2003 Mercury Mountaineer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercury Mountaineer:

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Mar 252013

The contact owns a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the rear differential made a popping sound. The contact stated that while in reverse, the popping sound was louder. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic for a diagnostic test. The mechanic noticed a leak in the rear differential and stated the rear differential needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the rear differential replaced. The failure mileage was 240,000.

- Springfield, MO, USA

May 042012

Mountaineer 6-cyl

Ford has a tsb on their website for the problems I am having with my vehicle. I contacted tyem and I was told that I have to pay for the repairs. What I do not understand is if there are sooo many complaint from consumers on this vehicle for the same issues is that not the responsibility of the manufacture being it considered a defective product? I have to children and this is of extreme concern to me that these issues on my car can cause an accident. -back trunk door is cracked down the latch. -the car doesn't shift correctly and tires seem loose -the overdrive light is blinking all the time and the transmission is signaling.. I have found so many websites with complaints about the same issues on 2003-2004 Mercury Mountaineer.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 292012

The gear shift gets stuck in park and I have to pull down on it really hard to get it in drive or reverse I'm afraid that its going to break one day.

- West Point, MS, USA

Mar 022012

Mountaineer 6-cyl

Transmission failed while traveling @ 35 mph, would not shift into next gear.

- Powell, OH, USA

Oct 092011

I attempted to put my vehicle in reverse so I could pull out of a parking space. When I did this, the transmission level broke right off. The vehicle, since it is full-time AWD, cannot be moved or towed since all the wheels are engaged in park. The metal holding the transmission lever to the steering column sheared off which I can only consider to be a grave safety risk if the vehicle was in motion and this happened.

- Medford, MA, USA

Oct 222009

Mountaineer 6-cyl

I have had a problem for a couple years when I put the car in gear it doesn't "lock" in the gear I have to adjust it twice, didn't think much of it and thank god no accident. But I just learned to deal with it until I saw this. Want updates on this issue.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Sep 072009

We purchased a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer approx. 9 months ago and have now discovered that the front differential has gone out. When we did extensive research we found that there was a massive recall between 2002 - 2006 for this manufacturer's defect on Mountaineer, Explorer, Expedition and range/lnd rovers. When we contacted Ford Motor Co; they said that our particular VIN# did not make the recall list. When I asked how come a manufacture's defect could not make the recall list they said it could be an oversight or just maybe not for that model. I then asked how come the research proved to show that these were defective upon manufacturing and some of them not get recalled they had no answer for me. We now have a vehicle that is inoperative and nobody wants to clarify the problem. We have had 2 estimates both with used parts from a wrecking yard. The 1st estimate was $1350 and the 2nd was $800 and no guarantees since they would be pulling the front differential off of a wrecked vehicle the same year as ours and it could also potentially be defective. We do not have the money for the repairs and now my husband has no transportation to get to work. He does drive my car at the moment but can not carry all of his tools in my vehicle since his is an SUV. We did seek legal council and were informed that we need to file this complaint in hopes that you could force Ford to recall our vehicle and they said we had a very good law suit. If my husband did not have this checked and continued to drive it without knowledge of the problem it could have resulted in the gears locking up and a crash which could have resulted in serious injuries or even deaths. Please advise what our options are.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 262009

Mountaineer 8-cyl

2003 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6L-V8: When the vehicle is not under acceleration [stop sign/signal, exiting an expressway to a surface street, coasting] the engine will not hold idle, then stall. The steering & brakes are compromised when the engine stalls. To restart the engine, the headlights go dark for a moment...this is a very serious matter. Decelerating from an expressway to a surface street, on a curved exit ramp, at night makes for an out of control situation where the driver can not see because of engine failure! I've replaced the throttle position censor [tps] with no improvement. The dealer offers replacement of parts $1500, and no guarantee of solving the problem. The vehicle is useless to me fore it is a hazard to be on the road...for me and anyone else driving near me.

- West Amherst, NY, USA

Jul 282008

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Sep 012006

2003 Mercury Mountaineer transmission made a clunking sound, slid backwards and forwards while shifting into reverse. A/C blower motor made a humming sound. While driving the motor would misfire. While driving the consumer noticed that the dash light went out. The consumer attempted to correct the problem by turning the lighting switch. When the switch was turned the dash light came on but the headlights went out. The consumer's indicated that they sometimes hear popping sounds while driving, which seems to be of an electrical nature.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 172006

2003 Mountaineer transaxle housing broke in half. The oil from the transaxle leaked on the exhaust causing a small fire. The driver indicated that she may have hit an object in the road.

- Mayfield Vlg, OH, USA