5.5

2002 Mercury Mountaineer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer:

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Jun 012008

Mountaineer

The paint chips and flakes off regardless of weather/salt or how often I wash the car. I lean against the car and paint flakes off.

The flaking and chipped paint has allowed moisture to build behind areas and there are now large rust spots that have formed. I have attempted to patch these myself but 1. I have no idea how to properly do it; 2. It takes a very long time when you don't have equipment; and 3. It rusts right back through the patch.

- , Darlington, MD, USA

Jun 052006

Mountaineer Premium 4.6L V8

C'mon Ford! Why make a part that does this? Why not use similar materials across all of your vehicles. Most A pillars just fade and you can paint them. Paint does NOT want to stick to these pillars (back peels, too). I had them painted, but the paint is peeling, too. I may put vinyl sheets on them to cover it up.

- , Largo, FL, USA

May 302007

Mountaineer V6

Very awful to look at, Shouldn't happen!

- , Sheffield, MA, USA

Sep 082006

Mountaineer

On the door pillars of almost all used 2002 and 2003 Explorers and Mountaineers, I have seen paint fade. I guess that would be the best way to describe it. Now I have a 2002 Mountaineer and on all 6 of my pillars, 4 door and 2 on the hatch, are all giving this paint peel look. I stopped at my local dealer- Whitman Ford, Temperance MI, and they say there is not a problem. I have an issue with that, as I can walk over the the used lot and count 90% of the Explorers they have are all doing the same. Now since I was informed there is no recall, can someone there please tell me if I can get free replacements due to that it is a manufactures defect and really should be recalled since it isn't a one time thing. It is on 5 vehicles I counted at the used lot and every car I see on the road.

- , Erie, MI, USA