2004 Mercury Mountaineer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Mountaineer:

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Feb 182007

Mountaineer 8-cyl

Brake pedal rubber cover came off during braking. Foot slipped to accelerator causing car to learch forward hitting rear of parked car and causing damage to that car.

- Scarborough, ME, USA

Sep 212004

Mountaineer 6-cyl

I purchased a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer V6 in April, 2004. I immediately started to notice a harsh jerk when putting the car in reverse and sometimes while driving forward. It sometimes felt like driving a 5-speed vehicle. In late September, 04 while backing out of my driveway, me and my 13 yr old daughter experienced a very harsh jerk as if someone had slammed in the back of the car. We were both shaken. I started to experience neck problems. I made my first dr. Appt. In early to mid October 2004 and was told that my vertabre was out of place. When the recall notice came in February 2005 (I believe) to me, I took my car to be repaired and I was told that it would take at least 4 hours to fix. It actually took the dealship 3 days to fix it. The auto technician told me that my car was worse off than others that he'd seen before with the same problem and additonal parts had to be ordered. My car is working okay now that it has been fixed. On the other hand, I have been to the doctor several times with this neck injury. I have had X-rays, mri and ultra sound completed. The jerking of my vehicle has caused injury to the #2 vertabre in my neck. I experience head aches, severe neck pain, and shoulder and back pain. I have been to physical therapy- recommended by my doctor and to the chiropractor. I have a very hard time sleeping and working due to this pain. I called Ford Motor Company to alarm them of my injury due to the defective transmission in the vehicle that they manufactured. The individual that I spoke with was very rude, non- caring of my injury and spoke to me in a negative tone. I was told that there were no medical provisions on this particular recall. To this day, I am still in constant pain. I have suffered long enough and I feel that it is time for Ford Motor Company to own up to the rresponsibility that their defective vehicle has caused an injury.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 112005

Mountaineer 6-cyl

While driving our 2004 Mercury Mountaineer, all of the sudden it will stall and a light will come on showing "engine fail safe mode". there is no power at all and the car needs a few minutes before starting up again. This has happened 3 times now and all in traffic. We have had to pray that we would not be hit or worse yet, killed. We have taken it to the dealerdhip twice now (the 1st time they said it was bad gas and sent us on our way) and all they can say the last two times is "we can't duplicate the problem". this is very unsafe and we are very afraid to drive this vehicle.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA