NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2010 Mercury Milan (Page 3 of 5)

2010 Mercury Milan fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 212013

Milan 6-cyl

My wife was driving this car on the NJ garden state parkway at 65 mph in the express lanes when the vehicle started running bad and lost power. This was a dangerous condition to lose power at that speed. She pulled the car over to side, shut off engine, then restarted and was able to move vehicle about a mile and get off the parkway at exit 117 to route 35 South. The car again started to run bad and she pulled into a Ford dealership near this exit. The Ford dealer had to replace the throttle body which went bad. This took 5 days as there is a national shortage for this part.#ds7Z9E926D. It is evident that Ford has a serious problem with this part breaking down on thousands of cars as I see other customer complaints on the internet. I contacted Ford Corp. In detroit and was told not under warranty on my car. This needs to be a recall. I worry that this part is defective, won't last long and will have to be replaced again in the future. I worry about another breakdown at high speed--very dangerous condition.

- Linden, NJ, USA

May 062013

Driving and the engine light comes on and the car begins to loose power. Then the car looses the ability to control it and appears to not have any gas going to it and the wrench on the dash board appears and the power steering goes out. The car appears to not be getting any gas. I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped the car. After it sits for a few minutes it will start again. Sometimes it starts up and doesn't happen for awhile. Other times it will happen again in a few minutes. It can happen at any speed like 50 mph or at anytime.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jul 212013

Milan 6-cyl

Driving 65 mph on highway and car lost all power and yellow wrench light illuminated on dash. With car in limp mode pulled over to service lane. Car towed to local Ford dealer. Dealer replaced defective battery but found no codes stored in computer. Dealer test drove vehicle and reported no problem. Three days later same incident (loss of power and wrench light). Shut vehicle off and restarted it and engine had normal power L with wrench light extinguished. Drove vehicle to local Ford dealer and left it there for more diagnostics and repair. Very dangerous condition and feeling for all engine power to be gone unexpectedly.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Jul 122013

Milan 6-cyl

When I press the accelerator the car stalls out, or goes "limp". this has happened several times. When I turn the car off and restart it the car runs fine for a minute. Took it to Ford they said it was the throttle body part.

- Austell, GA, USA

Jul 202013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving on a busy city street my car suddenly lost engine power causing the vehicle to slow rapidly. The motorcyclist following behind my car narrowly missed hitting the rear of the car and the vehicle behind the motorcyclist swerved into oncoming traffic to avoid the motorcycle and my car causing vehicles in the oncoming traffic lane to also swerve to avoid an accident. The 2010 Milan continued to have the loss of engine power over the next two days and when taken to the dealership the problem was diagnosed as a defective throttle body. The loss of engine power and the sudden deceleration caused by the defective throttle body poses a significant threat to the safety of the vehicle and to other motorists. Ford is aware of the issue and needs to correct this problem before someone is injured or suffers a loss of life.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jul 232013

I work for the drug enforcement administration and my official government vehicle a 2010 Ford Mercury Milan stalled while driving on the highway at approximately 60 to 65 per hour. The car stalled and I had to pull over. I took the vehicle to the mechanic and was advised that there is a problem with the throttle body which causes the vehicle to stall. The part is on back order with Ford and a internet search for this problem is pretty wide spread. The stalling of a vehicle traveling on the highway is a serious hazard to the public. I don't know if this problem has been addressed with the Ford Motor Company.

- Central Islip, NY, USA

Jul 192013

Milan 6-cyl

Multiple times & variations, but always w/the same result. At any given moment, wrench light would come on & vehicle would lose all acceleration ability while it surged/idled very roughly. Each time, I pulled vehicle off road to the best of my ability, put it in park (would then idle rough, but surge less). Turned vehicle off, waited 5-10min, restarted & vehicle would function close to normally (minimal small surges while driving). While veh was malfunctioning, I could hold gasoline pedal to the floor w/no response. Could not manually shift (I have an automatic shiftable) past 2nd gear & veh would not progress forward - except if the engine surged. This problem happened more, with less time between failings as the day progressed until I could finally get to a populated area/small town. It is also worth mentioning, both mechanics that checked my vehicle for me could not find any "history" in my codes. However, the first Ford dealership was able to do a special check that found a "throttle body failure". they cleaned the throttle body (parts are back ordered till 9/24/13) & sent me on my way hoping that would fix the problem. It did not, so I stopped at the very next town after it happened again & left my Mercury Milan with a Ford dealership. Each time this happened it was really quite scary as traffic around me had no idea I was about to have catastrophic failure. Thankfully all drivers involved were quick enough to avoid rear ending me.

