2010 Mercury Milan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Apr 262013

Milan 4-cyl

Brake light failure. Car has led brake/tail lights. Brake light on left side would intermittently flash when headlights on. Changed complete taillight. ($375) problem fixed. 13 months later same brake light failed, brake light does not illuminate at all. Wiring ok, needs another tail light assembly. Another $375.

- Britt, MN, USA

Apr 022013

Milan 4-cyl

In April 2013 I noticed that my left back tail light would go out and come back on intermittently. Eventually the tail light stayed on, but it was not a normal tail light the brightness indicated that it was a brake light. Every time I turn on my lights the brake light illuminates as a tail light. Now March 2014 my brake light in my back window went out. I replaced the bulb in this light. Two weeks ago May 2014 my tail light on the right side went out and when I used my brakes the right brake would blink like a blinker. Currently today. I have a tail light on the left that is as bright as the brake, when the tail lights are on I don't have a brake light. When the lights are off the brake light works. On the right side I do not have a tail light or a brake light. So when the lights are on, I have one tail light out completely. When I have my tail lights on the only brake light I have is in the back window. I called today about replacements and was quoted $376.20 a piece! that is only the part. I did have an electrician friend come out and test the wiring and nope not the wiring, it is all in the light. I can not afford to get this fixed. Ford needs to step up! this is the 6th Ford we have had. This is the only issue I have ever had. If Ford does not take reasonability I will be trading it in for a Toyota!

- Charlestown, NH, USA

Apr 062014

Milan 4-cyl

I was asked to pull over by a friend who told me the brake lights weren't activating on the passenger side of the vehicle. Center and left side were operational. When I turn off the headlights, the brake lights are operational. An obvious system failure within the sealed light. Cannot replace this led light, the entire tail lamp unit must be removed. Checked with various parts and dealership ($400+) seems excessive for a tail light that costs $2-3 in an ordinary tail light system.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Nov 012013

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that the driver's side rear tail light failed and remained illuminated after the brake pedal was released. The dealer performed a diagnostic which located the failure at the led assembly circuit board. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 23,000 and the current mileage was 24,500.

- Milton , DE, USA

Mar 062013

Milan 4-cyl

Purchased this Milan in 2011 with 22K miles. Immediately noticed issues with the 6-speed 6F35 automatic causing the car to stop accelerating under load, leaving me dead in the water when merging in traffic. I was not informed that Ford already knew of issues and I was in and out of the dealer with nothing done, until the trany had more damage. It was repaired but never properly stress tested, by either of two dealerships I went to. According to the tsb if the trany exhibited certain grades of failure, it required reprogramming and then valve body replacement, followed by a stress test to verify there was not any more extensive damage. The most I got after the valve body was changed was a suggestion that I change my trany fluid that had already been changed by Ford 20K miles earlier. I then started having issues with the rear tail lights (brake/parking), with ones flickering intermittently in the cold and then dieing completely, or going full intensity and never switching back to just parking light mode. Had to replace both at high cost, Ford lists $400 each, basically for the equivalent of a $2 bulb. I am an ee, specializing in manufacturing, and after taking one of the failing ones apart found it is was probably related to poor part choice or design. There was nothing damaged due to water or impact. I would dump this vehicle, however I still have payments and ethically I can not sell it on the open market worrying somebody else may have a dangerous issue with it due to the questionable transmission. If the transmission had any type over stress that required the level if testing mentioned in the tsb, which is almost impossible to do in vehicle, the whole trany should have been pulled.

- Plaistow, NH, USA

Mar 162014

Milan 6-cyl

Trailing driver noticed issues with left taillight flickering intermittently....a visit to forums indicate a widespread problem with costly repair and Ford not wanting to take ownership of the problem...updated 10/06/14

- Madison , WI, USA

Mar 202014

Milan 6-cyl

If headlights or parking lights are on, left and right stop lights do not change brightness when brakes are applied. The brake light in the rear windshield does come on as it should.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Mar 162014

Milan 6-cyl

One month after my NHTSA complaint # 10563879, the left side tail/brake light system is now responding in the same manner. Ie: brake lights function normally during the day without the tail lights on, but when tail lights are activated, they shine at full 100% intensity, as if the brakes were applied. Brake application is now only shown by the small third center light. Whenever I see a Milan in my city at night, which is the only time it will be evident, I try to follow it to see if it has this issue also. I'll find that usually 1 or both of this vehicles lights do this, and the owners do not realize it. I feel this is a widespread safety issue, compounded by the owner being unaware of a problem. No dash warning is shown. And yes, Ford wants $400 for this lamp. Replacing it is the only fix.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Mar 112013

Milan 4-cyl

My wife noticed apx 1 year ago that her left brake light was not working. We discovered it was led & apparently the complete tail light assembly needs changed. We recently brought it to our Ford dealerships' attention, but they said they did not know how to fix. Although, we realize that occasionally, changing lamps is the owners responsibility, we feel that changing a very expensive tail light assembly is not the norm. This car has had no wrecks & no after market devices of any kind. Please help!! thank you

