2006 Mercury Monterey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercury Monterey:

2006 Mercury Monterey Owner Comments

May 012015

I have already replaced the transmission on this vehicle and do not want to incur the expense replacing another. With no warning the vehicle acted as if it slipped or popped out of gear as I was going down a fairly busy street. I had lost all gears. I could move the shifter but no gears would engage. I had the vehicle towed to my residence then to the repair shop. Not sure how many complaints regarding this issue you need before notifying the manufacturer to declare a recall, but I'm sure the complaints written on this site represent a very small number of people that have or are having this very same issue as the 2004 and 2005 model year that for some reason did get a recall issued. It is time the 2006 models were included.

- Grandville, MI, USA

Nov 042015

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Monterey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift into reverse or park position without warning. As a result, the vehicle continued to drift forward. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- Kunkletown, PA, USA

Jul 312015

I was driving at 45 mph when the transmission jumped and lost all the gears. I was able to coast to the side of the road and shut off the van. I started it back up and was able to shift through all of the gears but would not move just rev the rpms. Had it towed to a transmission place and was advised there is a recall on this happening with the torque getting stripped. Contacted Ford to be advised it was not included for my VIN even though they are aware of this issue happening with other vans same year and make. Ford refuses to assist or cover this repair.

- Mayville, MI, USA

Jul 202015

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Monterey. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the torque converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 12V006000 (power train); however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. MA 10/2

- Miller Place , NY, USA

Mar 272015

Monterey 6-cyl

Vehicle making clanking noise when pressing gas pedal. Three different mechanics said it is in transmission and could involve the torque converter again.

- Concord, NC, USA

Nov 202013

Monterey 6-cyl

Crossing over busy road and when pressing gas pedal there was no power. All it did was rev the engine. Luckily I was able to glide to a side road and have the vehicle towed. Mechanic said it was the torque converter that was bad.

- Concord, NC, USA

Jul 272014

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Monterey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift gears. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated that the torque converter needed to be replaced. There were no repairs completed on the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure mileage was 68,056.

- Granville, IL, USA

Jan 142014

Monterey 6-cyl

Was at stop light went to pull off and it stopped and lost power at the light pulled over to the shoulder had it towed. The mechanic told me it was the torque converter issue that Ford recalled for the 2005 year Mercury Monterey but not for the 2006 year model. I called Ford and the told me they was sorry but there was nothing they can or could do for me.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Oct 252013

Monterey 6-cyl

My vehicle was inspected the same day the transmission went. My brother was driving it home from the (non-Ford) dealership, where he works. I had not had any transmission problems previously. This is what he sent me: "I made a left hand turn out of wawa into the center lane. There was no one coming so I gave it a little more throttle just to gain speed so I could get over into the actual lane. When I did this it almost felt like the trans went from grabbing to just "revving" with no power. I coasted it into giant's parking lot. Once stopped I tried all the gears and it would just rev up and not move." A few days later I had the van towed to a local mechanic. He then told me that "the pump went" and that I needed a new transmission. He also told me to check for recalls because it might have one and it would be fixed for free, instead of paying him tons of money (which I find admirable). With just a little research I found the recall on the 04 & 05's (NHTSA action number EA09016). I sent him the articles and links I found to ask if this was my problem, he said yes. This minivan is less than 8 years and has just under 80K miles on it (manufactured in 2/06 but not purchased until the end of April). It's not hard to figure out that I drive less than 10,000 miles per year. It shouldn't need a new transmission! my husband's Saturn has almost 200K on it and not needed any major work like this. I fully expected to keep this minivan around for a lot longer than this. It makes me really sad to think of her just sitting in a lot of other non-working jalopies! I was shocked to see lots of the same thing happening to others here on this website with the same vehicle. Please help us! recall this model year!!! thank you.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Oct 252013

