a "throttle value" is and says it will cost approx $350 to repair. They obviously know this is a problem and are taking advantage of their customers replacing the faulty parts.

- Cantonment, FL, USA

May 042013

I was driving at 50 mph and pull out to pass another card accelerating to 55 mph. The car lurched and started to lose power. I thought it was temporary but it continued to decrease to 40, 30, 20 and 10 mph which I pull over to the side of the road to prevent a hazard on the highway. I called aaa for a tow which arrived about an hour later. The next morning I decided to try and start the car. The wrench light was off and it started but I did not drive it. The next day which is Monday I decided I was going to chance it to take it to the dealer 30 miles away. It actually made it there and the diagnostic done by the dealer came up with no repair codes for the vehicle, subsequently, I picked it up and drove it home at the end of the day. On Tuesday, it started up and one mile from the house, it clunked out again and lost power. Again I called aaa to tow me to the dealer. I guess because it was a recent occurrence, the code showed up in the diagnostic so they claim it is fixed by replacing the throttle body assembly. It has driven well for one day and I hope it continues. Is this basis for a recall. Please advise.

- Ocean Pines , MD, USA

Sep 272012

Without warning, the vehicle lost power and the wrench light for the transmission came on along with the check engine light. We were at an intersection on a 6-lane highway over 600 miles from home. We were able to get off the highway by drifting off to a side road. The engine never died, but had no power at all. After shutting the car off and starting it back up, it ran fine and was able to get us home. However, within another couple of months it did the same thing again while we were on the highway approaching merging traffic. We were able to drift off the highway and start it back up. A mechanic checked the car, but was unable to detect anything wrong. It drove fine for another 3-4 months then did the same thing again only we were on an interstate and hardly had time to drift into the emergency lane between traffic. It again did this around 3 months as I just made it across the highway into the right lane. I immediately had to drift into the emergency lane and start the car up. I took it home until we could get it to the mechanic. We took it back to the mechanic and he again was unable to detect anything. He kept the car to drive himself for a week, but never witnessed the wrench light coming on or sluggish gear changing. He added fluid to it at a lack of knowing what else to do. We drove it close to 2 months now and it lost power with the wrench light coming on 3 times within a period of 40 minutes on a small road where we didn't have much room to get out of the way of traffic and on the highway just after pulling across the highway. The car is currently waiting to be looked at again by the mechanic. This issue is not showing up on computers. It has been very dangerous to drive and I feel unsafe all the time as I'm waiting for the next incident and fear I will not be as lucky at some point among traffic.

- Bean Station, TN, USA

Oct 172012

The vehicle (which only has 30,000 miles on it) will stall at any speed without notice. There is no throttle response and engine idles rough with black smokey emissions. This condition has happened several instances, the worst case being with my wife and child trying to accelerate into traffic and suddenly experiencing a stall/no throttle situation half way into the intersection. The stalling has consistently been remedied by cycling the ignition off and then on again, then its just a matter of 20 to 200 miles and it happens again.the dealer has failed to diagnose the problem and states Ford/Mercury has no knowledge of a problem.the wrench light illuminates only while problem exists, it does not store a code or remain lit.the dealer has worked closely with us but is at a loss as to what the problem is. This problem needs to be addressed before my family or someone else gets hurt or worse killed.

- Prairie Du Chien, WI, USA

Feb 162013

Milan 4-cyl

Stopped at a light making a right hand turn. Proceeded out into traffic and car would not speed up, then made a jerking movement like it was stuck in gear. Almost rear-ended. Took it to dealer where I have an extended warranty said they could not find anything wrong. When driving tires always seem like it is always rocking from side to side. Tires were rotated during regular maintenance and balanced but nothing seem to help what do I do. I like the car but would like to live to.

- Atlana, GA, USA

Apr 232013

Milan 4-cyl

Vehicle sputtered and lost all speed with no accelerator response. Green wrench comes on. After pulling over and restarting car was able to drive to dealership. Dealership pulled P1144A trouble code and replaced the purge valve. One day later, exact same issue happened and now they are replacing the throttle body.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Mar 222013

Milan 4-cyl

I was traveling at 65mph on the freeway when the wrench emblem went on my dashboard and I lost acceleration. I had the gas peddle pushed to the floor but there was no power. I pulled off the road and turned the car off and restarted it. I was able to get off the freeway and home. I have read several similar accounts and am surprised that Ford has not had a recall due to this issue. Does someone have to die before Ford will pay attention to this defect?

- Valley City, OH, USA

Jul 252012

Milan 4-cyl

Purchased this car used in July 2012. Is a 2010 and had low miles on it. Dealer claimed vehicle was a lease and was turned in. After driving the car several days, it stalled at stop sign, no engine light appeared. After re-starting, it drove fine. Several weeks later, vehicle again stalled at stop sign. No engine light. Vehicle was brought to dealer where the throttle body was replaced. Several days later, vehicle again stalled at stop light. This has been going on for over 9 months. It may not stall for several weeks. Dealer kept the car for one week, with a mechanic driving it as it was hooked up to portable diagnostic machine. It never stalled, nor did it show any engine lights. Dealer claims they cannot fix it if they do not see any indicators on diagnostic machine. It is no longer under warranty and if I want to continue to pursue this, I have to pay for each trip. Certainly, someone must have an idea of what is causing this as this seems to be a safety issue. I am expecting to be rear-ended any time now.