- Hermantown, MN, USA

Jul 042013

The first incident occurred while traveling on a highway going almost 60 mph when the cruise control stopped and the car slowed and when you pushed the gas petal it did nothing. We slowed and tried to pull to the side of the road, as the car was almost to a stop it started jerking and sputtering almost dying. We put it in park and turned the engine off. We turned the engine back on and it started just fine then this same thing continued to happen every few miles. Check engine light was on so we took it in to have a computer hooked up to see what was wrong but the check engine light had turned off so they were unsure. The problem seemed to just go away for about a week and then it happened again and we got it in and hooked up to a computer and got the codes which we were informed meant we needed the throttle body replaced and it was a common problem with these cars and to contact a Ford dealer. Since this last incident it has happened multiple times causing us to not be able to drive the car even a few blocks without it happening 3-4 times. We are now without a vehicle as it is not only unsafe to drive but very inconvenient to have to stop and go a million times to make a short drive. This is ridiculous and from all I have researched it a huge problem for many owners of these and similar cars! this is dangerous and should be recalled and those with issues should not be responsible for making these repairs!

- Antigo, WI, USA

Aug 092012

Driving down highway car went into limp mode. Had to pull over restart car. Was good for a while now its doing it 2-3 times just driving a couple miles. If car is left idling sometimes it just dies on its own. Trouble code P2111 comes up. Wanted to change the throttle body but they are on national back order.

- Calumet, MI, USA

Jun 202013

Milan 6-cyl

Pulling on to a busy street the vehicle lost all power. We were nearly rear ended and had to deal with an agitated driver. The vehicle would idle but had no power. This allowed us to move to the side of the road. After a period of the time the vehicle was restarted and performed normally. Although this problem happened repeatedly before we made it home. Autoserv, 40 E main St., tilton nh confirmed that is was a defective throttle body. Contact with the Ford regional rep. Showed that of the 3 year / 30,000 mile bumper to bumper this vehicle had 22,000 miles and 3 years and 2 weeks. Thus there was no Ford restitution. Personally, with my experience above, I believe this is a very serious safety concern.

- Laconia, NH, USA

Jul 112013

Milan 6-cyl

I had just pulled out of my driveway this morning and began to accelerate, up to about 20 mph, when all of a sudden I lost total power. I looked down at the dash while steering the vehicle over to the side of the street, and noticed the "wrench" light was lit up. I immediately shut the car off, and got out my manual. The manual said the light indicated a transmission/power train/AWD issue. I thought I would attempt to start the car again, and see what it would do. I restarted the vehicle, and the wrench light was no longer went, and I had power when I put it in gear. I took my chances, and went ahead and drove it work, hoping it was just a fluke, but decided I would investigate to see if others had experienced the same issue. I came across the entire listing of others who were experiencing this issue so thought I better immediately get it to the dealer and put on diagnostics. I explained to them what I thought the issue might be, the throttle body problem I had read about. They put it on diagnostics, but the only code which came up was a P0456, saying I needed to replace a valve--this code is indicated by the "service engine" light, and not the "wrench". he said they could find no codes for the "wrench" light. I told him that was strange, because the wrench light came on when I lost power. He told me the P0456 could make the car have the same types of issues. I told him I had been driving with the P0456 code for an extended period of time, and it had never affected the performance of the vehicle, so I didn't understand why it would do it now. I feel like this is the same type of issues others are experiencing, but the service manager told me previously when they saw the throttle body issue, there was always a code. Not sure why there is no code showing up, but that also seems to be common. Guess I will take my chances driving at this point.

- Salina, KS, USA

Jul 082013

While driving at 50-60 mph the car would start to slow and then there would be no throttle response, this happened 4 times in 40 miles, and luckily I was able to pull of the road with no problems. After the car sat for 5-10 minutes I was able to get it going and then about 10 miles later it would happen again. Got it to a Ford dealer and found out it is a bad throttle body. This part is on national back order with no idea when available. Had to rent a car to get home that day at a cost of $200.

