2007 Mercury Mountaineer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mercury Mountaineer:

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Jan 152015

Mountaineer

Seat moved back for "easy exit" all vehicle components shut off and vehicle brakes locked up in the road then cut back on by itself and transmission jerked into gear like someone rear ended us! very scary and unsafe with my 10 month old in the vehicle!

- Covington , VA, USA

Jul 282014

Mountaineer 6-cyl

First off when I bought the vehicle the rear wiper does not work. Secondly when you put the vehicle in reverse it jolts before going into reverse. Finally it only let's you put so much of fuel into the gas tank at a time before stopping the fuel flow into the gas tank.

- Tamaqua, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Mountaineer 8-cyl

Vehicle will not shift out of park. Shift is locked into park and will not shift to any gear and depressing lever button and brake will not release out of park. I purchased the vehicle from huntington Ford in rochester hill and bought the extended warranty and was told by Ford service department this is not covered and would cost $500 just for the part. After researching this problem I have noticed other complaints about this issue that the car will not move out of park. This seems like it may be a defect because I have never experienced this problem out of many vehicles I have owned for years.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Oct 012013

Mountaineer

2007 Mercury Mountaineer. Consumer writes in regards to acceleration and console lighting issues and problems with back windshield wipers.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 152013

Mountaineer 6-cyl

Apparently there have been a lot of issues with the thermostat housing leaking fluid into the electrical system causing it to short out. I was driving, went to take off in rush hour traffic and they vehicle wouldn't go because the leak and ruined a part of the electrical system and the gears would shift. It was almost like the transmission had gone out. I have read several accounts where this has happened to tons of <09 Mountaineer and Explorer. Tsb 09-22-15 came out about this issue. I was driving with my infant daughter and we could have been injured very badly. Something needs to be done about this. It has been identified and apparenlty affects people's cars and their ability to accelerate. Very dangerous.

- Brandenburg, KY, USA

Feb 192010

Mountaineer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift out of park. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was determined that the gear shifter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the shift cable failed during one of the occurrences. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 43,236. Updated 09/18/13 the consumer stated when she started the vehicle, the gear shift moved freely and would not engage any gear. The vehicle was towed by a flatbed. It was determined the gear shift lever circuit board needed to be replaced. On July 3, 2012, the gear shift became stuck in park. Again, the vehicle had to be towed. The technician found the shift cable off and the shifter was not working properly. The shifter was replaced. One month later, the gear shift became stuck in park again, and was towed for a third time. However, upon arrival it was not stuck in park anymore. She was informed that the slight incline of the driveway where it was parked may have caused the weight of the vehicle to sit on the park ball causing the gear to hold the shifter. The repair shop recommended the consumer activate the emergency brake, at all times. On June 10, 2013. The vehicle became stuck in park again. The consumer called the repair shop, and someone came out to her house. Once the technician rocked the vehicle back and fourth, it came out of park. The consumer went to a transmission shop, where she was informed the angle of the lever had been modified 24 times, the rod and pawl had been modified 12 times. Update 09/26/13

- Port Jefferson Station, NY, USA

Nov 202012

Mountaineer

While on the freeway my car started to loose power. I would push on the gas and the car would not accelerate. Since the first time this has happened on numerous occasions. And have taken it to many mechanics which finds out nothing is wrong of course. Finally I find out this is a throttle position sensor made by Ford. And there has been many Ford cars and parts experiencing this same thing. This is definitely a safety hazard so why has for not recalled this" do people have to start dying before they do something"

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Feb 012012

Mountaineer 8-cyl

When traveling in "overdrive", upon acceleration, the transmission will buck, violently depending how hard you press on the pedal. The only time this will not happen is if you control the vehicle speed with the cruise control. I haven, T had it go to the dealer as of yet for inspection, so there are no conclusions as of yet as to what may be wrong.

- Hampton, NJ, USA

Sep 032012

Mountaineer

We bought the car 2 years ago and a few months after we have purchased it, it started to act up. When we pull the shift gear to reversed, it jerks real bad as if we were rear ended. A few times, the shift gear would be stuck. We could not pull the shifter down to reverse from park. It normally takes us an hour so to do it but tonight, it was worst. We were stuck on park...finally after an hour, we were able to pull it from park and onto reverse from the garage. Only this time reverse was park, neutral was reverse, drive was neutral and 3 was drive. It was so frustrating....and to top that off, my husband and I both got into a heated argument over this stupid car!! we still cannot get it fixed because we don't have the money!!!

- Westminster, CO, USA

Mar 022009

Mountaineer 6-cyl

My transmission jerks as I accelerate during travel. To me it's getting worse. I have had it looked at. No codes are showing that I have a problem. But clearly something is wrong. I have done this several times, still no codes to indicate anything is wrong with my vehicle. Also my gas sensors are shot. Engine light goes in and out. My vehicle has stopped in the middle of atlanta traffic, causing problems of other vehicles traveling in the direction that I am with children. I also have the problem with backing my vehicle, it jerks before backing.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Jul 052011

Mountaineer

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer. The contact was driving approximately 50 mph when a vibration was felt and the transmission began to slip gears. The failure appeared to occur more frequently in warm weather temperatures. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but the technician was unable to duplicate the problem. In addition, the instrument panel and gauges would illuminate intermittently as a result of defective pixels. The front driver's side power seat would move backward and forward freely while the vehicle was in motion. The contact would shut off the vehicle and once restarted, the failures would correct independently until later recurring without warning. In addition, the headlights failed intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired for the failures. The manufacturer was notified of the defects. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Pilot Mountain , NC, USA

Apr 162007

Mountaineer 6-cyl

I turn my 2007 Mountaineer AWD on and it accelerates, so I let it stop idling high and if it doesn't totally shut off I then proceed to put my truck either in drive or reverse and it jerks very hard. I have already hit my garage because I was not able to stop the vehicle. I already took it to Ford and they told me that the engine light is not on so they can't do anything about it. They little wrench symbol is on though. I am so scared that I am going to end up killing someone. I wish I could afford to not drive my truck around but it is my only transportation. I have to drive my 4 kids with me and it concerns me. Some one please help, from what I see is another Toyota disaster waiting to happen.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Sep 022009

Mountaineer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer. Immediately after the vehicle was turned on without warning, it accelerated and crashed into a store. The police gave her a ticket for careless driving. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer. She was not informed of the repairs that were made to the vehicle. The contact has had problems with the vehicle since she purchased it. Prior to the failure, whenever she engaged the brake pedal the vehicle accelerated without warning; however, the dealer stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed per the insurance company. The contact was always concerned about the safety risk and defect in the vehicle. The failure and current mileages were 30000. Updated 11/04/09. The consumer stated the vehicle made a noise when the gear was placed in reverse. Updated 11/05/09

- Belleville, MI, USA

Aug 252009

Mountaineer

Vehicle's transmission "clunks" or hard shifts, when slowing down and coming to a stop, or at low speeds. Surges at stop lights, or will hesitate when the gas pedal is pushed. This has been an ongoing problem since I purchased the vehicle in 1997. I have taken it back to the dealer numerous times, and they tell me that 1. nothing is wrong with the transmission or 2. they have downloaded a new program for the computer. I know there is something wrong, but no one will fix this. Now it's 4000 miles over warranty, and the problem is getting worse. Sooner or later this will cause an accident.

- Bloomfield, NY, USA