NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2010 Mercury Milan (Page 3 of 6)

2010 Mercury Milan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Aug 082012

Milan 4-cyl

We purchased this vehicle new in 2010. In 2012 we noticed flickering in left rear tail light assembly, which was intermittent, this occurred at approximately 40,000 miles. In October 2014 at approximately 83,000 miles we noticed that when the head lights were turned on that the brake lights stayed on constantly even when the brakes were not applied.

- Laquey, MO, USA

Feb 012012

Milan 6-cyl

Led taillights are on high (as if brake pedal is depressed) at all times causing other vehicle drivers to not know when the Milan is braking. Ford dealership states that these are defective led bulbs ($400 replacement cost) which is not covered by the warranty.

- Howell, MI, USA

Oct 202014

Milan 4-cyl

Driver side rear brake light staying illuminated constantly as if the brake is pressed and nearly caused crash (I had two small children sitting in the back of my Milan), had the vehicle behind me not went into the ditch a collision would have been inevitable. Please look into this problem as it has the potential to cause bodily harm and injury to the occupants. I had no idea there was a problem with constant illumination until this point. Upon scheduling an appointment at the Ford dealership and doing a little research I see this is a frequently reported problem but no recall has yet been issued nor an investigation. Also since learning of this problem this morning and observing the vehicle brake lights there is also a flicker of lights every so often.

- Elberta, AL, USA

Oct 192012

When I went to have my car inspected, I was told that when the lights are on either during the day time or night time, they are always "brake light" lit. They are never lit like regular tail lights and it always looks like my brakes are on. When I took them to my mechanic, I was told I needed both tail light assemblies. The place I got the tail lights charged me $279.63 per light, I had to have both tail lights replaced, total cost to me, $559.26. This problem has been since 2012 and I was not aware of it since I am not behind the car and just needed to have the car inspected. I noticed that the driver's side tail light always looked brighter, but I thought that because it was an led light, that was the reason for the brightness. I could have had a rear-end collision due to this issue. Because my car is not under warranty, I needed to have this repaired at my expense and since the car is only 4 years old, I do not think it should be my expense. Plus trying to get these lights was very time consuming even for my mechanic. This has been a very frustrating situation, especially since the car is only 4 years old.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Feb 032012

Milan 4-cyl

Right rear brake light stays engaged constant, 100% luminous when headlights are on. Dealer replaced complete tail lamp assembly January 1, serviced February 2012 under warranty. Mileage 32141. Now a second time same problem with same right lamp. Not sure how long it has been that way. I was notified by family member when they were following me home one evening. 70000 miles. These led lamps are expensive, seems as if lighting has faulty parts assembly malfunction instead of a routine light replacement. Multiple complaints listed here for same issue. Is there a recall? I have not received anything for a recall. Now has become a safety concern.

- Coxs Creek, KY, USA

Sep 232014

Milan 6-cyl

This is another documentation of many other owners whose brake lights on a 2010 Mercury Milan were not functional without any knowledge of the owner or driver, causing potential for accidents. During daylight hours or when the headlights do not come on automatically, the left brake light works normally and the right brake light is sporadic, not working abut 70+% of the time. When the headlights are on the left brake light is brighter as if the brake was on and the brake light does not change intensity. The right brake light does not go on but the rear light works. The center brake light always works regardless of whether the headlights are on or not. There is no indication on the dashboard that any light is malfunctioning. I only discovered this by following my wife home after we had our daughter┐'s car in for service. I since followed her for about 20 miles on another day to confirm this situation. We took the car to the dealer who quickly diagnosed the problem, faulty brake light assemblies and two days later, and $847 payment the problem was fixed, for now.

- Andover, MA, USA

Sep 242014

Milan 4-cyl

The right passenger tail light went out. This part is an led and was $300 to replace. Ford said this was no fault of my own. There was no warning that the light was out.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 172014

My neighbor informed me that the rear brake light is out. It is not safe and it is illegal to drive without fully operating brake lights. This car only has 30,000 miles on it. Ford has to replace a complete rear lamp module which includes other rear lights that still work, to the tune of $300 to$400. My brother-in-law has owned 50+ cars over many years and he said he has never had to replace a brake light. Ford should be replacing these defective led brake lights as a technical/safety recall.

- Goshen, IN, USA

Aug 192013

When headlights are on right brake light remains illuminated at all times. Replaced the light and same problem remains.

- Uniontown , OH, USA

Sep 252014

The taillight fixture on my 2010 Mercury Milan is now bad and Ford wants $400 to replace it. It is an led fixture and should not have burnt out by now. I cannot replace the bulb on my own, the whole fixture must be replaced.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 182011

I purchased this car used from the dealer. After only two days, I was told my brake light is out. While the vehicle was still under warranty, the dealer replaced the right tail light assembly. 9/17/14, the brake lights appear to work, until the head lights come on or are turned on. The left rear brake light does not come on and the right light stays illuminated, as if the brakes are being applied, when the head lights are in use. I am told by the dealer the rear brake light assembly again needs replaced, but will cost $400. Obvious defect or malfunction in the safety feature (brake lights).

