NHTSA — Seats: Front Assembly: Seat Heater/Cooler Problems

1998 Mercury Mountaineer accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Mercury Mountaineer:

1998 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Apr 192002

Mountaineer 4WD

The brakcet for the sliding seat on the passenger side floorboard got so hot that it blistered my thumb when I bumped it trying to get the inhaler that I dropped. My daughter had been having asthma attacks in this auto. I now have her ride with someone else and the attacks have stopped. Becuase the Mercury's floorboard gets so hot, I no longer allow my children to ride in it.

- Cassville, MO, USA

Mar 092002

Mountaineer 4WD

The front floorboard overheated. The front seats became warm as if a seat heater was turned on. The vehicle has none. The front tires began making a whomping sound as if flat. I pulled over checked the tire pressure. It was normal. I continued to my destination. The ABS light and airbag light then began to flash. I continued to drive. Upon reaching my destination, I reached under the passenger side seat to get the keys I dropped. I accidently bumped the seat bracket with my left tall finger blistering it.

- Cassville, MO, USA

Feb 112002

Mountaineer 4WD

Seat bracket was hot enough to blister the skin when touched.

- Cassville, MN, USA