2002 Mercury Sable suspension NHTSA complaints: Suspension:Rear

NHTSA — Suspension: Rear Problems

2.1

2002 Mercury Sable suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Sable:

2002 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

Mar 132009

Sable 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Mercury Sable. While the vehicle was undergoing a state inspection, the contact was informed that the rear coil springs failed. He heard a rattling noise coming from the rear of the vehicle prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they confirmed the rear coil spring failure. The coil springs, stabilizer mounts, and two stabilizers were replaced at the cost of $1,198. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 73,000 and current mileage was 73,010. Updated 04-14-09 updated 04/16/09.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

Feb 272009

Sable

02 Mercury Sable has broken rear spring that caused the tire to explode. It is going to cost $450 to have repaired plus a new tire. After reading numerous other complaints about the same, I am afraid this may also happen on the front end. The care only has 70,000 miles and there is no sign on rust.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Dec 242008

Sable

In mid-December 2008 I purchased 4 new tires for my 2002 Mercury Sable. On December 24, 2008 while driving home I had a catastrophic failure of my rear passenger tire. When the tire was pulled, it was determined that the rear coil spring had broken, puncturing the tire. I found the following on a website: "the Office Of Defects Investigation (ODI) has received 355 complaints from consumers residing in "salt belt" states that allege front suspension coil spring fracture in the subject vehicles. (note: For purposes of this investigation, the "salt belt" includes Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia and Wisconsin).approximately 72% of the complainants allege the broken coil spring punctured the adjacent tire. Resulting in loss of inflation pressure. ODI is aware of 3 alleged crashes related to the alleged defect resulting in one person injured.the subject vehicles are substantially similar to those previously investigated by ODI (PE02-080 and PE04-044) and recalled by Ford (NHTSA recall no. 04V-332).an engineering analysis has been opened to assess the frequency, scope and safety consequences of the alleged defect." I would appreciate it if someone could review this complaint.

- Scotia, NY, USA

Jan 122009

Sable

Had a catastrophic blowout on rear tire. This was caused by the failure of the coil spring on the left strut. I was able to get home and my local mechanic replaced both rear struts. The cost was more than a weeks pay.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

May 152007

Sable

3 of 4 springs broke on Sable at a hotel in Indiana. 2 rear springs and 1 front spring. Vehicle was not moving. Repair included 2 tires, 1 rear strut, one front steering bar and all four springs also required rental vehicle for 1 week, and an additional trip to indianapolis to get the repaired vehicle.

- Davisburg, MI, USA

Nov 272008

Sable

Had normal tire maintenance (rotation), was advised both rear coil springs on my 2002 Mercury Sable were broken and would need replacement. Mechanic indicated this was a common problem with the 2002 Sable and Taurus models. With spring replacement, also had to replace the shocks/struts and control bars to the anti sway. Total price of repairs was $624 searching on the internet, found this problem is common among other 2002 Sable/Taurus owners.

- Grosse Point Woods, MI, USA

Aug 062008

Sable

While having tires rotated at sam's club, the technician notified me that both rear springs were broken.

- Cold Spring, MN, USA

Oct 022008

Sable

I took my 2002 Mercury Sable sedan in to the dealer to have the oil changed and the front left tire checked. When I called to pick up the car, I was told that the left front inner tie rods were loose and that the rear coils/springs were all broken. There are only 76,600 miles on the car. We are the only owners. The repair cost was nearly $1,000. This needs to be addressed by Ford. Very dangerous. And unheard of for a 6 yr old car with low mileage.

- Warren, RI, USA

Jun 012008

Sable

Earlier this year my front spring broke and put a hole in my tire - thank goodness I was not driving - I was just pulling out of my parking place at work. When we took it to the garage to have it fixed they mentioned that my back ones were also broken and needed replaced. The technician told me that this is common in these cars and that I should try to find out about the recall on these parts from Ford. I own a 2002 Mercury Sable. But apparently due to most of the reading I have been doing the recall only went until 2001. But I see that many many people with 2002 & 2003 cars are having the same issue.

- Middlefield, OH, USA

Sep 042008

Sable

2002 Mercury Sable with 51,000 miles - took car in for an oil change; dealer informed me that both rear coil springs were broke, almost touching the rear tires. Replaced those but then heard & felt thump in back; dealer said the strut was broke on the right rear & left rear was almost broke. Now both struts are being replaced. Told by dealer there were many complaints about the Sable front and rear springs but no recall as of yet for the rear. How can that be if so many people are having this problem? can this be researched - there are a lot of people being affected by this. I am a senior with limited income! I could have been in an accident! please help!!!!!

- Frankfort, IL, USA

Aug 022008

Sable

2002 Mercury Sable both rear coil springs in suspension are broken.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Aug 172008

Sable

2002 Mercury Sable. Rear springs and struts sagging causing low/unstable ride and crunching noise. Service attendant said condition could be dangerous and is common problem with Sable/Taurus.

- Delanco, NJ, USA

Jul 082008

Sable

Own a 2002 Mercury Sable sedan and on 2-11-08 had to replace both front coil spring/struts at a cost of aprox. $ 1200. Now on 7-9-08 we will have to replaced both the rear coil/spring assemblies. I know there is a recall up to 2001 for the front. Nothing for 2002.

- Corning, NY, USA

Jan 072008

Sable

Front coil springs went out in January 2008. Car had set for a few days and when attempted to drive car, the car had a flat tire. Upon inspection, the passenger side front coil spring had punctured the tire. The coil springs in the front were replaced and a new tire was bought. In March 2008, the driver's side left coil spring broke and rubbed a ring into the tire. Again, the back coil springs had to be replaced and a new tire bought.

- Fairmount, IN, USA

Jun 162008

Sable

The contact owns a 2002 Mercury Sable. On June 16, 2008, while the vehicle was being aligned, the contact discovered that both rear springs failed. He called the dealer and was informed that the total cost for the repair would be $500. The vehicle needed to be inspected and repaired. The manufacturer stated that there was no recall. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 89,000.

- James Town, NY, USA

Jun 062008

Sable 6-cyl

Regular driving. Both of the rear suspension coils snapped and the front coils appear to be on their way as well.

- Hartford, CT, USA

May 032008

Sable 6-cyl

Noise in rear suspension. Strut coil spring broke and rubbed hole in rear tire. Replaced rear struts and replaced tires.

- St. Henry, OH, USA