2010 Mercury Milan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Dec 242014

Milan 6-cyl

At approximately 9:00pm I was pulled over by a police officer who advised me that my passenger side brake light was not working and in fact was staying on all the time. After researching this problem I have found that many, many owners have this same issue yet Ford/Mercury has not recalled the affected part. Obviously this is a potential hazard as drivers behind me may be confused when looking at my brake lights but not seeing a change. Also, I assume that this will affect my vehicle passing inspection in my state. Apparently this part costs over $400 to replace and many people cannot afford this expenditure.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Dec 012014

Milan 4-cyl

Driver side tail lamp assembly is not functional seems the led portion of the taillight assembly needs to be replaced at a cost of $400-500 from the dealer. This is the second taillight in the 2 years of ownership that it has had to be replaced. Very poor design and safety concern of mine since this is no longer a $2 bulb replacement but an entire taillight assembly.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Dec 232014

Milan

Someone noticed my rear passenger tail light on my 2010 Mercury Milan was abnormally bright and that brake light did not work. So I investigate and find that I have to replace the whole assembly instead of just a bulb. Omg. I have been a loyal Ford owner since 1985. The cost to replace is over $600? unbelievable. This is a safety issue and should be recalled.

- Nelson, IL, USA

Feb 122014

Milan

I have had to replace both brake lights on my 2010 Milan. Now that they are led with a computer the cost is $400 a piece. Not a good thing.

- Ponca City, OK, USA

Dec 192014

Milan

Right rear brake light inoperable and none repairable.the assembly is not repairable and is very expensive to replace ($300 to $400 ).Ford should make the assembly serviceable or affordable.failure is very premature and should be recalled.

- Prairie Du Chien, WI, USA

Dec 232014

Milan 6-cyl

I have a 2010 Mercury Milan. The Milan is equipped with led tail and brake lights, unlike it's sibling, the Ford Fusion. Recently, I discovered after being pulled over by the police that the brake lights were not operating. I went to the dealer's service department, only to discover that the tail light/brake light/turn signal assembly is one sealed, unserviceable unit. There was no warning and leds do not burn out this quickly. To add insult to injury, Ford will not cover this under their premuimcare esp warranty, because they consider it a consumable object like tires. So on top of almost getting killed by being rear-ended in a collision, I got the privilege of paying $1000 to replace both sealed assemblies. This is a common failure in these vehicles and a hazard on the road which occurs without warning. Please recall these vehicles and make Ford fix this dangerous issue. Thank you,

- Merrick, NY, USA

Dec 052014

Milan 6-cyl

On 12/5/2014, I noticed that the passenger side tail light was dimmer than the driver's side tail light and the brake light did not brighten when the brakes were applied. The dealer indicated that the whole tail light assembly would need to be replaced at an estimated cost of between $400-500 since this is an led integrated system. From an internet search and the NHTSA complaints, it seem that this is an issue that is occurring at low mileages. I cannot afford to replace the tail light assembly and will therefore continue to drive the vehicle as is. I'm sure there many people who have this issue that cannot afford to replace the tail light assembly. In some cases, both the driver's side and passenger side tail lights/brake lights have failed at low mileages, which might cost up to $1000 to resolve this issue. In Colorado, we do not have an inspection program, so this issue would not keep drivers from driving their cars in an unsafe condition. I'm afraid it will take a fatality and a lawsuit to elevate this issue to the point where Ford will address this issue.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Nov 062013

Milan

The initial incident in November, 2013 was the failure of the passenger side rear led tail light assembly. This resulted in the brake lights not operating when the brakes were depressed. A police officer stopped the car for a warning due to the brake light failure. Mileage on the car at the time was 12,700 miles. Due to the safety hazard the repair was needed. The entire assembly, not just a single bulb needed to be replaced. Approximately 10 months later in September, 2014 the driver side rear led tail light is now malfunctioning in the same way. Brake lights are again flickering and not working when the brakes are depressed. Mileage on the car at the time of this next failure was 16,100 miles. The dealer quoted price to repair is over $450! this car is garage kept, well maintained and has not been in involved in any accidents. Ford should fix this defect under a safety recall free of charge to customers!

- Wanaque, NJ, USA

Jul 152014

Milan 6-cyl

The rear passenger side tail light has burnt out. The tail light is led and therefore the entire tail light assembly must be replaced. The cost from Ford dealership is $428 for only the part not including labor. I have researced several sites, and find this to be a common problem for this make and model of vehicle. Lighting is a safety issue and Ford should back up their engineering flaw.

