2.9

hardy worth mentioning

2010 Mercury Milan fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 232014

Milan

Immediately after entering a main highway, the engine seemed to die yet idled around 1000 RPM. The dash lights came on, the engine sputtered, but wouldn't increase speed and vehicle wouldn't move more than 2 or 3 miles per hour. After getting it off road and turning ignition off for a couple of minutes, it started and drove fine.

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Jan 112014

Milan

Driving thru town at approx 30 mph the vehicles warning lights flashed for check engine and the throttle control warning (wrench) illuminated. The vehicle would not respond to any activation of the gas peddle and drifted to idle power. Not understanding what went wrong, I shut the car down and restarted it to clear the faults. I re-enetered traffic and proceeded about 50 ft before it happened again. I proceeded to follow the same reset process and was able to limp the car home. The car was towed away and repaired by replacing the electronic throttle body. Research shows that since 2004 Ford has known that this problem exists and that the engine design default is to bring the car down to idle power. Internet chat boards have stories of this happening on highways at high rates of speed. Ford claims there is no recall because the government (you guys) have not required them to do so despite the failure mode, and public safety implications, being exactly the same as NHTSA action number PE13031. Ford fixed the problem recently but did not scrap old defective inventory and refuses to fix those suspect parts on our roads. They have calculated the costs and choose to risk public safety instead of a recall.

- Topsfield, MA, USA

Mar 082014

Milan

Throttle body failed without warning. Car immediately lost power and had no accelerator response and would only idle. This would have been dangerous had the vehicle not been in an area where it was immediately safe to pull over. Throttle body was changed, the second time it's happened to this vehicle.

- Ferguson, MO, USA

Jan 232014

Milan

While traveling at 55mph my vehicle stalled, lost all power and came to a stop at the side of the road. It was restarted several times each time with the wrench symbol illumiated. Was only able to drive home at 45mph and the car bucked and stalled two times. Will be calling Ford for repair. Lucily I signed up for the extended service plan when I purchased this vehicle as a certified pre owned car at the dealership. This is obviously a throttle body issue which I will be explaining to the techs when I bring it in for repair. And more importantly, this is a major safety issue for the occupants of this car and other cars involved if an accident were to occur.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Nov 082013

Milan

Driving down the highway through town and vehicle died multiple times in the middle of the street causing me to narrowly avoid an accident with my three small children in the car. Upon further inspection of the throttle body assembly, I discovered that the problem is a $20-$60 electric motor that Ford uses to run the throttle body the throttle body is not strong enough to do the job for a very long period of time causing the throttle body to go out at around 50000 - 60000 miles. I was a mechanic for Ford for 7 years before joining the army and have seen this issue with this exact model throttle body plenty of times. Ford could easily sell the replacement electric motor for the price listed above, but instead they prefer to price gouge their customers by forcing them to pay over $200 for the whole new throttle body assembly. Also according to our local Ford parts dealer it is such a common part that needs replaced that the keep 3-4 on hand at all times.

- Hinesville, GA, USA

Nov 232013

Milan 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway, on my way home when my car seemed liked it stalled. The wrench image on the dash board appeared, and I coasted my car off of the highway because I was coming up to an exit. Once my car slowed down to about 10-15 mph the car seemed like it was actually jumping, or bucking and trying to drive at a very slow pace. I pulled the car over to the side of the road, and shut the care off. I restarted the car, and the samething happened with the motor running rough, and the image of the wrench on my dash appearing. I shut the car off again, and let it sit for a couple of minutes, and restarted the car while holding the throttle down, and the car seemed to function fine after that. This also happened the next day on my way to work same exact scenario just a different place on the highway.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Nov 142013

Milan 6-cyl

Sudden loss of acceleration or ability to drive. Immediate display of icon showing mechanical problem. Towed to dealer, where throttle body failure was diagnosed. This incident occurred on a treacherous stretch of I-40 entering North Carolina, where shoulder is very narrow, and we barely escaped injury and/or death.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 152013

Milan

Twice while travelling at low speed, it dropped into what appeared to be a limp home mode. A restart returned the vehicle to somewhat normal operation, but it seemed to be running just ever so slightly, rough.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 032013

Milan 6-cyl

Driving freeway at 77 mph when vehicle suddenly started slowing down. Managed to get car over to shoulder of road and tried to get off ramp but wouldn't make it. No lights came on and felt like it was still running at idle. Stepped on gas but wouldn't accelerate in drive or park. Shut vehicle off and started twice before I could get response from stepping on gas. Then took off like nothing wrong. Very dangerous and lucky traffic was light. Had one other incident with car doing same thing but was sitting at traffic light.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Sep 262013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving down the highway experienced a total loss of acceleration. Car still maintained an idle but no matter how many times I pressed the pedal to the floor it would not recognize me doing so. (kind of like and older vehicle with a cable just breaking). Fortunately it did not effect steering or braking but it was quite challenging to get to the side of the road. If I shut of vehicle and restarted gas pedal works fine again. I immediately contacted a master Ford tech that I know personally and he informed me that more than likely it was the electronic throttle body that there has been many complaints and replacements done on that particular engine recently in their shop. Due to the lack of funds I continued driving the vehicle and have experienced the same problem a minimum of 8 times in 3 weeks. I no longer will allow my wife to drive car until I can repair.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Sep 022013

Milan

The car loses power while driving, the wrench light comes on and then I have to pull over to the side of the road, it has also happened on the highway which is scary? also the car sometimes has an idle problem, like its trying not to stall, but causes the car to jump a little while at stop lights. Also when I get gas, the car does not want to start, but if I leave the car running while getting gas the car is fine.

