2003 Mercury Mountaineer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercury Mountaineer:

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Oct 222009

Mountaineer 6-cyl

I have had a problem for a couple years when I put the car in gear it doesn't "lock" in the gear I have to adjust it twice, didn't think much of it and thank god no accident. But I just learned to deal with it until I saw this. Want updates on this issue.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Jun 052008

Rear back hatch cracked when purchased, promised to be fixed by dealership, but they never honored their promise. I have since seen several Mercury Mountaineer with the rear back hatch cracked as well, wondering why their wasn't a recall?? also transmission problems, already replaced transfer case and now power steering is leaking.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Dec 102009

Gear shift lever (prndl) snapped off of steering column when shifting into park from a dead stopped position.

- Matawan, NJ, USA

Sep 132008

I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer. I just recently found out from a mechanic that the racket pinion steering column is leaking and the mechanic feels it is a manufacturer defect. I have contacted Ford and they will not even look at it.

- Carrollton, TX, USA