- Jenkins, KY, USA

Nov 072014

Milan 4-cyl

We were informed by a individual in a passing car that our brake lights were not functioning properly one evening. We took the car to a dealer to get the oil changed and exterior brake lighting issue resolved. We were told that the brake lights needed to be replace and because it was part of an assembly, the total charge would be $1281.87 which included an oil change and diagnosis. I felt I had no choice but to replace the lights rather than endanger us or some other individual(s) on the road. I called Ford and received a case # but as of 11/21/14 I have heard no response. Going to this site there is 89 out of 438 complaints about this same issue. I do not believe that these led lights should go out this quick nor that if needed to be replaced, should require the whole brake assembly to be replaced. This is a engineering design failure. Ford claims "quality is job one. This is not the case with this issue. I believe the NHTSA needs to address this and issue a recall.

- Fairland, IN, USA

Nov 142014

Milan 6-cyl

I recently purchased this "certified" Mercury Milan on 10/25/14. I have only had it for less than 3 wks and the right brake light went out. I only knew this because I was pulled over by our local police dept. And was given a warning. I tried to find this in the local auto store and found out it needed to be purchased by the dealer. I then contacted the dealer and was told to bring it in. I was told a ticket would be created and given to sales and I would be called the next day. Since the vehicle was still "new" to me I thought it would be covered under my warranty. I waited 2 days and no response. My spouse went into the dealer and was told that the brake light assembly was not covered by the warranty and that the cost to us would be $500. I feel that this is a major safety hazard that many consumers cannot afford and many accidents will be caused. I do not even feel safe driving my grandchild in this vehicle for fear of him being injured if I get rear ended. I feel do to this being a safety concern that Ford would do a recall after having so many complaints about it. I have called Ford Motor Co. @ 800-392-3673 to voice my concern. The more that call maybe something will be done before an innocent person loses their life because of a faulty system that this company is very aware of..

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Nov 172014

Milan 6-cyl

Noticed right rear brake light lit when headlights are on and brakes not applied. Headlights off, no problem noticed. This seems to be a common problem with Ford / Mercury led tail lights. If rear led lights need to be replaced Ford Motor Company should put a 7 year / 70K mile guarantee on the high dollar replacement lights. Who makes these for Ford ?

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Nov 012014

Milan 6-cyl

Noticed led taillight beginning to go out passenger side. Individual leds unable for replacement but full taillight needs to be replaced at a cost of $284. Due to cost of replacement, I feel the taillights should last longer than four years or 60,000 miles. The part is uncommon and not stocked in any part stores here, city of 70,000. I work on the road so that makes finding time for a dealership repair near impossible. I am now driving with a dim taillight while I try to find one online and await shipment for a diy.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Nov 142014

Milan 4-cyl

Defective left rear tail light assembly. Dealer informed me of problem and is currently replacing the assembly. Cost around 400 hundred dollars. One of concerns is why didn't the safety system in this vehicle alert me that I had a tail light out. My Ford Fusion identifies when a light is not working and its 4 years older.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Nov 132014

Milan 4-cyl

Left rear taillight does not illuminate on depression of the brake pedal. Right rear taillight flickers but fully illuminates on depression of the brake pedal. As the lights are led and encased in a housing, the replacement cost approaches $400 per unit.

- Shamong, NJ, USA

Nov 122014

Milan 6-cyl

Right rear tail lamp / brake light assembly inop again. This is my 3 assembly that has failed in 15 months. It is an led assembly, it costs $375 for the part. You can't replace a bulb. This should be covered under a safety recall.

- Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA

Nov 072014

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated the brake lights failed to illuminate accordingly whenever additional exterior lights were illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that both of the tail lights needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Steubenville, OH, USA

Nov 052014

Milan 4-cyl

It has been three weeks since I purchased a 2010 Mercury Milan with 41,000 miles but last night I discovered both rear brake light illuminated with the headlights on. My profession is in the safety field which leads me to say that if this vehicle was on my job site it would be tagged out of service due to improper safety equipment. I have had issues with Ford Motor Company in the past and even though I do like their products they have to take responsibility and be accountable for what they sell to individuals. There should be a recall for this safety equipment. I will not allow my family to operate this vehicle in it's present condition.

- Florence, AL, USA

Nov 262013

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that when the headlights were engaged, the driver's side brake light failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician replaced the driver's side brake light. However, the failure recurred. In addition, the contact stated that the driver's side door handle fractured. The contact mentioned that in order to exit the vehicle he had to use the exterior door handle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Greenboro, NC, USA

Oct 312014

Milan 8-cyl

The left rear outer brake light assembly led lights have failed. I expected to be able to pick up a replacement at the local auto parts dealership. I found out that I had to get the part from my Ford dealer. I can not simply replace the led assembly. It will cost nearly $400 for me to purchase a new brake light assembly. This is a ridiculously high price to pay for the replacement of a brake light. I fear the high cost will cause many Milan drivers to continue to drive without adequate lighting on their vehicles. Ford should either replace the part for free, or greatly reduce the cost of the assembly due to their design failure.

- Carey, OH, USA