2.7

2002 Mercury Mountaineer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer:

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Aug 152016

Mountaineer

I was driving on the highway & stopped at one of the service stations along the highway. When I returned to the vehicle I put my children in the car, turned it on, put the car in drive hit the gas & the vehicle did not move. I tried putting it in reverse & nothing happened. The car would rev up but would not move. It felt like I had the car on neutral. Tried several times & nothing happened. I then tried to put the car on D3 & that is when it moved slightly. Park & drive do not work!! very dangerous had this happened while I was still driving on the highway, which is what would have probably happened. I was only out of my car for 10 minutes.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Apr 222016

Mountaineer

Started vehicle to go to work like every day tried to shift into R shifter broke of in my hand. Needs to be recalled. I am glad it happened in drive way. I live on highway and it could have broke after I was in highway shifting into D.

- Aurora, MO, USA

Feb 202014

Mountaineer

The problem I have is that the oil filter drain sleeve has cut into the oil pressure sencer wire cluster so my car is reading low oil pressure but has suffenct pressure

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 152003

Mountaineer

I have a continued problem of the ABS light coming on. I have had it in the shop 5-6 times. They changed the sensor and a while later it comes back on. On several occasions, my brakes have gone all the way to the floor. The dealership maintains that Mercury is aware of the problem and may be working on a recall. My light is now on again and have placed a call to the dealership. I have to wait for the manager to return to town to see what he would like to do. Oh, and I do have the extended warranty that I have paid over $2,000. What is that for" what will it take, my brakes to go out"

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Jul 102002

Mountaineer

Consumer states that they hit the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal as a result of them being located too close together almost resulting in accident.

- Libonia, MI, USA

Jun 302002

Mountaineer

Consumer stated that the oil pressure gauge, battery voltage gauge and coolant temperature gauge do not give accurate readings of the respective engine activities.

- Lincoln, NE, USA