2.2

2005 Mercury Monterey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Monterey:

2005 Mercury Monterey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 082016

Monterey

I was stopped at a four way stop sign in my 2005 Mercury Monterey. Just as I pressed on the gas to move through the intersection, the transmission let go. I was fortunate that I could coast out of harms way. The car is now immoblie. This is the second catastrophic transmission failure on this vehicle. Transmission failed in July 2012 at 109K miles. Car was repaired according to Ford specifications. Second failure on 11-8-2016 at 170K miles. Without warning the transmission disengages and the car does not move forward. A second failure related to the same issue 60K miles after the defect was allegedly corrected is unacceptable.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Oct 072016

Monterey

I submitted a complaint on this vehicle about two weeks ago. I wanted to add some additional information. Just to recap: This 2005 Mercury Monterey was recalled in 2012 for the torque convertor. The job was completed at a dealership by the previous owner when it had less than 30000 miles. The transmission went out again at 70000 miles. Traveling down a busy road I lost power and could not accelerate over 30mph and the RPM's jumped erratically and the transaxle light came on. Towed it to the dealer that confirmed it was the transmission and then towed it to a transmission specialist. They said the transmission was shot and replaced the following parts: Master oh kit, band, piston, servo, torque convertor. The total cost was $1814. The mechanic confirmed that this should not have happened at 70000 miles and just a few years after the recall. The original torque convertor must have done more damage than what was repaired in 2012. I feel that Ford should pay for the transmission rebuild as it is obviously a result of the original recall.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Oct 072016

Monterey

For about 3 weeks the car shuttered between 40 and 50 mph. Then, while driving on a busy road traveling about 45 miles per hour, I began to lose power, the RPM's jumped erratically, and the transaxle light started flashing. I took the car to wiiliamsburg Ford (dealership) and they did a diagnostic that indicated a transmission problem 3rd and 4th gear. I contacted Ford as there was a torque convertor recall because of a faulty part causing damage to the transmission. They said the torque convertor was replaced in Aug. Of 2012 by the previous owner under the recall. If that corrected the problem the transmission should not have failed at 70000 miles. The torque convertor most likely damaged the transmission before it was replaced and shortened the life. Ford is telling me that they will not cover this since the torque convertor was replaced but this should not have happened if it was done correctly.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Mar 272016

Monterey

Please see attached letter and invoice.

- Atlantic Hglds, NJ, USA

Sep 012015

Monterey

You'll be driving down the street or highway and it all of sudden it loses power and the light that means transaxle problem has been detected and shifting may be restricted. Have system services immediately if light remains on. I looked it up with my VIN number and I know there is a recall due to this problem. I looked it up on a site and it said it hadn't been fixed and I called one dealership and they said they don't see where it had been fixed either. Then all of sudden when I discover another dealership that is closer to me a couple days later and decided to call them to see if they could get me in instead of the first dealership cause it was closer to my house they all of sudden say it was already had been fixed back in 2012. Which is bull cause I looked it up on a site and it said it hadn't and the first dealership also said it hadn't but now two or thee says later it's strangely in the system when I call the second dealership that I called cause it was closer. That is very strange and ironic that all of sudden it's now in system that it's been repaired.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 192009

Monterey 6-cyl

Driving N-I 275 suddenly lost power and had to cross 4 lanes to safety shoulder without causing an accident. Called husband to pick me up to take me to work. Then he had to meet tow truck and drive to dealer to repair van. To make a short detail of all the problems (this problem has happened 3 times since the first time ) (lost time from work ) (towing charges) (paying all for repairs ) (rental cars) (time spent to pick-up van, waiting for road services).then told by Ford motor that most charges won't be covered.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 202014

Monterey

My 2005 Mercury Monterey shut down while I was traveling at 65 in heavy traffic. After getting off the highway and restarting it, the transmission shifted hard and the engine missed.

- Castle Hayne, NC, USA

Jan 072013

Monterey

2005 Mercury Monterey van. Consumer writes in regards to transmission recall notice and unsatisfactory customer service at dealership. The consumer stated the recall was performed on September 27, 2012. However, on January 7, 2013, the consumer experienced a problem with forward hesitation, and the inability to back up. The service department determined the problem was electrical and installed a new battery, among other repairs, with a final bill of $235. On January 25, 2013, the consumer experienced the same problem again. The service department installed a new turbine speed sensor. Six days later, after the turbine was installed, the consumer experienced the problem again. The vehicle was inspected, and the dealer determined the transmission needed to replaced.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Sep 292013

