Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems are a major issue with the 2004 Mini Cooper, with hundreds of owners reporting complaints to the NHTSA about their power steering suddenly failing while driving.

Some power steering failures have caused crashes & injuries. Average mileage at failure is well under 100,000 miles & the repair cost is over $1,000. Not good.

2004 Mini Cooper wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mini Cooper:

2004 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Oct 022013

Power steering failed while I was driving the vehicle and I almost crashed.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 022010

I was driving my 2004 MINICooper on the highway from la to san diego. All of a sudden the power steering in my car evaporated and I almost hit the side of rail. The car would run but I could hardly steer it. I took it into a auto service center and they told me that it was the power steering pump. Several MINICoopers have had this same problem. I contacted customer care for MINICooper and they told me I had to take it to a BMW/MINIdealership even though I have already got a diagnostic. The dealership is charging $145 just to look at the car even though we already know what is wrong. They told me they could not tell me how long this would take to get resolved. There should be a recall on these cars and this part replace free of charge. In addition, I shouldn't have to wait for an unlimited amount of time to get my car fixed when this is clearly manufacturing defect in the car. I would like the dot to recall this car and make the part and service available free of charge.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA