2002 Mini Cooper steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mini Cooper:

2002 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Nov 012008

Cooper 4-cyl

Recent news reports alerted me about the investigation into MINIpower steering failures in 2004-05 MINICoopers. I am writing to report that a few years ago, I experienced intermittent power steering failure in my 2002 MINICooper (at about 70K) making steering very difficult. Because the problem would come and go, it was difficult for my repair shop to find the root cause. Eventually, the power steering pump was replaced.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 042010

Cooper

The contact owns a 2002 MINICooper. While the contact was driving approximately 2 mph, there was a loss of power steering which caused difficulty in turning the steering wheel. The engine was turned off and restarted. The vehicle was able to continue in operation. The failure occurred four different times. The contact stated the power steering fluid reading was at the correct capacity level. Also, he mentioned that the power steering fan motor could have possibly overheated, causing the failure. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 98,500.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Jun 012009

Cooper 4-cyl

1. driving in normal conditions, car starts over heating. 2. constant power steering failure. Has happened 2 times since I have owned the vehicle. (3 year span) and also 2 times for the original owner. 3. the car was taken to the dealership for repairs. Old parts are not available.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Aug 042010

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering pump failure. Complete loss of power assist. Just happened in the middle of a turn during normal driving.

- Woodside, CA, USA

Oct 152009

Cooper 4-cyl

2002 MINICooper S power steering pump failed leaving car with very heavy steering. Car traveled into oncoming traffic but no damage or injury occurred. I have old ps pump available.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 252010

Cooper

2002 MINICooper S power steering pump failure. Pump had stopped while driving the car previously. Now, pump continues to run after turning off the engine.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Aug 132010

Cooper

The power steering pump on 2002 MINICooper S has repeatedly seized up when driving over a course of a few months and now it wont turn off when the car is off so the battery drains out.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Mar 212010

Cooper

The contact owns a 2002 MINICooper S. the contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph and the power steering failed. He stated that the power steering failure occurred no matter the speed and has occurred at other speed levels. He called the dealership and was told that they would not inspect the vehicle without him paying a diagnostic fee. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 67,000. The current mileage was appproximately 67,500.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 152010

Cooper

The new minis from BMW, ranging from 2002 - 2005, have chronic problems with the power steering failing while driving, making the cars suddenly impossible to steer. This is not an isolated problem. I've searched the web and found hundreds of people complaining about this very same thing. Here's a link to a bbc story about it. www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/02/mini_steering_system_failures.html.

- Apo, AE, USA

Nov 162009

Cooper

2002 MINICooper, power steering pump shorted out causing a small fire which destroyed the pump, fan, wiring harness, power steering line. Car had less than 50,000 miles on it. Cost of repair over 1200 dollars.

- Bernville, PA, USA

Nov 212009

Cooper

2002 MINICooper. Power steering quit (my wife driving and by herself) in a turn with oncoming traffic. No injuries but very close.

- Bainbridge Island, WA, USA

May 152008

Cooper

2002 MINICooper power steering hydraulic assist fails without warning making car difficult to steer. Failure is intermittent and may occur on the highway or on surface roads. In either case there is absolutely no warning.

- Boerne, TX, USA

Mar 102009

Cooper

2002 MINIcooper C power steering pump failure with only 50K miles.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 212008

Cooper

My 2002 MINICooper electrohydraulic power steering (ehps) pump will not shut off causing associated wiring to become dangerously hot (smells like an electrical fire). This is a common problem with the MINICooper and there needs to be a recall. I am trying to figure out how to keep my MINIfrom catching fire.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 062008

Cooper

Abrupt failure of the power steering system in a 2002 MINICooper.

- East Haven, CT, USA

Feb 202008

Cooper

Back in Feb 2008 the steering on my 2002 MINICooper just went out with no warning. I was left without power steering in the middle of the 101 freeway, which is very dangerous! I fixed the problem, which was very expensive as it was the entire steering system that failed and filed a complaint with MINII never heard back but continued to drive the car. Recently, September 2008 the transmission in that same car needs to be replaced. I have had nothing but major problems with this car and feel it may be a lemon. MINIis unwilling to help me as my car is no longer under warranty. I feel as though these problems could result in serious injury as there is no prior warning and I am concerned for all present and future MINICooper drivers.

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Jul 072008

Cooper

Clutch and cables fail at 100 000km. Rattling noise at start up. Very loud humming noise coming from the steering. Transmission gone at 103 000km.

- Laval, 00, USA

Aug 092002

Cooper

My MINICooper S 2002. My power steering locked up making it almost impossible to steer. Very dangerous and the fan kept running when off which drained the battery. It is not drivable now.

- Glencoe, IL, USA

Feb 182008

Cooper

I recently had a 60K service on my 2002 MINICooper. A couple days later I drove from monterey, ca to los angeles, ca and my car was running fine. All of a sudden out of the blue, my power steering went out. I was driving on the 101 freeway and could not turn my car. I was able to get it to a repair shop where they told me my power steering pump had broke. $1,000 later the part of replaced. Luckily I was safe, as was the passenger in my car. But what if I had been on a very cury, busy highway? I could have driven off a cliff! this is not a part that should simply wear out or break, we are talking people's lives! I love my MINIand am a proud MINIowner and driver but after this I don't think I will ever buy another MINIor BMW.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 212005

Cooper 4-cyl

(1) events leading up to failure - normal wear and tear, car driven 40K+ miles (2) failure & consequence - both bearings in the steering column began to fail. Details not exactly available since I didn't have the opportunity to inspect them, but bearings would grind when turning the steering wheel. Dealer told me that these would not impact driving safety, if not, what is their purpose? (3) corrective action - dealer replaced both bearings since car is still under warranty (50K miles). I inquired with dealer if MINIhas either improved the design of the replacement bearings or if the original bearings had been improperly installed. Dealer stated that neither was the case and that it isn't/wouldn't be unusual for steering bearings to fail after 40K miles, which by today's standards is completely false!.

- Bel Air, MD, USA