Monterey

It was raining and my vehicle kept going into neutral and stalling. I'd press the gas, nothing would happen. It wouldn't go into reverse. When I put it in neutral the engine just revved up. Putting it park was ok. Check engine codes P0715 and P0340 appeared. A flashing check engine light (!), and solid check engine light appeared. Putting in drive, it would only go into 3rd gear. 1st gear worked if I moved the prndl to 1. reverse didn't work at all. I could have easily been killed if this happened while driving anywhere but my neighborhood. This is different from the recent torque converter recall that is also scary and also results in loss of forward momentum. My problem is with the PCM. The dealer performed diagnostics and repairs according to Ford's tsb 06-14-10 which indicates this is a common problem on all 1999-2007 Ford vans. If they've known about this for 7 years, and it affects nearly a million vehicles, why hasn't it been recalled? surely NHTSA has received complaints about this. I have a friend who had this happen on her 2004 Ford van within the last year. She also lost reverse and the car would limp in drive just like mine did. The repair shop knew exactly what to do and repaired her PCM. I've asked her to file a NHTSA complaint as well. This is a safety concern. I paid my Ford dealer to fix because my safety is at stake, and obviously because the vehicle was performing sub-par, but I feel this particular issue should be covered by Ford, not by the customer, just as was done with the recent rear seat rust and torque converter recalls on this same vehicle. This is no different. It is beyond normal wear and tear.

- Livonia, MI, USA

May 162012

Monterey 6-cyl

I have owned the Mercury montery for six years and have had nothing but problems. The biggest problem is a torque converter that has been replaced. Fortunately, I was traveling from North Florida in 2009 when the van suddenly just stopped accelerating...I had to coast to the side of the interstate...with two other women in the car beside myself. The van had to be towed and a torque converted replaced. The second incident...same thing different location. I was reimbursed for the torque converter last year de to a recall...however, now it has a major problem of not accelerating....after sometimes 30 mph and 70 mph....I have to let off the gas and hit it again....this is continuous...very frustrating...very costly...and very dangerous issue..that is my most important point...very dangerous...it just stops without notice! I would like to know what can be done to fix this problem without me absorbing the cost...as it is very obvious...this is a faulty, dangerous vehicle! please....please contact me to inform me of what can be done. I have less than a year of payments on this vehicle...and at this point don't feel safe driving long distance or anywhere else in the van.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Mar 212013

Monterey 6-cyl

Multiple times loss of power and ability to drive. RPM's jumped all over and vehicle would stall or not start at all. In and out of shop over 2 months leaving me without a vehicle or driving a loaner car. Finally replaced PCM and wiring harness. Not even a year later the exact same problem is occurring again and warranty is expired. Also found out another vehicle was in the shop at the same time with the same problem.

- Aplington, IA, USA

Apr 202013

Monterey 6-cyl

My wife was leaving work, when she attempted to drive her van home the van would not go into gear and kept stalling. I just thank god that this didn't happen while she was on the interstate. She works part time for a Ford dealer and we were able to roll the van around to the service area. Three days later the service writer notified us that it was a defective PCM module. Apparently there is a known defect that because of a design flaw water is able to drip onto the control module thus shorting it out and rendering the car useless. I read several complaints on line as well as discovering that Ford knows about this condition and even has a tsb out concerning this situation. I called Ford and explained what happened and even mentioned the known tsb. They were not very sympathetic and would do nothing to help me out. When I said I was going to file a complaint with the NHTSA they invited me to do so. The needed repair is going to run me roughly $800 dollars to fix. I have to put out my hard earned money to fix something that Ford is aware of by the existence of their own tsb. I do not feel I should be financially responsible for Ford's mistake, the dealer should have offered to fix it for free regardless of being out of warranty. We have been very inconvenienced by this being one car down. There are seven Ford in our family and I have owned Ford all my life. I previously lost a lot of money on a 99 Windstar that lost it's transmission at 80K. I will more then likely buy another Ford but I have to say that I am toying with the idea of switching to another brand, one that stands behind their product instead of turning their backs on a loyal customer. Other manufactures offer 100K or ten year warranties, why can't Ford? I firmly believe that myself along with others with this same problem should be compensated by Ford, they are clearly negligent in this situation.

- Delanco, NJ, USA

Dec 112011

Monterey

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Monterey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the engine misfired and caused the vehicle to be jolted forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. After diagnosis, they advised him that water was entering the PCM and causing the failure. The vehicle was repaired by the PCM being resealed at the connector. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000. The current mileage was approximately 65,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Aug 092012

Monterey 6-cyl

Stall engine with no power for forward or reverse. Malfunction indicator comes on and the vehicle will not start for more than couple seconds. Multiple ABS and drive codes based on the eec test. Repair shop inspects the vehicle and found water intrusion to the powertrain control module (PCM) and the connector pins where short out.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

May 312012

Monterey 6-cyl

My van began to lose power at certain speeds, almost skipping at times. I took the van to my personal mechanic, whom investigated the issue for 4 days, and ruled out the engine, he stated that it was the transmission. A few days later, I received a recall notice from Ford informing me that the vehicle was coming under recall for the torque converter. Approximately 3 weeks ago, I took the vehicle to the Ford dealership and asked them to investigate. The dealership opened at 7 am, and when they called me at 7:29 am, they swore it was not the transmission. They claimed it was the motor and could not pin point any specific reason as to why. Then they claimed that the #6 plug was misfiring 16% of the time?? I consulted with my mechanic and he stated very clearly that if that was true, my check engine light would come on and stay on. It has not. The vehicle continues to worsen every day with the skipping or stuttering. Im now only getting 13 mpg whether in town or on the highway. I don't know whether to take it to a transmission specialist to confirm or not. Apparently, from what I have researched, Ford does not want to honor their recall, and is using the scape goat, " your vehicle is out of warranty, so you have to pay. "

- Endicott, NY, USA

Apr 212012

Monterey 6-cyl

Our torque converter/transmission failed on our 2005 Monterey. My wife was driving the vehicle on route 1 in Edison, NJ and it lost all gears. I called for emergency towing (it was a Saturday evening 4/21) and had it brought to a repair shop. I went to Ford's web site to see if there was a recall. I entered the VIN and no recall showed up. None. So, I proceeded to have the repair shop start to work on it on (4/23). Now I find that there is a recall (4/26) via a shady, intentionally misleading email from Ford. Ford's customer service has been evasive and not helpful. They told me that later in the year torque converters would be available for the replacement, but mine has unfortunately already failed. Furthermore, if we had known that there was a recall, we would have had it towed to a Ford dealer, not a local service shop. But their web site specifically said that no recall existed for the vehicle. We now have a vehicle 90 miles away from our home in a repair shop that is going to need major work and the van only has 68,000 miles on it. Ford has failed to help us with this. We have 5 children and this is our only family vehicle. They sold a faulty product, acknowledged it and still will not help us with it.

- Woodstown, NJ, USA

Jan 272012

Monterey 4WD 6-cyl

My van was towed to the local Ford garage where we bought 5 years ago this past Saturday. I was told today the problem is in the torque converter or transmission. I just found out there was a lawsuit brought upon Ford because of transmission related problems in 2005 Monterey's. just a brife review shows me there are hundreds of people experiancing the same problems as I am. I also believe NHTSA investigated this problem. What bothers me the most is that I just got done paying this car off and the low mileage at the time of failure. What are my options to get relief " should I phone the attorneys who handled the original case? can you give any other information such as others who my have also filed complaints similar to mine"

- Watertown, WI, USA

Dec 302011

Monterey

We were driving along a main highway when suddenly, without any warning at all, it was like the vehicle slipped into neutral and would no longer move - on the highway! we had our 2 young children in the car and were fortunately able to get it to the side of the road without a safety incident. We were 50 miles from home, had to have it towed to a dealer nearly 20 minutes away. Our diagnosis on the car was that the torque converter on the transmission failed. The dealer mentioned that he had seen this quite a bit on a few models with the same component, but when I questioned him on his comment he backtracked and said he shouldn't have said that. He told us it would take at least 3-4 days to repair and since we were far from home, we were stuck in another city with no transportation (as they wouldn't give us a loaner). Seeing our distress and knowing we were in a bad situation, he later offered to put 2 guys working on it to get it done by the end of the day. As we were in a strange town with a 4 and 6 year old (and we were on our way to celebrate the 6yr birthday), we were forced to rent a car if we didn't want to keep them in a Ford dealership for the next 6 hours. When we returned to pick up the car, the service dept did pick up the tab on the rental car. Our final bill was $1,786.15 and a complete distrust of our Ford product. We no longer feel particularly safe in the vehicle or w/our kids in the vehicle, especially after reading all the others that had similar problems to this and beyond. However, we are not in a position to buy a new vehicle and would like Ford to take responsibility for something that seems an obvious defective design and/or manufacturing defect with their product. Peoples lives are at risk here - we are lucky we weren't hit from behind on the hwy when it suddenly lost power! lucky!! be responsible and do right by your customers Ford!

- Pella, IA, USA

Dec 092011

Monterey 6-cyl

My 2005 Mercury Monterey will 66,765 miles on it will not engage the transmission. You can put it in forward, reverse, or any other gear and it does not have the normal feel that any engagement happened. And when you let off the brake it does not move and when you give it some gas it does not move. It does not matter which gear it is in either. The car made it home with out any notice of the problem but the next day when I wanted to back out of the garage the transmission is totally gone. From research I know I'm going to hear that the torque converter output shaft splines are stripped causing a sudden loss of power to the drive-train.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Dec 032011

Monterey 6-cyl

We were traveling normally when suddenly all motive force was lost. The engine ran normally, but vehicle would not proceed under power. It was as if the vehicle was in neutral. The vehicle would not proceed under any power either forward or reverse. There was absolutely no warning of the power train failure.

- Elkins, WV, USA