2006 Mercury Monterey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercury Monterey:

2006 Mercury Monterey Owner Comments

Jan 012010

Monterey 6-cyl

I do not know the dates or mileages at the time, I'm sure it was over 36,000 miles or else I would have taken it into the dealer. Actually the first time I may have, and they probably said "your car didn't throw out a code" I've heard that many times... on at least two occasions, possibly three, I hit the brakes *lightly* in dry weather and it sets off the traction control. One time I was rushing my son to the hospital and I could not go over 40 miles an hour, I was on a highway so I could not safely pull over (that was not the first time it had happened so I knew I needed to stop and shut the car off to "reset" it. I just cried all the way to the hospital). I believe it went off when I tapped the brakes to get onto the onramp, I had a "yield". another time I was on a busy two-lane road with traffic behind me, that may have been the first time it happened because I was freaked out. I could not go the minimum speed on the road and I could not pull over (no shoulder). At the stop light I did everything I could think of to get it working again. I tried shifting into park, but that did not help. I think I made it to the next light and turned the car off and it restarted fine. Actually, this issue probably happened 4 or 5 times overall. I believe it happened to my husband once, then he finally believe me. This should be looked into as well.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Aug 212010

Pulling out into hwy to cross traffic, car quit accelerating. Started "jumping" like out of gas. Was sitting crosswise in the road now, with cars coming from both directions, just kept pushing gas, and it'd move a few inches at a time. Finally got across into lane, and had to drive it like that to turn off a few hundred yards. Turned ignition off, and on, and was normal again. Has done this several times, yet Ford says nothing is wrong.

- Calvert City, KY, USA