2002 Mercury Mountaineer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer:

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Sep 252006

Mountaineer 6-cyl

I had problems getting the key to turn on the steering wheel after I inserted the key into the keyhole. I hear a vibrating noise coming from the steering wheel. After a while I could not hardly get the shifter to go into reverse, neutral, or drive. I experienced the noise for a while. I was parked on a slight hill and the shifter was hard to go into any gear. I finally got the gear shifter to go to drive. The next time the steering and shifter locked up was while I was with my family at the local store. It locked up and would not go to any gear. I turned the key off and tried it again, then the shifter fell off in my hand. I had to get it towed to charlie henderson Ford (the local dealer).I feel this is a problem in a lot of these models. I have another relative who had this problem too. Please check into these 2002 Mercury Mountaineer vehicles.

- Kiln, MS, USA