2.9

2010 Mercury Milan fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

May 272013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving on a country road at 50 mph on mon. May 27th, the car seemed to stall, the gas pedal didn't work & we had to pull over asap. After stopping & restarting the car, we were able to proceed home. At the time, I thought it was a fluke. Then on May 30th it happened again on my street going around 30 mph, so I called the dealer and they said I could come in the next day. Later that same day, I was in rush hour traffic on rt 22(busy highway) & it happened while I was going 60 in the left lane, this was very scary as it was difficult to get over to the shoulder with so much traffic. I took my car to the Ford dealer on Friday May 31st & they said there were no alerts on the car, that they would do a software upgrade that would hopefully fix the issue. The receipt they gave me listed that a throttle body was needed, & it was on back order. I have been trying to minimize using the car, but on June 15th I had to go to my niece and nephew's dance recital in South NJ. While driving home on 295 (major highway) going around 65 the car died again. I was able to proceed after restarting the car, but didn't make it home again without it happening another time. I was making a left turn at an intersection light and the engine died. Thank god it wasn't a wider intersection or I would not have been able to coast through. At this point this car is unusable and is a death trap waiting to happen. I called another dealer, and the part is on back order there as well. This is clearly a major problem with defective throttle bodies in the 2010 Milan that should be recalled, I would like to know how this problem will be rectified. The proof is in the fact that they cannot make the part fast enough to fix the broken cars. The two dealers I dealt with are aware of this widespread problem, obviously due to a manufacturing defect with the throttle body assembly. I have <60K miles.

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Jun 242013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving, the car suddenly went into limp mode. After pulling over and shutting it down, we let it cool for about five minutes. Afterwards it ran fine. Later that night it did the same thing after about 20 minutes of driving. This time we tried simply shutting it off and turning it back on, but it was still in limp mode. Therefore, we pulled over, shut it down, and waited about five minutes again, and it ran fine. We've also noticed that this isn't a random occurrence, but happens after about 20 minutes of regular driving.

- Commodore, PA, USA

Jun 042013

Milan 6-cyl

I was driving when all of a sudden the engine shut down leaving me stranded. Didn't want to take any chances so had it towed to Ford garage for repair. They said it was the throttle body and it would be $200 for part plus labor and diagnostic charge. This is a 2010 come on Ford !!! as a longtime Ford owner I am very disappointed. This was the second occurrence, the first time it started up and I was able to go on my way.

- Canton, OH, USA

Jun 032013

Milan 6-cyl

Car going into "limp mode" for no apparent reason. Feels as if it has stalled. Has happened on highway at 65 mph. Car goes "limp" no power to move off highway. Has also occurred while making left turn in front of traffic. Car all but stalls.

- Watchung, NJ, USA

Jun 202013

Milan 6-cyl

Was driving on highway and suddenly the car lost power and the wrench icon showed on the dashboard. It was like taking one's foot off the gas peddle. Had to get car towed. The fault was the throttle part #ds7Z9E926D there were 2 other cars at the Ford dealer waiting for the same backordered part to arrive. I never saw 3 cars at a dealer with the same problem at the same time. The part being backordered in a leading indicator the quantity of the part being replaced is running high.

- Sandy Hook, CT, USA

Jun 132013

Milan 6-cyl

Was driving approximately 35 mph. The car began to slow down, and it jerked and hesitated and began to decelerate as it continued the jerking and hesitation. The car would not respond to the accelerator at all. Continued to jerk and slow down and the engine and transmission were not functioning properly. This has now occurred 3 different times in the last two weeks - twice at speeds around 35-40 mph and once at 65 mph. Took it to Ford dealership. They say that it is definitely related to the throttle body. Waiting to get a new throttle body from Ford; but there are none to be had across the whole country.

- Clinton, IL, USA

Feb 042012

Milan

I was trying to enter the freeway on the ramp when the car lost power. No throttle was present and the engine was slowly idling but very roughly. Pulled over and turn ignition off. It started right up as if nothing was wrong. The problem occurs every 2 - 3 weeks but gets worse and harder to keep engine running properly after occurrence. Now check engine light comes on along with the wrench and the engine completely shuts off. The vehicle is now in the shop for $600 throttle body replacement.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Jun 212013

Milan

I was driving down a main street heading directly into the free way interstate. Once I approached the interstate I was caught the light.... I then began to take off once it turned green. I reach about 20mph and my car jerked and the wrench icon came on. I then noticed I had no power and no where to go because my car never got a good speed... I almost got hit twice and held up traffic... how embracing seeing that I have a perfectly nice car. Once I got it home( which took 3hrs driving at 10mph and cutting off) I took the car to my auto shop and informed me on a recall for this problem.... but guess what" the dealership said not for me car....if their is a recall on this part.. what makes my car different." So I ended up paying $300 bucks in repairs, losing $200 work day.... total loss....$500 on a part that is on recall... this is bull...

- Detroit , MI, USA

Jun 182013

Milan

Throttle body went bad. Car unable to accelerate. Was able to get car to dealer after shutting off and turning back on several times which resets affected parts. Four other 2010 Milan at the dealership for the same problem.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Jun 202013

Milan 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 55 mph. Without warning the car felt as if had jumped out of gear, there was no throttle response. The car began to slow rapidly, a following vehicle had to avoid rear-ending me. The car jerking and hesitating was able to be gradually moved to a location where I could exit the road. The car would not respond to the accelerator at all. The orange wrench symbol appeared in my dash console. After thinking about it for a couple minutes, I turned the engine off, restarted, the problem had corrected itself. The prior day, while braking behind a car, foot on brake, neither foot near or on throttle, the car lurched forward with the throttle overpowering the brake for a second or two causing me to have to apply the brake more aggressively. I did not think about this too much, but after this occurrence this morning I wonder if the two events are related. I called the dealer, while he would not confirm the fact, it seems to be a recurring problem on this issue, a lot of people are complaining on the internet about the issue. I suppose the most telling point is that if the part most likely to be a problem, is indeed bad, and does not respond to just a cleaning, they cannot replace it because the part is on backorder. I asked if there was a recall, the dealer would not comment. The problem is most likely to occur again. It is a safety issue, and should be addressed in a recall before someone is killed, if it has not already happened.

