1.6

2005 Mercury Mountaineer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Mountaineer:

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Oct 012015

Mountaineer

While driving 50 mph vehicle stalled three times. Took it to a garage, was told it was necessary to have the vehicle when it stalled. Found eleven (11) similar complaints on your site! perhaps there is some validity to the complaints. All parts of the vehicle related to safe driving were rendered useless. Sounds like a safety issue to me!

- Indiana, PA, USA

May 102010

Mountaineer

My transmission went only after 1 year of having car, spend ofver $3,000 for a new transmission and now the transmission is going again. This is unacceptable. I don't even drive that much.

- Greenfield Park, NY, USA

Jun 242015

Mountaineer

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000. The VIN was not available....updated 07/30/15

- Indiana, PA, USA

Oct 052014

Mountaineer 8-cyl

As I was driving the vehicle just died; all the warning lights came on and as I was losing speed I pulled over to curb the best I could. Restarted car and it seemed to run fine but happened again 20 minutes later. This has also happened 2 other times within the last 10,000 miles of driving.

- Ofallon , MO, USA

Jul 032014

Mountaineer

The engine has shut off twice while driving using cruise control. The first time I was able to get to the side of road and restart it.. the second time I put it in neutral and restarted it while moving. I am afraid to use the cruise control now - if there had been oncoming traffic we would've had a head-on collision as I was on a corner and went into the other lane. When the engine shuts off, the power steering is gone leaving it very difficult to turn.

- Federal Way, WA, USA