2001 Mercury Sable engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mercury Sable:

2001 Mercury Sable Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 052011

Sable

I was driving my 2001 Sable (24V DOHC) and the car began acting like the gas pedal was stuck. I could lift the pedal up with my toe and that did not stop the acceleration. I shifted into neutral and turned the car off and coasted into a parking lot. When I restarted the car the engine was racing. I opened the hood and found the problem to be "a broken (plastic) retainer ring at the end of the cruise control cable by the throttle body" as someone else described it better than I could in technical details. I could reset the cable and seemed to be fine unless I accelerated too quickly, because that seemed to what triggered it to get stuck. I could still go fast (interstate speed), but I could not go fast too quickly. I temporarily fixed the problem by taping the broken cable with duct tape or electrical tape which seemed to work for a couple months. I experienced the problem about 10 times in a four month period before trading the vehicle to a dealer. Due to the recent recall of the later models tauruses I thought I should report the issues I had. I never informed the manufacturer about this and I never took it to a professional for diagnosis.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 192011

Sable

The contact owns a 2001 Mercury Sable. While merging onto a highway, the accelerator pedal began to stick. The contact pushed the brake pedal and then proceeded to tap on the accelerator which stopped the pedal from sticking again. The dealer and manufacturer were notified of the failure, but did not diagnose the failure. The failure was not repaired. The failure mileage was 71,989 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Mineola, NY, USA

Jan 072007

Sable

My wife was driving her 2001 Mercury Sable and when she took her foot off of the accelerator the car continued to accelerate at a high rate of speed. She didn't drive the car for a year. I took the car to the dealer and a couple of garages and nobody could find the problem. I finnaly tried to fix it myself and found the problem to be a broken retainer ring at the end of the cruise control cable by the trottle body. I never replaced the retainer due to fear it would break again and maybe cause an accident. I tied the cable back with a tie wrap. I did call and report this incident, but never heard anything. Now with all the new recalls I wanted to report it again. Thank you.

- Batavia, IL, USA

Apr 192001

Sable 6-cyl

My wife purchased a 2001 Mercury Sable ls on 1/31/01, I drove the auto for 2 days, when I put the auto in gear the gas pedal reacted as though the pedal was pushed to the floor board. I called port motors and told them about the situation and told them I refused to drive the auto. The next day they came and towed the auto away. When I went to the dealer they gave me another auto, for which I still have the old VIN #. after driving the new auto they gave I began having the same problems. Over the past 8 years the accelerator problem has occurred about 9 or 10 times. When I put the car in gear I always make sure my foot is always on the brake as I fear the auto will accelerate as though the pedal goes to the floor, my wife refuses to drive this auto and I will not let anyone drive as I don't know when this racing will occur. I have reported this to Ford motor but got know positive response, I also reported this to national safety board and they gave me a complaint #.

- East Meadow, NY, USA

Feb 012001

Sable 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Mercury Sable. The contact stated that when putting the vehicle in gear, the vehicle would start to "race" and the engine would rev as if someone put the pedal to the floor board; if he did not have his foot on the brake pedal, the vehicle would lunge forward. He depressed the brake pedal, shifted into neutral and turned off the vehicle. When he re-started it, the problem seemed to correct itself. The failure has occurred approximately 12 times since the vehicle was purchased. He previously owned the identical failure which had the same problem. When he towed the vehicle to the dealership, the dealer gave him this vehicle (same year, make and model). He had not taken this vehicle to the dealership and had not called the manufacturer to-date. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was approximately 37,000. The failure mileage was approximately 1,000. Updated 03/26/10. Updated 05/17/10.

- East Meadow, NY, USA

Nov 212006

Sable 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 15 mph under normal road conditions, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. There were no warnings prior to the incident. The vehicle was taken to the service dealer, who could not duplicate the problem.

- Batavia, IL, USA

Jul 092005

Sable 6-cyl

The contact states on occasion when he puts on the brakes instead of braking the car will accelerate and the engine will rev. Has to stomp on the brakes, turn off the ignition and/or put the car in neutral to get it to stop. The contact noticed this just after purchasing the car in June. It has gotten progressively worse. Vehicle is a 2001 Mercury Sable. The dealer cannot duplicate the problem. He has not talked to the manufacturer. The cigarette lighter was inoperative, the fuse was replaced.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Apr 262005

Sable 6-cyl

Car accelerated without warning three different times while driving, once to consumer, and twice to her sister. When she hit the brakes they did not hold. Her sister had to throw the car into reverse to get the car to stop. They almost had a crash all three times, she never knew when it was going to happen until it happened. Dealer said they could not help unless it happened while they were driving the car. Manufacturer said the same thing.

- West Warrick, RI, USA

Apr 112003

Sable

When the gear was switched from park to reverse, the vehicle lurched forward and almost caused an accident...

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 252002

Sable

The steering wheel vibrated while in idle, the structure of the vehicle rocked back and forth or from side to side. Vehicle also picked up speed on its own without pressing the accelerator.

- Camden, NJ, USA

Jul 262002

Sable

When applying brakes vehicle accelerated forward resulting in a collision. Dealer has been notified.

- Pembroke Pine, FL, USA

Jan 102002

Sable

Electrical system shut down, loses all power. The auto has accelerated on numerous occasions while stopped in traffic. Teh air conditioner shut down while traveling, twice the vehicle experienced complete electrical shut down, on one occasion requiring the vehicle to be towed. Consumer is requesting a vehicle replacement and for the failures to be recalled.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Sep 122001

Sable

When at a complete stop vehicle will suddenly accelerate without applying gas. A/C shut down while traveling. Consumer unable to start the vehicle, the wipers, A/C and blinkers failed due to electrical system failure.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Nov 302001

Sable

While at stop brakes applied, vehicle surged forward. Consumer shifted to park to stop vehicle. Dealer reprogrammed power module. Vehicle surged again at a stop on 20 Mar 2002, dealer found no problem.ak

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sep 152001

Sable

Vehicle would accelerate on its own at slow speeds, this happened 5 times. Vehicle taken to dealer 2 or 3 times. Dealer could not find a problem. Then on September 15, 2001 while parking vehicle accelerated. Consumer applied brakes, but was not able to stop vehicle, resulting in vehicle running into building. Consumer suffered headaches, amount of damage was $ 7000.

- Wingo, KY, USA

Aug 042001

Sable

Before consumer's wife could take foot off the brake, and after shifting from park to drive, vehicle suddenly accelerated and went 30 feet before hitting a building. Consumer bruised, but otherwise not seriously injured. Manufacturer is stating that accident was caused not caused by a defect in the vehicle.

- Huntington Woods, MI, USA

Feb 092001

Sable

While at a stop light engine started to rev. Then consumer crashed into another car. Recently, authorized mechanic's foot accidentally engaged the gas pedal while applying the brake pedal and drove consumer's vehicle into a work bench causing extensive damage to the vehicle. The gas pedal and brake pedal are too close together and are a dangerous safety hazard. This problem was a design defect. Consumer has experienced 3 accidents due to the design of the gas and brake pedal. By inspected dealership and dept. Of highway administration, the brake and gas pedal assemblies were replaced.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Mar 192001

Sable

When braking vehicle would suddenly accelerate. Vehicle was a rental.

- New York, NY, USA

Mar 102000

Sable

While driving, consumer tried to move the front seat back by using what he thought was the power seat adjustment switch on the left side of the driver's seat, however the consumer really was adjusting an electric pedal adjustment switch that moved brake and gas pedal closer to consumer causing sudden acceleration, consumer states that these two switches should not be located near each other and that the pedal switch should only be able to be used while in park.

- Winnetka, IL, USA