- Walkersville, MD, USA

May 302013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving, the vehicle has a sudden loss of power and the wrench light illuminates on the dash. The vehicle slows to 5/10 mph. If you shut the vehicle off and restart it, everything is fine. These occupancies happens at least once a day sometimes more. When you are in the interstate highway and the car suddenly drops down to 10 mph, you are lucky you don't get hit. The diagnosed repair was a new throttle body. This part is not covered by the extended warranty. The vehicle has been in the shop for 3 weeks waiting for the part from Ford. It is on national back order. Does someone have to be run over and killed before this becomes a safety issue?

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jun 102013

Milan 6-cyl

The car loses accelerating power at random time and speeds. It has put me in a dangerous spot more than once. Car will lose power in heavy traffic. Car is currently in the shop and has a repair time of 2 to 4 weeks due to the unavailability of the part(enormous backorder).

- Plano, TX, USA

Dec 262012

Milan 6-cyl

The first incident occurred when I was driving down the road with the cruise control at about 60 mph and the car would jerk and then would loose power and the check engine and the wrench light came on. The car would be in idle mode and I would have to stop and turn the car off and wait a few minutes before I try to start it again. The second is incident was basically the same only at a different location. The third I was in town going about 40 mph when the car jerked again and went into idle mode. The next few time that it happened I had a very hard time getting it started and moving again. Once I did get it started I would only be able to go a couple of blocks before the car would jerk and go into idle mode.

- Steubenville, OH, USA

Jun 142013

Milan 6-cyl

While traveling at 35 mph car would not accelerate. Had to shut car off and restart ran ok until stopped at intersection then car keep dying. Would always restart ok but at times would have to put car in netrural and rev engine to keep from stalling. Have researched on inter net and seems to be same problem with throttle body. I have taken the body off and cleaned it but problem still occurs.

- Helena, AL, USA

Jun 192012

Milan 6-cyl

I seem to be experiencing the same issue described here: www.ncconsumer.org/news%20articles/nccc%20petitions%20nhtsa%20for%20defect%20investigation%20into%20ford%20escape%20vehicles.html car will drive normally, then suddenly the wrench will come on and all throttle response / power will be gone. The car will no longer respond, and this can be very dangerous if you are in the middle of a turn, etc. Normally, if you turn shut the car off and then start it back up it will behave normally (at least for a little while) until the problem recurs.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 042013

Milan 6-cyl

The engine stalls unpredictably. Check engine light comes on. After a short period, the engine can be started and the car driven without recurrance of the problem, but the check engine light stays on. Local Ford dealership diagnostics indicate problem with the electronic throttle body.

- Moses Lake, WA, USA

Jun 072013

Milan 6-cyl

Leaving work for the day last Friday, June 7, 2013 my Mercury Milan went into limp mode, the wrench warning light illuminated on my dash and today I had to have the throttle body assembly replaced. Just last week my husband had to have the same part replaced in his 2010 Ford Focus ses. Seems to be a problem with all the 2010 Ford cars. He had to pay $800 for his. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty on mine and only have to pay the $100 deductible. Sure would like to get this $900 refunded when you recall all the 2010 Ford. Thank you!

- New Brighton, MN, USA

May 272013

Milan 6-cyl

Returning from vacation to black hills, sd going East on I-90 at 75 mph. Engine instantly lost power and I pulled off on highway shoulder. Engine did not shut off but "wrench" light came on and the car started bucking. Vehicle was transported to Ford dealer in pierre, sd. Due to holiday they did not look at it until 5/28/13. Problem was determined to be failed throttle body. Fortunately it was daytime and thru open country and I was able to pull off safely. Ford needs to find out what causes the failure and make it right. There is a high risk potential. Imagine if this occurred at night or if I was in a middle lane of a multiple lane highway going thru an urban area with high speed bumper to bumper traffic, I suspect that we would have been rear ended with potential serious consequences as a result of the instant deceleration. Sitting by the side of I-90 with cars, semi's etc. Whizzing by at 75-80 mph was risky enough.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Feb 112013

Milan

Vehicle stalled and then stopped while in traffic. Re-started, traveled short distance, and it stopped again. This has continued to occur many times while approaching intersections, pulling on highway ramps, and pulling out of intersections. I took it to Ford (Mercury) dealer, but they could not repeat problem. No code reading. Car continued to repeat problem numerous times - no check engine light, no obd codes on reader. Car finally stopped completely. Dealer diagnosed problem as throttle body. Part is on back order - 6 months anticipated since so many (together with Ford Fusion) have the same problem. I see from NHTSA complaints that at least 35 have been registered on Milan. Ford seems to ignore the safety implications or to take any corrective actions. Started just after purchase (31,000 miles). Now had 41,000 miles.

- Germantown, MD, USA

May 132013

Milan 4-cyl

Car started to slow down sputter lose power no throttle response had to pull off busy rush hour traffic.waited about five minutes restarted car. Went to Ford they could not duplicate problem. Searched internet found several similar conditions resulting in faulty throttle body asym. Happened again twice, very dangerous back to dealership they found faulty throttle body, guess what part on national back order need to drive car two to three weeks with this condition not too safe. Car has 2.5 engine auto trans.

- Tampa, FL, USA