2002 Mercury Mountaineer accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer:

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Jun 282010

Mountaineer 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving my 2002 Mercury Mountaineer on vacation in Florida 1400 miles from home with my kids, I was on the interstate 75 on alligator alley when I was coming up on two semi trucks, I applied the brake and instead of the cruise control shutting off it sped up fast sending me towards the semi trailers going about 85 mph, I slammed on the brakes and veered off the interstate onto the shoulder and grabbed the gear shift lever to downshift to slow it down and the shift lever broke of in my hand, I got the SUV home and contacted the Ford dealer and I was told that there is a recall on the cruise control for failure but that I have to pay around 1 thousand dollars for the shifter arm that broke off when the cruise control defect caused all of this in the first place and the shifter arm should be a recall also as there are thousands and thousands of instances of shifter arms breaking on these models.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 142006

The rear lift gate seemingly is open although all the doors of the car are closed it still shows a "door ajar" sign in the information panel in the dashboard.

- Centreville, VA, USA

May 102005

Mountaineer 8-cyl

Rear lifgate latch failure. Unable to open rear liftgate in event of an emergency. Also rear glass liftgate pistions that hold up window within liftgate failure, lower onto persons head.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA