2002 Mercury Sable wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Sable:

2002 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

Dec 282009

Right front spring broke, puncturing the tire. Thankfully, we were just pulling out of the garage, not driving on the expressway at 70 mph.

- Irons, MI, USA

Jun 232008

I bought these tires and they only have a few thousand miles on them. They were 60,000 miles tires. With my alzheimer's husband under the care of hospice I went to run errands. I also recently bought 2 new front tires. When putting them on the told me they looked dry rotted and to take them back. Merchants tires has moved. It cost money to drive around trying to find where they moved to. Hospice only gives me 1 hr. Tell me how I am suppose to take care of this?

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 182008

Sable 6-cyl

2002 Mercury Sable. 40K miles. Front driver's side coil spring failed (broke) while backing car from driveway. Spring failure caused rupture of front driver's side tire. Spring caused the front wheel to lock up, disabling the vehicle. It was towed to dealership where the damaged tire and all 4 coil springs were replaced as a preventative measure. There did not appear to be any corrosion on the broken coil spring. The paint was intact, there was no evidence of pitting or bubbling, and the steel looked like a clean break.

- Romney, IN, USA

Aug 172007

Sable 6-cyl

Car not handling properly. Brakes squealing. Very poor gas mileage. Car riding lower in back. Sounded/felt like I was riding on a flat, tire pressure was down, but not badly (3 lbs). Took to mechanic for tuneup. Advised rear tire bad with flat spots. Purchased tires to be installed. When mechanic pulled tire/wheel to install, noticed rear spring was broken. Pulled tire/wheel from other side. It too, was broken. One break was new, the other older as ends were rusted over. There are rub marks and wear on the rubber covering over both springs as well as the coating coming off. I have the broken springs and have taken photos that show brakes and discoloration. Two (2) new tires, two (2) rear springs and alignment cost $614.68. I frequently have my grandchildren with me. Either one or both of them could have been severely injured has the pieces come through the seats.

- Newark, DE, USA

Mar 142007

Sable 6-cyl

- while backing out of the driveway at 5 mph in the 2002 Mercury Sable the front passenger side tire went flat when the coil spring snapped, causing the sharp end of the spring to puncture the inside wall of the front tire. Failure mileage was at 74,236 miles.

- Oneida, NY, USA

Jan 262006

Sable 6-cyl

On Thursday, January 26th, I was driving home and had a flat on the front driver's side tire. I replaced the tire. Two weeks later on Friday, February 10 I had another flat (rear passenger) tire. Both of these tires were Continental touring contact as P215 S60/16. My concern is whether or not there was a recall on these tires. I have 2 more left. I purchased the car from carmax in richmond, va in July 2005 (2002 Mercury Sable ls). Currently there are 39,981 miles on the car.

- Farmville, VA, USA