2002 Mini Cooper steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mini Cooper:

2002 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Mar 302011

Cooper

A fire was caused by the failure of the power steering cooling fan. At some point the day of the incident the fan seized and the resulting electrical resistance in the main wiring harness caused the wiring harness to heat to a point of melting some of the plastic wire insulation allowing for direct wire to wire contact and resulted in an electrical fire between the engine and the passenger compartment. The resulting fire completely disabled the vehicle's electrical system and requires at minimum the replacement of the entire main wiring harness. Event description after a short drive (less than 2 miles on a cold engine) the vehicle was parked. After the engine was turned off smoke was seen rising from the vehicle engine compartment. Upon raising the hood, flames were seen between the engine and the passenger compartment reflecting off both fire walls. 2 fire extinguishers were required to put out the flames after the battery was disconnected. Total loss of the vehicle to fire was prevented by the owners actions.

- Lake Balboa, CA, USA

Apr 042010

Cooper 4-cyl

Problems with the electronic power steering, it work intermittent, almost got to a accident.

- Isabela, PR, USA

Apr 032011

Cooper 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 MINICooper. While driving approximately 25 mph and attempting to make a left or right turn the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle will be taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The failure and the current mileage was 82,426. Updated 05/03/11 updated 05/16/11

- Enfeild , CT, USA

Mar 172011

Cooper 4-cyl

After picking my sister up from the train station I noticed a loss of power steering. Steering is now very difficult around corners and in city driving. No repairs made yet.

- Watchung, NJ, USA

Mar 082011

Cooper 4-cyl

I bought a 2002 MINICooper and while driving the power sterering quit working. I contacted a MINIrepair shop and found that the power steering pump is electric and it's relay or or one for it's cooling fan might have failed. They told me that it is very common and would cost over $1000. To fix it. Had I been in the wrong mode of driving this failure could have killed me.

- Soap Lake, WA, USA

Nov 152009

Cooper

The second power steering pump on my 2002 MINICooper S has failed. The first time when it happened I had loss of steering while doing a low speed turn and hit a curb.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Feb 132011

Cooper

2002 MINICooper S. power steering pump failure with 55K miles on the highway. Caused loss of powersteering making the car difficult to control. Upon stopping the power steering pump wouldn't go off and drained the cars battery. This is a well publicized problem on the web, yet MINIdenies any fault.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 082011

Cooper 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 MINICooper S. the contact stated while entering a residential garage driving 5 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the steering pump. There were no recalls for the failure. The manufacturer was contacted offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 51,000. Updated 03/08/11 the consumer stated the vehicle was extremely difficult to steer and if it failed in a turn, the vehicle would inevitably steer very wide from the intended course. Updated 03/09/11.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 302010

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering failure on my 2002 R50 MINICooper. The power steering would act up the previous couple oe weeks by then resume as if everything was fine. Then prior to first of the year, it just went out totally.

- Belding, MI, USA

Jan 172011

Cooper 4-cyl

I drive a 2002 MINICooper and at 9:50am this morning I drove my car about a mile to my optometrist appointment and all was well with my power steering. I was there for 45 minutes, left, and got in my car pulled out of my spot with no trouble at all, but about 20 feet away from my parking spot I went to turn onto a thoroughfare only to find that my power steering had failed. I had to wrench the steering wheel with much strength to avoid traffic and pulled over. I checked the steering fluid and there is plenty in there. I believe it is an electrical problem. The problem remains consistent after turning my car on and off. I've checked online to find that many others have had this same problem in their 2002 MINICoopers and yet no recall has been made.

- Martinez, CA, USA

Nov 292010

Cooper

Power steering failed in the middle of a curve in the road, resulting in a loss of control and nearly causing the car to go into a ditch. #20 the car is nearly impossible to steer without the power-assisted steering. #20 MINIusa denies any knowledge of this problem, yet there are in excess of 1,600 reports on one internet forum alone. #20 the british government has officially acknowledged this issue, and in europe BMW/MINIhas acted, but in the usa the company denies any awareness. #20 this failure could have cost me and my wife our lives if I were a less skilled driver who managed to force the car back onto the road.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Dec 092010

Cooper

Loss of power steering 2002 MINICooper S.

- Roxbury, MA, USA

Jul 102005

Cooper

The contact owns a 2002 MINICooper S. the contact was driving approximately 60 mph when there was a complete loss of power steering without warning. The contact pulled over to the side of the road with difficulty. The engine was turned off and restarted. The power steering became functional. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to duplicate the problem. The failure continued. The failure mileage and VIN were unavailable.

- West Sacramento , CA, USA

Oct 182010

Cooper

My 2002 MINICooper's power steering failed silently as I drove home from work a week ago, though was fine after restarting the car. Since then, it has started failing consistently. This leads to very dangerous driving conditions because I have no idea how hard I will have to turn on the wheel for any given turn and thus makes me highly susceptible for hitting a pedestrian or another car.. investigations imply that I have to replace the power steering pump, which cost $1000+. my car has roughly 36,000 miles on it.

- Menlo Park, CA, USA

Sep 302010

Cooper

2002 MINICooper power steering failure after power steering pump replaced. The car had no power steering within 700 miles of having the power steering pump and pump fan replaced and now am told it is the power steering pump cable.

- Trumbull, CT, USA

Aug 102010

Cooper 4-cyl

Intermediate power steering failure on 2002 MINICooper S. at first power steering would cut in and out when driving until it went dead completely but sometimes will resume function when you shut off car and restart. Steering is very hard when this occurs. Weeks passed with same symptoms then power steering pump will run constantly even with car shut off. To stop the pump from draining my battery I had to disconnect battery or remove the fuse that is connected to the powersteering pump. Now the car is operable without power steering but steering is rather hard.

- Woodhaven, NY, USA

Oct 102010

Cooper

I read last week about possible sudden loss of power steering associated with 04-05 MINImodels. I have an 02 MINICooper S and have had the same problem approx 6 times in the last 4 years. With no warning, the power steering will suddenly disappear. I can steer the car, but only with significant effort. My mechanic cannot find any problem. I have not had any accidents as a result of this. I'm not certain, but it appears this might happen more frequently when the road is wet.

- Sandy Springs, GA, USA

Dec 102009

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering failure caused hard steering and supreme scare. Prior intermittent on/off of power steering pump previous week. Had to replace pump and fan motor. Old pump is not available.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Apr 012010

Cooper 4-cyl

My 2002 MINICooper S had an incident approximately six months ago when I completely lost power steering while going a low rate of speed. I was able to muscle the steering for a couple of minutes until the power steering returned. This occurred once more but very briefly in front of my house some time later. I did not do anything about this problem either time but I saw a story in usa today on MINIsteering problems (29 Sept) and instantly recalled my problem. I am certain it is related to the MINIsteering issue now being investigated by the NHTSA.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Aug 242010

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering in my 2002 MINICooper failed. Steering vehicle became very difficult with little ability to turn vehicle. Repair required a new elec. Stg pump and cooling fan ($602) plus labor of $384 for a total of $986.

- Amagansett, NY, USA