Monterey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Monterey. The contact stated that while accelerating, the vehicle attempted to stall. The contact shifted into park and then drive, but the vehicle would not accelerate. The contact also shifted into reverse but still no response. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic, who stated that the entire power train needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the power train replaced. The failure mileage was 66,000....updated 03/07/14 the torque converter was replaced. Updated 03/13/14

- New York, NY, USA

Jul 242013

Monterey 6-cyl

My wife was pulling out onto a busy street after being stopped at a stop sign and after making the turn and trying to get up to the speed of traffic she noticed that the car had quit accelerating. After losing drive power unexpectedly she was able to coast over to the side of the road to allow the approaching cars to pass. The engine of the car continued to run, but placing the car into any gear did not engage. We had to have the vehicle towed, and found out that the torque converter had failed.

- Hutchinson, MN, USA

Jul 252013

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Monterey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, she approached a traffic stop signal and the transmission failed to operate. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who informed that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Jul 122013

Monterey 6-cyl

My wife was traveling with my family on the taconic state parkway in our minivan when without warning. It loss power. The vehicle gave no signs of any problem no warning lights of any kind. My wife was able to pull over to the service road and had to wait for a tow truck. The vehicle does not move forward nor does go into reverse. A search online shows that the 2004 2005 Mercury Monterey were recalled for transmission problem however not the 2006.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 232013

Monterey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Monterey. The contact stated that the transmission failed intermittently and slipped out of overdrive. The contact also stated that the cruise control failed to engage while it was set. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000. Updated 06/18/13 the consumer stated the dealer flushed the transmission, but it did not solve the problem. The dealer stated since the engine light was not on, there was no way to diagnose the problem. The vehicle would lose power and then shift in and out of overdrive. Updated 06/28/13

- Windham , NY, USA

Nov 012012

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Monterey. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds the vehicle decelerated without warning. The vehicle was later towed to an independent mechanic. After diagnosis, the contact was advised that the pump shaft failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 115,000. The current mileage was approximately 116,000.

- Frankford, KY, USA

Jan 102013

Monterey 6-cyl

While driving, the vehicle suddenly lost forward gear. After coasting to the side of the road we found that the vehicle has lost both forward and reverse gears. The vehicle could not be moved under its own power. Nothing else on the vehicle was affected. Ford has a powertrain recall for the torque converter on the same model vehicle produced in 2004 and 2005. The 2006 model has the same powertrain components and it seems that the recall should be extended to the 2006 model also.

- Hanna, IN, USA

Oct 152012

Monterey 6-cyl

My wife was taking our 6-yr daughter to daisy scouts when at a busy three-way stop sign, without warning signs or symptoms, the vehicle would not move forward or take any power from the still running engine. Complete and total loss of all ability to put vehicle into any gear, including reverse. Had to be pushed off to the side of road by helpful strangers who exited their cars to assist my wife. We are methodical about servicing our vehicles at the dealership. No clues or indications of any transmission trouble before this occurred. Caused a traffic back-up behind her with other cars honking and swiftly pulling out from behind her and passing her. Could have been even more dangerous for her, and anyone assisting her, if it had happened to her on busy bridge, tunnel or interstate at speed.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Feb 032012

Monterey 6-cyl

Note date will not register//on Friday Feb. 03,2012 was entering I-4 here in Florida. I noted that the tach went to 4000.RPM. Started to loose power and finally pulled off road. Tried all gears and nothing worked. Called a tow truck and had towed to a Mercury dealer. They indicated that is was the torque converter. He stated that there was a recall, but not on my car. Please explain why there was not a recall?

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Dec 262011

Monterey 6-cyl

The torque converter failed on a busy freeway. Was unable to use engine power to safely navigate to a safe stopping point. The splines on the gear in the converter stripped off removing the connection between the engine and the transmission.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Sep 272011

Monterey 6-cyl Diesel

Vehicle stopped for a traffic light. When a drive away was attempted the vehicle would not move in any gear. Engine operated normally. There were absolutely no warning signs. Vehicle was transported to a Ford service garage. The diagnosis was a failed torque converter.

- Livonia, MI, USA