- Olean , NY, USA

Oct 112013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving on a freeway (middle lane) at ~ 50 mph the "wrench" light cane on and the vehicle slowed to 20mph. Very unsafe.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Sep 182013

Milan 6-cyl

Intermittent problem which occurred at variable speeds (25 mph, 40 mph, 60 mph) with rapidly increasing frequency in the week before the throttle body was replaced. While driving, the engine seemed to shift out of gear. However, there was no increase in RPM in response to the accelerator. Pulled to side of road with very low RPM, the vehicle was turned off and then restarted each time without problem.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Sep 202013

Milan

Stop at red light and the car refuse to accelerate. Had to coast to the side of the road. When car is cut off and turn back on it will run for a little while and does the same thing again. Kids in the car on the side of the road. When I first got the car the transmission went out, had it less than 2 wks. Now this is happening, cost over $600 dollars for something that is manufactured screw up. I need my car to get kids to school and work. All these complaints about the same problem needs a recall very quick before someone gets into an accident.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jan 112013

Milan 6-cyl

I was driving my Mercury Milan when it starting surging and then lost all power.since that date it has happened to me at least 50 more times, some worse then others.this is very dangerous as it has happened as I have entered intersections, putting my life in danger of being hit !! I have taken it to the dealer but they said it is no longer under warranty so it would cost over $600 which I do not have.this is making me sick as now I am afraid to drive my car even though I have to in order to get back and forth from work!!

- Cannon Falls, MN, USA

Aug 272013

Milan 6-cyl

Driving to work one morning my car appeared to stall without warning on the incline of a viaduct. It slowed dramatically without me braking, so there were no brake lights to warn other drivers. I was fortunate the driver behind me was paying attention and did not run into me. I made an emergency maneuver to get off the road, and called aaa for a tow. While on hold with aaa, I restarted my car. It appeared to be working normally, so I went to work without incident. Later in the day my car seemed to stall again on the way to lunch. This was in a remote area with no other traffic. Again it restarted, and worked fine on my return to work. While driving home it happened a third time in a construction zone. I had to pull over near huge rollers that were leveling newly laid asphalt. Luckily it started again and I merged back into construction traffic and drove home. I called the Ford dealer I bought the car from. They told me over the phone it sounded like another bad throttle body. I got a ride to work the next day, and took it in as soon as I could get an appointment. The Ford dealer replaced the throttle body, and I have had no problems since.

- Beecher, IL, USA

Sep 142013

Milan

At dusk on Saturday september14,2013 traveling North bound on 6 lane interstate I-55 in far left lane at 67 mph with cruise control on the car began to slow RPM returned to idling speed under 800 RPM and was unresponsive to accelerator pressure. The traffic was heavy and I was lucky to be able to move across lanes and reach the shoulder before car had slowed to 5 mph. The wrench light came on. Shut off the car restarted it and accelerator was responsive began to accelerate to merge back on to highway and again lost power. Shut off car again and accelerating very slowly was able to reach an exit about 1 mile away before car again lost power. Called for a tow back home as vehicle was unsafe. Car taken to dealership September 16th for repair and the throttle body needed to be replaced. I learned on line that this seems to be a common problem with certain Ford and Mercury products but there has been no recall to fix this defective part which puts the driver and passenger in grave danger when the throttle body malfunctions.luckily I was in a fairly populated area and cell phone service was available. I fear what could have happened if traffic had been even heavier or been in a more remote area. These products should be recalled as they present a serious safety issues for drivers.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Sep 132013

Milan 6-cyl

Driving 2 weeks ago, going 45 mph and the accelerator stopped working. Engine was running and I could still safely pull it over to the side of the road. I turned the vehicle off and then back on and it worked again. Since there were many areas of non-safe roads to pull over, I decided to have it towed home. It has driven fine ever since, until today, going 55mph, on the interstate, accelerator stops working. I safely pulled over, turned off and restarted engine. I safely drove to my nearest Ford dealership where they say it is the throttle sensor. Why is this not eligible for recall yet as I read these many, many pages of posts on the same thing? I have to wait until November for the part as it is on backorder. No safe car to drive until then.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 222013

Milan 4-cyl

I was on my way to work and got on the freeway and as I accelerated to the flow of traffic, the car started splutting and I was in the middle lane with a truck close behind me and cars on each side. The speed started to decrease as I pushed on the gas petal with nothing happening. It was as though it ran out of gas and the console lights came on. I panic and tried to work my way to the side of the road. I was able to get over after the truck barely missed pitting me and coasted til the car slowed down and turned the car off and tried to start it again, it started because I knew that it wasn't out of gas, I had a full tank. There was no check engine light on at that time either. I preceded to get back on the freeway and got up to 50 mph and went to the nearest exit and my car repeated the same thing, this time with a jerking motion..that when the check engine light came on. I moved the car to a safer area and called to get it towed. It was place on the a machine that read P2111 and P2112. The auto shop informed me that it was the throttle body.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 082013

Milan

While driving 50 mph on a highway, the vehicle suddenly without warning loss all propulsion and started to sputter violently. I noticed the "wrench" light indicator was illuminated and luckily coasted with no propulsion to a safe area on the highway shoulder to pull over. I shut the engine off for a minute and restarted vehicle as normal and no "indicator light" had illuminated. The vehicle appeared to be operating as normal at this point. Later I had the codes pulled for the incident on my vehicle and was told it indicated a throttle body failure. This occurred 3 times over the last several weeks. After doing a search on the internet, I found numerous incidents of the exact same description I have here. There must be an inherent defect of the part used in these vehicles.

- Edgewater, MD, USA