2002 Mini Cooper electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mini Cooper:

2002 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Dec 152008

Cooper

Purchased a used 2002 MINICooper about 3 1/2 yrs ago w/ about 12K miles. At around 15-17K miles the transmission basically exploded while I was on the highway. I was told that there was a crack in the transmission. MINIreplaced it with I'm guessing a rebuilt transmission. At the time of the repair I asked them if they were putting in a new clutch and they said no, which I found strange. Now at 60K miles the clutch is basically done. When the car is cold it shifts pretty normally, but after 15-25 minutes of driving the first two gears become hard to engage and they slip. This is not my first five speed and I'm shocked that this clutch is done after such little mileage. Should they have replaced the clutch when they replaced the transmission? I'm not a mechanic but to lose a clutch at 60K miles doesn't make any sense. My driving habits are pretty normal. I'm not lighting up the tires at traffic lights or racing people. This is an everyday car mostly used on the highway. I'm bringing the car in to have it looked at the MINIservice center in freeport NY on 12/29/08. Also had a problem with overheating about 4 months after car was purchased. And air bag light stays lit. Have had this problem corrected once or twice. But the light still stays lit.

- Long Beach, NY, USA

Jan 162008

Cooper 4-cyl

I was driving my 2002 MINICooper. I had driven 1/4 mile and thought I heard something crack or spark under the dashboard on the passenger side of the vehicle. Then I saw smoke, pulled over, got out, and the whole car went up in flames.

- Fort Benning, GA, USA

Sep 282007

Cooper

Significant and repeated electrical failures caused the car to randomly switch into eml mode, reducing engine output critically. When this happened on a highway there was not enough power to remove the car from the road safely. After several ineffectual repairs, the wiring harness was replaced. Shortly after the repair, the car was parked, emergency brake set, manual transmission set in first gear. Unattended, turned off with no key in the ignition, the car moved itself several feet, hitting another car, burning out the starter and draining the battery. The car was moved to a repair shop where the starter was replaced. Overnight, with the car parking inside the locked shop, the car moved itself across the shop. Mechanics are now investigating the problem.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Feb 142003

Cooper

2003 MINICooper cvt. Vehicle stalls in traffic conditions. Boggs down, lunges upon acceleration. Power failure. No indicator lights on dash warn of problem. Vehicle has been serviced on three occasions for same problems. Boggs down and lunges corrected by reprogramming on first service. After first service vehicle stalled again in traffic conditions. Returned to service dept. Who were unable to replicate stalling after 400 miles of test driving it. Contacted MINIdivision of BMW of America. They sent technical specialist who checked the electrical system, no apparent cause. MINIrepresentative is currently having electrical harness replaced. Vehicle out of service for 6 weeks and counting. Major safety concern.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Apr 182003

Cooper

The vehicles rear hatch is electronic and if the vehicles battery died there would be not way to into the battery compartment. The dealer was notified.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Aug 092002

Cooper

The head light failed twice, the dealer replaced the module and then the computer chip.

- Winchester, VA, USA