1998 Mercury Sable engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Mercury Sable:

1998 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

Apr 012000

Sable 3.0L

If I drive the car about 15 min from my home, turn it off, then start it up again and drive another 15 min somewhere and turn it off, when I try to restart the car it will not start for a little while. When it does start it shakes. I have had a new starter wire, one shop said was the problem, and it was not. I had a tune-up by the dealership. That did not help. There is no obvious reason for this problem. I feel the car just runs too hot, and that may be the cause.

- , Albany, NY, USA

Dec 042008

Sable GS V6

Well i have a 1998 Mercury sable and it was a very good car up until it started shaking and not wanted to move or go anywhere. Then this morning i got up to drive it to school and there was very dark smoke coming out of my tail pipes and that has never happened before. I am a teenager that needs a good running car with me driving it to school and to work. I got this car from my grandmother and it was running fine up until it hit about 100,000 miles after that i just started having problems with it. I love this car but if the cost are going to be pricey i cant afford it!!!!!!!!! But the engine is one thing that I am having the most problems with!!!!!!!

- , Pleasant Hill, IA, USA

Oct 262004

My car will not start in the first try.. I have to keep turning the key and pressing on the gas to get the car started.. at least 5 times I have to do this... now ... my car is doing the same thing it will turn over as I let go of the gas pedal the engine would stop.. the battery and oil light will come on.. wait for a minute and turn the key.. and the same thing will happen.. now the car shakes.. what is wrong with my car??

- , Waterford, MI, USA