CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems are a major issue with the 2004 Mini Cooper, with hundreds of owners reporting complaints to the NHTSA about their power steering suddenly failing while driving.

Some power steering failures have caused crashes & injuries. Average mileage at failure is well under 100,000 miles & the repair cost is over $1,000. Not good.

2004 Mini Cooper steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mini Cooper:

2004 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 5 of 21)

Oct 052012

Cooper

The contact owns a 2004 MINICooper S. the contact stated that the electrical power steering pump caught on fire, melting all of the wires. The fire department was not contacted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 110,000.

- Bedford, KY, USA

Oct 282011

Cooper

As I was driving on local road I noticed a car double parked I tried to pass the vehicle when I noticed my steering wheel was stiff it was very hard to turn it at all I almost slammed into double parked car that I could not pass and had no control of my vehicle. Its very uncomfortable to drive a vehicle that way so its parked for now if I knew that it would be that dangerous to drive this vehicle I would never bought it.

- Rego Park, NY, USA

Sep 212012

Cooper

My power steering failed. Cause unconfirmed as yet, but this apparently is a known problem. Power steering started again when I restarted the car, but now the pump motor (or perhaps the fan) won't shut off and there is no fuse to disable. Must disconnect the battery to shut it off and avoid draining the battery. Steering did not lock up, but very difficult to overcome the rack-and-pinion steering linkage resistance.

- Ludington, MI, USA

Sep 032012

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering failed as I was returning from taking my child to the airport. The car power steering cooling fan stayed on after I turned off the car and drained the battery. The problem was diagnosed as a failed power steering pump. The car was towed to a mechanic and the power steering pump was replaced as was the dead battery. The total cost was over $1700.

- Kensington, CA, USA

Aug 222012

Cooper 4-cyl

Intermittent problem with the power steering going out after the engine warms up. This has happened now 4 times with very difficult steering. No loss of fluid on the pavement or squealing noises. After engine cools down, power steering again works.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 302012

Cooper 4-cyl

Had just made minor engine repairs - hoses - belt - thermostat - water pump - oil change - oil filter - air filter - less then one week - 30mp making left turn - gripping very hard on the wheel to finish the turn - no power steering - tested fan - fan ok - pulled steering pump off - what do I do now - buy pump - call dealer - wait to here from you

- Stevens, PA, USA

Aug 242012

Cooper 4-cyl

The power steering failed, common problem in 2004 MINICooper. Canada has issued a recall in January 2012.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Jun 042012

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering/steering pump showing signs of failing, first noticed in a crowded parking lot.

- Camden, ME, USA

May 252010

Cooper 4-cyl

Lost power steering unexpectedly in my car. Power steering pump and fan were replaced 6/3/2010. On 6/29/2011, I again lost power steering unexpectedly mileage- 96250. Power steering pump and fan were replaced again. On 6/26/2012 I yet again lost power steering - mileage -111834, pump and fan were replaced for the 3rd time. Each time the fan had failed and the pump overheated.

- Nichols, NY, USA

Aug 132012

Cooper 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 MINICooper S. the contact stated the power steering failed without warning. The failure only occurred once. The vehicle was not inspected for the failure nor repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 110,000. Updated 9/10/12

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Jun 182011

Cooper 4-cyl

I was yielding to make a left turn on green. The car was in neutral. It was a relatively hot day. When I went to go I shifted into gear and immediately found it difficult to turn. As I furthered down the road to my event and was ushered into the parking lot by traffic control, the power steering diminished more and more as I drove on. By time I got to a parking space, I could just barely turn into my spot. A few hours after the event I turned on my car and it drove as normal again. After this powersteering failure I had a power steering fluid flush done. It has been a bit over a year since the first time it happened, but in the past two weeks I've lost my power steering about ten times. It's always when I'm at a slow speed or stopped. Usually shutting the engine on and off again will solve the problem but once it did not. I left the car alone for a few hours and when I went to drive it again it was like normal. It has not always been hot when my power steering fails. I keep my car in a garage so it is seldom baking in the sun. When the power steering goes, it feels as if the car is gripping back and gets progressively worse as I continue to drive. I am not an aggressive driver and I live in a flat area where driving is a simple task.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 052012

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering pump fan got lower in tone, harder to turn but hasn't failed yet. Looking up the issue on several sites, this is a common issue with this part failing. I contacted the local dealer which I originally bought it from and no recalls were shown for it - for the us. Canada however got a recall and they are fixing the problem there free of charge.

- Carver, MN, USA

Jul 252012

Cooper

The contact owns a 2004 MINIcopper. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the power steering assist failed. The contact shut off the vehicle and upon restarting, the power steering assist had independently reset. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the dealer was unable to locate the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 111,000 and the current mileage was 112,005.

- Washington , DC, USA

May 012012

Cooper 4-cyl

While driving on the interstate the power steering stopped working. The steering became very uncomfortable and the first exit we approached we stopped and checked fluid levels, everything was fine. Restarted the car and power steering was working again after a few miles power steering stopped working again. Car is much harder to steer when the pump goes out than if equipped with manual steering. Very dangerous when vehicle is at slower speeds because of the amount of effort it requires to turn.

- Pelham, AL, USA

Aug 052012

Cooper 4-cyl

Driving at around 40 mph and the power steering pump failed. The steering was extremely difficult.

- Bayport, NY, USA

Apr 012012

Cooper 4-cyl

Our 2004 MINICooper has begun to exhibit intermittent power steering failures usually after being at rest or at very low speeds. If the car is turned off and restarted, the power steering starts up again but the problem has begun occurring more and more frequently.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 302012

Cooper 4-cyl

Driving down the road and the steering got hard. After almost wrecking and making it home, turned car off and 10 minutes later it worked again.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 162012

Cooper

The contact owns a 2004 MINIcopper. The contact was traveling 35 mph when the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 105,000.

- Lakewood, IL, USA

Aug 122011

Cooper 4-cyl

Intermittent loss of power steering. Occurs whether vehicle is hot or cold. Can occur after vehicle has sat overnight. Will start working again after shutting down and restarting the vehicle.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 272012

Cooper 4-cyl

My 2004 MINICooper intermittently loses it's power steering and is extremely difficult to control. This usually happens when the engine is not yet warmed but sometimes happens randomly. It is very difficult to maintain control when turning and today I just missed a pedestrian turning a corner in a crowded downtown area.

- Seattle, WA, USA