2.8

2002 Mercury Mountaineer brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer:

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Apr 092007

Mountaineer 8-cyl

I heard a scraping noise in the right rear brake when backing out of the garage, similar to the sound given when brake replacement was required. I took the 2002 Mountaineer to a certified mechanic for brake replacement. When the right rear rotor was pulled the front parking brake pad fell out. On inspection the metal area that attached the pad to the brake mechanism rusted through, allowing the pad to fall freely into the drum. The mechanic said the pad scrapping the drum when I was backing out of the garage was the noise I was hearing and it rotated with the wheel. He said the car could not pass NY state inspection because the emergency brake would not hold the car when applied, rendering the brake unusable in an emergency, and demonstrated that to me. My wife has driven the car 98% of the time since I purchased it new in January 2003. She never engaged the parking brake so the emergency brake pads, though rusty, were in good shape.

- Elmira Heights, NY, USA