- Arlington, WA, USA

Jun 262013

Milan 6-cyl

Commuting home from work the gas pedal became unresponsive, the entire began running very rough, and the red wrench symbol illuminated on my drivers display. Coasted to a safe spot to pull off, turned off the car let it sit for a minute or two, restarted the car, the display was clear, gas pedal response was good, and engine sounded normal. Drove home without further incident. Four days later a similar incident, contacted my Ford garage, described the problem and made an appointment for a diagnostic. Diagnostic came back with the throttle body diagnosis, the parts are on back order with no estimated receiving date. Will cost just under $500 to repair, 3 months out of bumper to bumper coverage, just under 27K on the car. Not covered under the extended power train coverage because it is a sensor/ electrical problem. I am 7th or 8th in line for the part when it becomes available at my local dealership.

- Amherst , NY, USA

Jun 122013

The first time this problem occurred was at a stop sign. The car engine idle became erratic, the engine light came on, and when I tried to pull away from the stop sign the car would not respond to the accelerator. Pulled to side of road and turned off the engine, waited approximately 2 minutes and then restarted. The engine ran fine. The second time this problem occurred I was driving at 40 mph. The car engine speed became erratic, then the car lost power and would not respond to the accelerator. Pulled to the side of the road and turned off the engine, waited approximately 2 minutes, and then restarted. The engine ran fine. Took the car to my mechanic who read the engine codes and told me I need a throttle body.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Jun 292013

Driving on freeway when vehicle acceleration became unresponsive. Pulled over to the side of the freeway and could tell engine was still running but not well. Turned vehicle of using the key and restarted the engine. It was a little hesitant to start - it took 5-6 seconds of the key being turned for it to start but had no problems after until the next occurrence. This occurred around 5-6 times until I could get it to the dealership with no regard for speed/road conditions/driving conditions. One moment it was fine the next it had no acceleration.

- Walled Lake, MI, USA

Jun 102013

Several incidents within a 10 day period where the care would just die while driving. Last incident took place while on the highway. The car just all of a sudden dies and looses power steering and control. Car has to be coasted to a stop then will restart. This is my wife's car and my daughter and her were on their way to a practice when the last incident took place. Initially I thought it might be bad fuel. I took it to the Ford dealer who said this was not covered under warranty and said the replacement for the throttle body and vapor management would cost approx $800. Looking at articles posted this is a common problem and should have been recalled.

- Leander, TX, USA

Jun 232013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving on the highway 60 mph without warning the wrench light illuminated and the vehicle lost power. I had no engine control. Was able to shift into neutral and pull over safely onto the shoulder without being rear ended. Engine exhibited rough idle approximately 800 to 900 RPM. The car was in a limp mode.the gas pedal had no effect. Turned the ignition off and restarted the vehicle wrench light turned off and was able to drive the vehicle normally for 5 miles before the wrench light illuminated and the vehicle lost power. I was able to drive the car home. Connected a scan tool to the obd and no codes were present. The following day driving with the scan tool connected at 40 mph the same symptoms occurred. The scan tool registered code P2111 throttle actuator control system stuck open. Fortunately I was able to pull safely. Mentioned the issue to the local Lincoln dealer and was told this is a common problem with this vehicle and the throttle body assembly needs to be replaced. Was told that the part in on national back order and is not available. This is not acceptable. The problem occurred 6 times within a 10 day period. This car is not safe to drive. The vehicle should be recalled without hesitation and the safety issue resolved.

- Harrison, NY, USA

May 312013

Milan 6-cyl

The car behaves as if it was suddenly put into neutral. When you hit the gas the engine revs, but the transmission does not engage. The wrench and engine lights come on, and the car will sometimes sputter like it is going to shut off completely. The only way to get the car to function normally is to stop the car and turn it off and back on. I have had this happen on major highways and other busy roads. The problem is unpredictable. A mechanic has determined this to be a problem with the throttle body, but the part is on national back order. My car is un-drive-able.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Apr 012013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving, the car loses power. It is dangerously crippled as it has to be stopped completely and put in the park position before it will restart. When restarting if I take my hand off the key it will continue to try and start the engine until it starts. The check engine light either comes on and goes off or fails to come on..

- Steele, MO, USA

Jun 242013

Milan 6-cyl

This vehicle (Mercury Milan 2010) stalled intermittently at stop signs and traffic lights. Stalling out more frequently, I notified my mechanic, who informed me, this is a current problem with Ford vehicles and Ford may be initiating a car recall for the hundreds of thousands of cars of which the throttle problem is occurring. I am repairing the vehicle on my own dime for our own safety, with the intention to file a reimbursement for this problem when Ford (Mercury) will at a later time, send a recall out for this extreme impairment to the propulsion of the vehicle.

- Altoona, PA, USA