1. replace transmission (3 reports)
2004 Mercury Monterey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Monterey:

2004 Mercury Monterey Owner Comments

Jul 132012

On a family trip with sister and 3 kids to the mountains in PA. Driving home on PA turnpike when van just failed to move forward or backward! Only two lanes, and we died out in left lane with right hand traffic and steep cliff with no area to pull over.

While waiting for AAA, I googles the problem to see what was wrong and found that Ford was being a recall on 2004-05 Ford Freestars and Mercury Monterrey because the torque converter output shaft may fail, resulting in sudden loss of power without warning!

Recall letters were to begin being mail in second quarter of 2012! I never received my letter yet! Had van towed over 80 miles to my Ford dealership and gave them towing bill. Almost scared to drive it again because now hearing that may second transmissions are also failing! We could have been killed!

- , Media, PA, USA

Jun 032013

only had the car for 2 months and the transmission goes. the warranty only covered a 3rd of the cost and tonight the abs light came on and the trac off light is on. not real happy with this van.

- , Jackson, MI, USA

Mar 142011

OK your form is not good- it cost 1800 of my money I could not afford to spend because the extended warranty wouldn't cover it because it "expired" in September 2010 even though we were within the 75k mileage. Ford said they don't "care" if we are having transmission problems because all these transmissions are fine the "select" few that are having issues are just riding hard. We have had this vehicle for 5 years and put less than 900 miles per month with 2 adults working and SHARING IT. That is WELL below the national average. We are both slower drivers and have clean driving records as well. Every repair shop we price checked with stated they had seen more and more ford mini van models with trans issues as well as explorers so that leads me to believe it's not us. Also google "2004 Mercury Monterey Transmission issues" or same but Class action law suit" ... This is a wide spread problem. My kids won't have summer clothes or birthday parties now... Thanks FORD! We still owe on this POS and can't even drive the darn thing because we paid 1800 picked it up at 2pm and it stopped starting at 6pm had to tow it right back in... I wish we had never bought the darn pos FORD!

- , Troy, MI, USA

Jun 062008

Transmission went out with no warning. I was driving, then when exiting, it wouldn't automatically shift. Ended up pulling over and none of the gears worked including reverse. Had to have a new transmission.

- , ST. Joseph, IL, USA