- Lyman, ME, USA

Jun 042012

Milan 6-cyl

Vehicle loses power at high speed while driving on highways. This problem has occurred 3 times and is a very dangerous situation. Fortunately no accidents have happened. Lincoln replaced a part but the incident has happened several times again since part was replaced. Lose power/stall out at high speed driving on highways.

- Pearl River, NY, USA

Oct 302012

Milan 4-cyl

Stalled three times, without warning, while traveling at 50 mph. Almost rear ended each time. Vehicle 38 month old and less then 34,000 miles. Replace throttle body. Please have Ford check into this before someone gets hurt.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Oct 042012

Qua daughter driving back and forth to work, vehicle sputters and loses all speed no throttle response. Has to pull over and restart engine then proceed with caution. Unit cuts off every 15 to 20 miles. Ford mechanic says its the throttle body assembly of course it's not under warranty.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Sep 052012

Milan 6-cyl

The problem started almost a year ago but did not seem to occur all the time. From take off, the car would stall and then re-engage with gusto. Up until the other day the car lost all power but was idling. I was able to move to the shoulder of the roadway, attempted to listen to what I heard and thought it was a bad gas issue and noticed the wrench and engine lights were on. I turned the vehicle off and then restarted to have full gas pedal response but the engine light stayed on. I proceeded down the road to the interstate but decided to get some fuel (3/8 of a tank existed) and some fuel additive. The car stopped and started without avail, as I entered the interstate 30 ramp the vehicle lost all power again. I pulled to the shoulder and repeated the previous restart. I called landers Ford in benton, ar and told them the issue and would be bringing the car into the facility. Not wanting to get back onto the interstate and possibly causing a wreck or traffic blockage, I drove using the outer road, the issue occurred at least twice while en-route. This is a continuing problem as my google search revealed and could be a major highway safety issue for someone living within the major areas of America. I have contacted Ford, the attorney general, and the BBB. The electronic throttle body is not something that should need replacement with newer vehicles and must be a known issue because it is listed as "not covered" under the vehicle warranty!

- Mabelvale, AR, USA

Mar 132012

Milan 4-cyl

I was entering the interstate at 60 mph when my car jerked, and lost response of the acceleration. The throttle control/transmission and check engine light came on, so I restarted the car and only the check engine light remained. I was able to exit the interstate and took my car to a auto store to run a check, was told the throttle actuator control system was at fault. Noticed that this is a problem that many owners of this year make and model have. Hopefully Mercury will recall this part.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 122012

Milan 4-cyl

I was entering the interstate at 50 mph when my car jerked, and lost both acceleration and power. The throttle control/transmission and check engine light came on, so I restarted the car and only the check engine light remained. I was able to exit the interstate and took my car to a auto store to run a check, was told the throttle actuator control system was stuck closed.

- Abilene, KS, USA

Jul 272012

Milan 6-cyl

I was driving down the interstate a couple of weekends ago and all of a sudden my cruise control shut off and I had no throttle response. I pulled over and the engine sputtered very badly. After turning the engine on and off, I made it to my destination. When I was coming back on Sunday, this preceded to happen two more times to me. Once when I was in the middle lane of a heavy traffic location. I couldn't accelerate or do anything besides break and avoid an accident, which was very close. I am lucky that no one got hurt but it became very evident that there was something wrong with the throttle in this car. After researching it more, I starting reading some of these same complaints, and the Ford mechanic I took it to even said this isn't the first or even the second time he has heard of this failing on the 2010 Milan. He claimed that was due to the electronic throttle bottle and believed it was from a defective unit on most units (good to know the problem except it wasn't covered under warranty, not recalled, and cost me $500). After hearing this, there is no way that this can not be recalled and fixed on every Milan that has this same unit with the same serial number. I don't know if any accidents have occurred directly from this problem but I was close to one that definitely would have cost some people some lives. I am sure if this is a defective unit it will definitely cause one soon.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Jul 262012

Milan 6-cyl

Started vehicle and noticed car jerking and not accelerating correctly. I was stopped at light approx 1/3 mile from start and car died at light, car restarted and made left turn onto busy freeway and car heisitated and stated jerking again with no acceleration. Moved to shoulder of road and called aaa to have car towed....unsafe and unable to continue drive home...15 miles ahead. Ford service pulled code P2111 from dashboard lights and said throttle body was 38000 miles. No recourse from Ford out of warranty 2000 miles. I was charged $198.55 labor and $137.80 with tax $347.96. They replaced part with a new part number...obviously they know this is a defective customer compensation.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jul 052012

Milan 6-cyl

I have had three instances of the car decelerating and stalling at high speeds. The most recent incident occurred twice on 7/26/12 while driving 65 mph on the expressway the car quickly decelerated and would not accelerate. The throttle light appeared the first time and after turning the engine off, the car started again; however it occurred a second time. I had to have the car towed 35 miles to the dealership. This is very dangerous and could have resulted in a serious collision during rush hour traffic with cars and trucks traveling at high speeds. I was fortunate enough to be in the right lane with easy access to the shoulder however, a truck carrying a heavy load had to swerve to prevent rear ending me. I have seen other complaints of this same problem on the internet and the dealership has acknowledged other repairs on the throttle body of this make and model.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 152012

Milan 6-cyl

Driving car slows and jerks press gas nothing happens. Pull over car jerks I cut it off and restart the engine. Works fine for a few moments then starts again. Repeated this process 6 times. Made it to the Ford dealer they replaced a throttle sensor. Worked fine after that. Then I traded it.

- Fletcher, NC, USA