2005 Mercury Mountaineer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Mountaineer:

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Jun 012010

I own a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer premier SUV. Last summer I noticed that one of the bolts on liftgate is broken. I went back to the dealer where I purchased the truck and although this is a common problem with this truck it was not recalled for the 2005 year. They wanted to charge me $600 for repair.I found that to be an unacceptable response considering Ford has been aware that the bolts are inferior. I researched to find that many consumers have the same complaint.add to it that this week the "crack" appeared beneath the glass on the liftgate near the emblem(evidently another flaw with this truck widely reported by other vehicle owners). At this point it is evident to me that the liftgate needs to be replaced by Ford at their expense.I chose this truck for safety for my five children and now feel it is unsafe to Transport them with this liftgate falling apart. The repsonse from Ford customer service stated this year was not recalled for the faulty liftgate problem and the expense to replace is mine.slowly the liftgate bolts and the liftgate are breaking rendering me unable to utilize it. How do I know the glass is safe even if I hit a bump? please advise.

- Warren, RI, USA

May 152008

Vehicle paint peeling from front hood. Mercury dealer (northgate Lincoln Mercury, tampa, Florida) at first said a rock hit it. Another service person said its a defect. They only want to cover half the cost of getting hood painted. Vehicle bought new from the dealer. Tsb issued by Ford concerning the issue. Dealer overestimated estimate to repaint hood ($1000 dollars) wants me to pay a lost $500 dollars for a defect they know about.

- Tampa, FL, USA