- Casper, WY, USA

Feb 262014

Milan

Due to a defective connection both of my tail lights are out in my 2010 Mercury Milan. The dealer has told me that replacing the whole tail light assembly, as that is the only option at $400 a piece is "normal maintenance". when I contacted Ford I was told the same thing, that it was normal to have to replace tail lights. While I agree, these are led lights that have a bad connection and Ford has had many complaints on this same issue. Ford refuses to fix an issue that had to do with defective parts, the cost and the Ford refusal to fix this issue, equates to huge safety issues.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Aug 012013

Milan 6-cyl

The exact incident date is unknown. The right tail/brake light does not function at all and the left tail/brake light burns very bright like the brake is depressed but its not. This happens when the headlights are on but they function when the headlights are turned off although the right one is much dimmer. I have spoken to the dealership and was told that the entire light assembly would have to be replaced at a cost of $530 per side and there wouldn't be a guarantee that they would last any longer. I have called Ford and made a complaint as well. I haven't gotten it fixed yet since its going to cost me over $1000 and it may go right back out and happen again. I would like there to be some kind of a recall because I have searched online and have found numerous other reports for the same thing. It is a serious safety issue.

- Peterstown, WV, USA

Feb 172014

Milan 6-cyl

The rear right exterior light burned out. There are supposedly led lights. Dealer notified me that the cost of the part was approximately $450 and that did not include labor. This is a safety issue and Ford refuses to pay anything. This car is a 2010 Mercury Milan. It is my first Ford product. I have been a loyal Toyota driver before their but wanted to buy an american car. This is after the throttle body had to be replaced. How can they justify this?

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Feb 102014

Milan 6-cyl

My son was almost rear ended on the freeway, which prompted my inspection of our 2010 Mercury Milan. I found the brake lights work as they should in daylight. When the headlights come on though, the right rear tail light shows the brake lights intensity 100% of the time, and is unaffected by brake pedal application. Left rear brake/tail light, and upper 3rd brake light operate normally. I consider this a major safety concern, especially after researching this led light system. This vehicle shows repeated widespread incidents, exactly as I describe. Some people report both lights malfunctioning. My concern is that it takes a third party to tell you that your tail/brake lights are not operating correctly, so most owners wont know they have a problem. This could be more common to this vehicle than it already appears to be. I only personally know one other person with the same vehicle and they have the same problem ! issue is not currently acknowledged by Ford, probably because it is a $400 lamp that must be replaced in its entirety.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Sep 182013

Milan

2010 Mercury Milan premier (led tail lights) with headlights on the left rear brake light remains on all the time and does not respond when pressing the brake pedal.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 042014

Milan

At night (with running lights on) the left rear brake light remains on all the time and does not respond when pressing the brake pedal.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Sep 202013

Milan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that the passenger's side brake light failed. The contact found out the brake and tail lights were faulty by being stopped by a sheriff. A repair shop informed her, the computer chip in the tail lights were faulty. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 44,000. Updated 02/11/14

- West Burlington, IA, USA

Dec 242013

Milan 4-cyl

When the lights are on (at night), the rear lights are continuously at their highest brightness, as if the brakes were pressed down. So, it appears that the brakes are on continuously. The only difference when the brake pedal is pressed down is that the central light high up on the trunk turns on. This is only an issue at night- during the day the brake lights function normally. Based on internet forums at edmunds and consumer reports, among others, I have found at least 10 other instances of this exact same problem with 2010 Mercury Milan, most with low mileage: E.g. forums.consumerreports.org/N/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=1&webtag=cr-38aujohn&tid=5115 ; www.edmunds.com/Mercury/Milan/2010/consumer-discussions.html. my car has only 15,000 miles on it. This clearly appears to be a factory wiring defect, and one that is not immediately obvious when the car is purchased (we only found out about it when someone we knew was following our car at night, three months after purchase of the car). The fix, according to Ford, is to replace both tail lights, at a cost of $1000. Ford refuses to help pay for the repairs or acknowledge the defect. Given the obvious safety implications of continuously active brake lights, the documented record of the defect, and the non-obvious nature of the problem (many people may be driving around with this problem without realizing it), NHTSA needs to press Ford to acknowledge the defect and perform a recall.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Milan 4-cyl

I noticed on December 2, 2013 (may have been happening sooner), that when the brakes are applied, the tail light light blinked on and off and at times stayed off, but then went back to blinking. There isn't a bulb that can be replaced. The whole tail light assembly has to be replaced, which is costly.

- Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Nov 012012

Milan 4-cyl

The date of the occurrence is unknown. The car currently has 24,000 miles on it. The left tail light does not work and the left brake light does not work. The right brake light works when the headlights are off (as in daylight) but does not work when the headlights are on (as at night). The right tail light works when the headlight switch is on but is very bright, indicating that the brake light is on, even though the brake pedal is not depressed. Obviously, there is a defect in the circuitry. All of the long-life led bulbs couldn't have failed at once. The dealer wants to charge us $550 per light unit to supposedly correct the problem. This is a serious design defect safety issue and should result in a recall.

- Kerrville, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Milan

When the headlights are on the brake lights do not work. When the headlights are off the brake lights work. When you turn on the headlights the brake lights go on. The middle brake light in the rear window does work. Took car to Ford dealer, $149. For diagnosis. Dealer spoke with Ford and they are willing to make repair at a cost of $100. Rather then $1000. Which is what it would cost if Ford did not pay for repair. I noticed that others had the same problem. Now I am worried that something else may go wrong with the electrical system.

- Berkeley , CA, USA