1.2

2004 Mercury Mountaineer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Mountaineer:

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Aug 082013

Mountaineer 6-cyl

Rear glass tail gate hatch hinge - the hinge pin was coming out through the pot metal casting. Every time I opened it wore a bit more. Hinge was twisted - glass hung down out of position. I was afraid it would fail on the road and injure a car behind me. I bought a new dealer hinge and installed it myself. Parts and service people at dealer neglected to tell me to disconnect the gas cylinders. With tailgate closed gas cylinders are not visible. I removed the bad hinge in preparation to install new. It was a wrestling match as the cylinder was trying to force the glass out and down which twisted the other hinge. Now that other hinges pin is breaking through the pot metal. It took two of us to wrestle the cylinder and get the new hinge in place. To be safe I'm just not going to use the hatch.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA