9.0

$1,000.00

2. replace the gear shift (1 reports)
2003 Mercury Mountaineer accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercury Mountaineer:

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Oct 012009

Mountaineer

All I have to say is that I always believed Ford vehicles last especially with 45,000 miles & with care. Just disappointed.

- , iselin, NJ, USA

Feb 192012

Mountaineer LX

In the past two years, I have replaced the gear shift (on the column) for my 2003 Mercury Mountaineer a total of 3 times! You will drive it, put it into park, restart the vehicle and then literally, the gear shift will fall out in your hand!!

I have had to pay for it to be towed, (you can't get the key out, you can't lock the doors, and sometimes you can't turn it off) because it is out of gear. It did this with less than 100,000 miles on the vehicle and casual driving only.

I have had to have the entire steering column pulled 3 times in order to repair. This is obviously a huge design flaw and I am very fortunate it hasn't happend while driving down the road! I have spent thousands of dollars repairing. Ford/Mercury needs to recall this vehicle as I have seen that it has happend on other year models. What's the deal?

- , Nashville, TN, USA