1998 Mercury Mountaineer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Mercury Mountaineer:

1998 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mountaineer 4WD

Blow out, vehicle rolled, hospital/san antonio by airflight. Policyholder confirmed Firestone tire on vehicle exact model not known yet but most likely will be wilderness. He said that he had Firestone wilderness tires on the Mountaineer. He said that the wrecker yard does have the piece of tread that seperated and it peeled off all in one piece. He said that the tire that it came off of is still inflated. Explained again he said that since his family sustained serious injuries, he is going to consult with a lawyer to pursue a bl claim against Firestone. (claim# 53-C601-172)

- Victoria, TX, USA

Sep 142000

Mountaineer 4WD

On 09/14/00 I left my house and entered my vehicle, to run errands. Upon pulling out of my driveway, I noticed that my tires were slipping. Upon getting out of the car, I noticed I had a flat tire. I called a friend to change my tire. Once the tire was off the vehicle, I began looking for the reason the tire went flat. My friend and I both soon realized that my tire was flat because the tread was beginning to separate from the tire. I still have the tire in my garage. Thankfully, no one was hurt. I have contacted Firestone, only to be told that my tires were not included in the recall. It appears to me that the same thing is happening to my tires that happened to the tires being recalled. I am now afraid to drive my car with these tires on it. Being a full-time college student, I need to drive my car. I am not in a position to afford the extra cost of new tires even if I may be reimbursed sometime down the road. Firestone will not help me. I'm hoping you can do something for me. Thank you very much for your time. (dot number: W2hl tiresize: P235/75R15)

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 022000

Mountaineer

These Firestone, wilderness/at, P23575R15 are equipped on a Mercury, Mountaineer 1998. They have began to develop cracks were tread meets the sidewall around the whole tire, and parts have separated. Firestone, and Ford contacted. These tires have a C heat rating which means they can be driven at 85 miles per hour for 30 min.

- Hot Springs, AR, USA

Nov 291999

Mountaineer 4WD

PE#00020 - consumer had experienced tread seperation on the right front tire while driving approximaely 65 mph. Replacement tire issued by Firestone was a recall tire. Consumer was able to have the front right tire replaced on recall. The other 3 original tires, which were the same size of P235/75R15, have not been replaced because plant code was different from the recall tires. However, all 3 tires experienced cracking around the entire tire of where the tread met the tire. Consumer has advised Firestone of problem, who also recognized the problem, but did not offer consumer satisfactory service. Tires were the original tires purchased with the vehicle. The vehicle a 1998, Mercury truck, Mountaineer. Ford company blames Firestone for the tire problem.

- Hot Springs, SD, USA

Aug 152000

Mountaineer 4WD

Beginning tire seperation and beading was discovered when I had my tires checked and unltimitely replaced.( dot number: Vnhl1py358 tire size: P23575R15 )

- North Bend, WA, USA

Mountaineer 4WD

There is a crack (line) that goes around the side of the tire approx 1 to 1.5 inches below the top of the tread( dot number: W2hl tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Sep 062000

Mountaineer

The steel belt has been exposed on three of the four tires. The steel belt on 2 of the tires can be lifted up by my fingers. I have never seen a tire wear like this. I wouln not have noticed this unless I read of current problems with the Firestone tires. Upon my inspection I discovered this early wear problem. I fear for my safty and my family driving on amy Firestone tire of the wilderness 'at' type. I need to know if there tires mfg. At the N.C. plant will be recalled. I am keeping the car at home. I called Ford motor and they said all their tires are safe. Then why are there tires wearing and failing so early. I need help regarding these tires. Asap.( dot number: W2hl tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Troy, MI, USA

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Sep 062000

- Troy, MI, USA

Aug 142000

Mountaineer 4WD

Firestone P235/75R15 dotw2hl experienced tread separation on right rear passenger tire, consumer had just previously had tires checked at a Firestone dealer who stated tires were okay, consumer is requesting reimbursement.

- Godfrey, IL, USA

Mountaineer

PE00-020, tire size P23575R15 dot vnhl, original equipment Mercury, Mountaineer, 1998. Driving at approximately 55 mph right front tire tread came off, causing vehicle to be pulled off the road. Tire stayed inflated, but tread came completey off, right down to steel belt, as though it was recap tire. Consumer took tire to Firestone, and was told it had correct air pressure.

- Orem, UT, USA

Aug 012000

Mountaineer

PE00 020; took vehicle to the dealership after receiving a recall letter from Firestone. There were no tires available. Firestone, wilderness#at, P2357515, #dot vd. There were no injuries.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Aug 102000

Mountaineer

Vehicle parked when news was heard on tv about tires. Checked tires and left front tires showed tread separation and steel belt sticking out. Took vehicle to Ford & mechanic replaced tire with the spare. Later, took vehicle to Firestone & was informed tires were not on recall due to not being from Decatur plant. Firestone tires on 1998, Mercury Mountaineer, 38,000 miles. Firestone Wilderness AT P235/75R15 with 34,000 miles.

- Franklingto, LA, USA

Mountaineer 4WD

PE00020; tire tread separation: All four tires are showing signs of tread separation. Tires have cracks along the sidewall. While driving at speeds of 50 and above, there is a very loud humming noise. Tire size is P235/75R15, dot #W2hl. Original tire equipment on a 98, Mountaineer. Tire mileage about 30,000. The customer received recall notice for Firestone tires, but the dealer after looking at the tires indicated that they were not covered.

- Manorville, NY, USA

Sep 082000

Mountaineer 4WD

PE00020, tire tread separation: Front passenger's side tire is showing signs of tread separation. There is a tear between the letters R and E in Firestone. Firestone, wildersness at, P23575R15, dot #vnhl. Original tire equipment with about 16,100 miles.

- Dorset, VT, USA

Sep 082000

Mountaineer

Consumer had seen recall information on Firestone tires. Consumer was concerned about the recall, and Firestone was not willing to help.

- Florien, LA, USA

Mountaineer 4WD

PE00020, original tire on 1998, Mercury, Mountaineer. All four tires had cracks along tread and sidewall. It seemed that tread has been peeling off. Tire size P235/75R15 and dot # vnhlipy337.

- East Meadow, NY, USA

Sep 072000

Mountaineer

After reading information on the recall, inspected the tires, and found cracks on them, as well as tread separation. Firestone P235/75R15 dot # vnhl1py437. The Firestone dealers confirmed that the tires were defective. The firstone Wilderness AT tires had continuous crack on outside of the tread line.

- Glen Carvon, IL, USA

Aug 312000

Mountaineer

On April 2,2000 while traveling on interstate 10 at 70 mph I experienced a tire separation and blowout. At the time I had all five original tires on my Mountaineer. After the separation I put the spare in service and the next morning I purchased three new Firestone Wilderness AT tires and placed them in service which gave me five tires with zero miles on them.after hearing of the firstone recall after returning to Minnesota I had my Firestone dealer check my tires. I was informed that my tires did not meet the requirements for recall because they had the dot#W2hl instead of the dot#vdhl.all of my ties have the W2hl number and yet I was one of the persone that experienced a tire separation and blowout just as thet-V report stated was the reason for the recall. I have no trust in these tires. I would like a suggestionor instruction as to what to do. M. L. geiszler, bemidji, minn.estone recall( dot number: W2hl tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Bemidji, MN, USA

Aug 122000

Mountaineer 4WD

While inspecteting tires after seeing the news on tv, found tread separation on the right front and left rear tires. Firestone wilderness P235/75 R15, dot vnhnl.

- Springfield, OH, USA