2.1

hardy worth mentioning

2003 Mercury Sable engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercury Sable:

2003 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

Nov 092008

Sable 6-cyl

Stuck throttle and the car speeds up... updated 08/19/13 the consumer stated the incident happened multiple times.

- Pompton Lakes, NJ, USA

May 072013

Sable

The speed control cable collar broke, leaving the throttle stuck open at about 27%. this caused the vehicle to accelerate on it's own, and required extra effort to stop the vehicle. I have a receipt for the repair made by pepboys.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 172012

Sable 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Mercury Sable. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph and releasing the accelerator, the vehicle continued to accelerate independently. The contact shifted into neutral and the engine rpms increased excessively. There was also a loud bang heard from the engine area. The contact replaced all of the sensors, the lower intake and the mass flow device, but the repairs did not correct the problem. The contact stated that the throttle cable would become stuck, causing the vehicle to accelerate independently. The failure mileage was 154,000 and the current mileage was 161,000.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Oct 082012

Sable 6-cyl

I was driving my car and while I was braking for a stop light I couldn't stop. Something was giving my car gas as I was trying to stop. Ever since then when I drive it my RPM's are high and makes a noise. I called the shop and had my idle air control valve replaced because that's what the automotive place said was wrong. Since then it's been in 3 other times and had the part replaced just in case it was a faulty part. Now the mechanics are baffled as am I. I did research and noticed this was a common complaint on these vehicles. I just took it in again today December 6,2012 and we can't figure out the problem. It's getting worse to where I can't really drive it because when I go to brake it won't stop. I can be at a complete stop and not touch the gas and my car will get up to 45mph without me even touching the gas pedal.

- Osceola, IN, USA

Oct 202012

Sable

The contact owns a 2003 Mercury Sable. The contact stated that while traveling 5 mph she attempted to enter a parking space when the throttle seized in the open position. The contact was able to stop the vehicle by firmly depressing the brakes. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic or dealer, and was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were not available.

- Carroll, IA, USA

Oct 302012

Sable 6-cyl

When I accelerated my vehicle the throttle stuck in the open position. My car accelerated to over 40mph in a residential zone. I put the car in neutral and the engine revved up to the cutout RPM limit. I immediately shut the vehicle off. When I opened the hood to inspect the problem I saw that the plastic collar holding the cable in place broke off, causing the entire cable to move freely. One piece of the cable was stuck outside of the collar causing the throttle to engage without the accelerator pedal being pushed.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Jun 062012

Sable

Driving on I-25 northbound, at 50 mph, the vehicle started to accelerate, with my foot off the accelerator. Went from 50 to 65...stepped on brake, brakes slowed/stopped the acceleration...pulled off at the first exit ramp. Looked under hood, for anything not correct...nothing visually detected. Did this one more time...3 days later. Have not experienced since.

- Centennial, CO, USA

May 012012

Sable 6-cyl

I was driving about 35 mph and let up on the gas when I realized I was in a 30 mph zone. I drove about five more blocks without touching the throttle and the car never slowed until I applied the brakes due to coming to a stoplight. This was on level ground. Since then the car will not slow down without using the brakes. I have driven over 5 miles at one time at 60 mph without the car slowing to less than 58 mph. When I take it out of gear to help me slow down the engine revs up and then very slowly idles down. Occasionally the engine will slow and then die when sitting at stop lights. My brakes were worked on 3 months ago but are feeling like they need to be repaired due to shaking when I have to brake hard to stop the car.

- Desmoines, IA, USA

May 292012

Sable

The contact owns a 2003 Mercury Sable. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle surged forward until the contact applied the brakes. The contact stopped and shut off the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent repair shop and the contact was informed that the cruise control cable was fractured. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Feb 162012

Sable

The contact owns a 2003 Mercury Sable. The contact stated that the vehicle maintained a speed of 50 mph when the accelerator pedal was not being depressed. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop. The repair shop stated that the cruise control cable needed to be replaced, along with the throttle case assembly. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 177,400 and the current mileage was 192,431.

- Ionia, MI, USA

Sep 302002

Sable 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Mercury Sable. The contact stated that the vehicle would involuntarily accelerate while at complete stops. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they stated that the failure was due to a sensor that could not be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 1,000 and the current mileage was 65,000. Updated 04/10/12 the consumer stated when the engine was started, it would run at a high rate above idle. It would continue until the engine warmed up. The consumer stated the idle speed can not be regulated. Updated 04/13/12

- Camton, OH, USA

Sep 102011

Sable 6-cyl

I was driving when I realized that my car was going much faster than it should be. I was going up a hill so I moved both of my feet away from the pedals and realized that it was still gaining speed. I pressed hard on the brakes and managed to bring it mostly to a stop about 80 feet from an intersection and another car. I put it into park, but still had to hold the brake down hard in order to keep the car from rolling forward. When the light changed, I put the car in drive and it "peeled out" and was almost impossible to control. I hit the brakes hard, turned at the intersection then into a vacant parking lot. I put it in park immediately and shut it off. I tried to restart the car and the engine immediately went to 5000 RPM, so I shut it off again and had it towed to my local dealership. The car was definitely accelerating without any input on my part. The brakes were able to slow it down, but only with full pressure and it took much further than it should have to come to a stop. I was driving a 2003 Mercury Sable.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jan 032008

Sable

The contact owns a 2003 Mercury Sable. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated beyond 7 rpms when she depressed the accelerator. She stated that she had to depress the brake extremely hard then shut off the vehicle before it would stop. In addition, she stated that she lost control of the vehicle. The dealer stated that the cruise control cable caused the failure. They disconnected the cruise control. As of May 19, 2008, the dealer had not repaired the vehicle. The contact stated that she noticed an oil leak. The mechanic the oil seal pan needed to be replaced. The mechanic replaced the oil pan seal and there had been no further occurrences. The failure mileage was 35,850 and current mileage was 36850.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Jul 182007

Sable 6-cyl

The car has a throttle over run problem. When I lift my foot off the gas and the apply brakes, it feels as if the engine is not returning to idle completely. The brakes are in good condition. I have had numerous close calls with rearend collisions. The dealer never found a problem.

- Winston, GA, USA

Jun 152005

Sable 6-cyl

Dt the consumer had difficulty stopping the vehicle. When the consumer attpemted to stop, the engine started to race. Dealer replaced iac valve assembly.

- Glens Falls, NY, USA

Mar 082005

Sable 6-cyl

While turning right into a parking space with my foot on the brake the vehicle suddennly accelerated, jumped a concrete wheel barrier and scraped a post. I took it to the dealer the next day. The could not duplicate the problem.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Feb 142005

Sable 4-cyl

While applying the brake pedal, the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably. The driver was able to maintain control of the vehicle and pulled over. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The mechanic can not duplicate the problem at this time.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA