2002 Mercury Sable fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Sable:

2002 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

Apr 152016

Sable

rapid acceleration without warning

I was driving on the highway when my car suddenly accelerated without warning. I tried using the brake without success. The car was got up over 85 in heavy traffic so I took it onto a side road. By that point, the brake wouldn't even slow the car. I went through a stoplight and stop sign still trying to control the vehicle. I pulled into a restaurant parking space but the car just kept going, driving over the concrete parking stop, through a yard, and back onto the road. The only way I could stop it was to throw the car into park which caused a terrible revving of the engine and smoke under the hood.

I found a "recall" listed on the computer for this exact same problem experienced by over 329,000 people so I called the manufacturer who refused to do anything. They claim that recalls are issued based on VN# and my particular VIN wasn't on the list. I don't know if I can afford to get my car fixed, and I'm not sure I feel safe getting behind the wheel again even if I do. Really disappointed that Ford won't stand behind their products any more than this. They recommended that I get the car fixed and hold on to the receipts in case they come up with a recall at a later date!

Update from Apr 22, 2016: problem is related to a cruise control clip. The incident caused me to destroy the brakes. Total repair cost is around $450

- , Fairland, IN, USA