5.0

2002 Mercury Mountaineer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer:

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

May 042016

Mountaineer 4.0L

The OD light started flashing on, along with check engine. This went on for a while but nothing seemed to be wrong with it. Then, 2 days ago, the front end started locking up on right turns and stalling on left turns. My wife said it was making a noise right before. Well, crawling under it there is a bolt, gear, or something metal sticking out of the front end stump.

Update from Jul 15, 2016: We have decided to not repair the vehicle and bought a new one. Hello Jeep goodbye Ford, or in this case Mercury.

- , White Pine, TN, USA

Dec 012014

Mountaineer SUV V8

Engine light has been on since I purchased the vehicle, about 6 months ago I had it looked at by my mechanic and he could find nothing wrong. There must be a problem somewhere. Anybody else have this problem? I so I would like to know what was done for the repair.

- , Clinton, MA, USA

Apr 152012

Mountaineer V8

SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT WILL NOT TURN OFF. NOT PICKING UP ANY CODES SO........IF A PROBLEM ARISES I WILL NEVER KNOW IT BECAUSE LIGHT WILL NOT TURN OFF....................

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

May 012010

Mountaineer 4.0L V8

Not sure what to say about this problem. I have followed the manual and reset the light and every time after about 50 or so miles, the light return.

- , Apo, AE, USA