- Mcmurray, Pa, PA, USA

Jun 282012

I purchased the car new in August 2010. In June 2012 I noticed a problem with the left tail/brake light. When the headlights were off, the brake lights worked properly when the brake pedal was depressed. However, with the headlights on, instead of the left tail light being on, the brighter brake light was on all the time. This could lead the driver behind me to think I am applying my brakes when I am not. The rear lamps on this car are led, not regular bulbs. The only fix is to replaced the entire sealed assembly; the car was still under warranty, so the dealer replaced the lamp assembly at no charge. Now, 2 years later, I am having a similar problem with the lamp assembly that was replaced. Since the car is now out of warranty, Ford will not do anything about it. I would have to purchase the lamp assembly (which my research shows is a dealer-only part) for over $400. And presumably, when it fails again after 2 years, I get to spend another $400 for another one. Since Milan are no longer being made, what will we do years down the road when this part is no longer available from anyone at any price" junk the car because the rear lights don't work properly" I have researched this, and many Milan owners have the same problem. This is clearly a safety issue, and it is obvious that these assemblies are defective. I feel that Ford should redesign these to be reliable (or alternatively, design a replacement that uses standard bulbs instead of leds), then issue a recall and replace them at no charge for the life of the car.

- Forest City, NC, USA

Sep 092014

Noticed left outer taillight flickering in July 2014. Light finally went out. Entire assembly was changed on 9/1914. On 9/9/14 noticed the same flickering. Light has not gone out yet but it is only a matter of time. Dealer wants $114 just to look at it. There are a lot of complaints with this model. Needs recall.

- Converse, TX, USA

Jul 142014

A few times, people driving behind me have beeped at me and I didn't know why other than maybe they were upset I wasn't driving fast enough. Then about two months ago, a police officer pulled me over to warn me my tail light was not working properly and to get it fixed. The outer(quarter panel) led tail light assembly is not working properly and this could cause an accident from behind. I brought the car to nazareth Ford, which stated that the led lights are supposed to last much more than four years, but is not under warranty.

- Nazareth, PA, USA

Aug 292014

My 2010 Mercury Milan has two lighting issues not caused by custom lights or bad wiring. The first is my drivers side tail light is fully illuminated like im pressing the brake pedal when I am not. I turn my lights on and it either flickers or stays on or both. I have read at least a few hundred others complaining of something similar or worse. Please investigate it and I can show you a picture if needed. Now, the second is....moisture gets into my plate light covers causing one light to short and the other to flicker. This may be a problem with all license plate light covers. I have noticed on the 2010 Ford Fusion/Focus and the Mercury Milan models there is almost always one plate light out. Take note that my lens cover isn't cracked or compromised in any visible way. Those are the two lighting issues I have. On some reports read I have seen that Ford knows but refuses to repair it and many oem factory lights have the same issue. It is a problem in the circuit board for the L.E.D lights. Please I urge you to investigate this known issue so nobody gets injured or killed by faulty tail lights. Thank you

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Milan 4-cyl

Soon after purchase one of the tail lights would not shut off with the car. Then the other tail lights would slowly go out in rows until almost dark. Both tail lights are involved and it is an intermittent problem. The dealer finally said there is a short in both tail lights and the parts alone are $915 not counting the installation costs. These should be robust led tail lights. There is obviously some issue with the lights themselves or the wiring due to the number of complaints when researching the problem online. These is a major safety issue when people can be driving their car and the tail lights just slowly go out or do not come on at all.

- Warsaw, IN, USA

Aug 222014

Milan 6-cyl

My 2010 Mercury Milan only has 18300 miles on it and I was told that the whole tail light assembly needs to be replaced and it is not covered under the extended warranty. The brake light stays on continuously when the headlights are on. It is a known problem. The cost is almost $500. Obviously this car. Is not driven a lot.

- St. Peter's, MO, USA

Aug 012012

The tail lights on the car keep fading out. The right tail light is completely out and the left tail light flashes, instead of just staying on as the brake is being pressed.

- Las Cruces , NM, USA

Aug 132014

Milan 4-cyl

Rear passenger led tail light flickers intermittently when headlights are on and brake light on this lamp illuminates though no pressure on the brake pedal. Per my research, Ford is charging customers for this repair (up to $500 per light) though it is a safety issue. Flickering light distracting to other drivers as well as unsafe as brake illuminates randomly though I am not braking.

- Elkhorn, WI, USA

Jun 032013

Milan 4-cyl

Both right and now left brake lights developed a condition where they turn on in their bright, braking state whenever the head-lights are on. The dealer replaced the right light, at my expense a year ago. Now, I have to replace the left light. These repairs are $400 each. And there is no indication to the driver that this important safety system isn't functioning properly. I was notified by other drivers of the problem. Ford should recall and inspect these vehicles. Someone will be rear-ended because of this problem. The date of my "incident" is approximate. My issue is the same as shown here: Https://

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA