CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems are a major issue with the 2005 Mini Cooper, with hundreds of owners reporting complaints to the NHTSA about their power steering suddenly failing while driving.

Some power steering failures have caused crashes & injuries. Average mileage at failure is well under 100,000 miles & the repair cost is over $1,000. Not good.

2.1

2005 Mini Cooper drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mini Cooper:

2005 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 012011

Cooper 4-cyl

In the early fall, September 2011, I encountered issues with my car not shifting properly. It's an automatic transmission so I know there was nothing I could be doing to cause this problem. The car has been serviced regularly and driven with care while in my possession(I'm the second owner. No similar issues on carfax report). While the engine is cool and not yet at its optimal temperature the drive is fine and you may not even notice a problem; however, every ride, once warmed up the car begins to shift incredibly violently as it is obviously struggling to switch gears. This occurs also while slowing down and the car is downshifting creating an opportunity to be "slung" into a car from behind(this happened in the mid summer of 2011). After dropping this car off September 15th to the local MINIdealership, I did not hear from them for almost three weeks. In the first week of October I was contacted and told it looks like my car is very easily fixable and should be ready shortly. It was explained to me that a seal had broken on the transmission leaking fluid onto it causing this shifting malfunction. When they finally told me I can pick up my car(approximately October 18th) they regretted to inform me the problem was not able to be fixed and I would have to bring it elsewhere as they do not rebuild transmissions. Now it is back in my possession where I am forced to commute in it daily, driving worse than it was before I dropped it off. It now displays "PE" for its current gear from time to time. This is not the only complaint I have filed for this car matching other consumer complaints. I am a victim of their failed power steering as well.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Oct 302011

Cooper 4-cyl

Automatic cvt transmission failed at 77,000 miles. Car stopped when going down interstate, pressing gas, nothing. Check engine light came on. I was able to stop the car safely, turned it off, restarted it, check engine light and ep (transmission) warning light came on.MINIcooper dealership says min is very aware of this transmission problem, and stopped putting the cvt transmissions in, apparently it was experimental. Cannot rebuild the transmission, and MINIestimates $7100 to replace the transmission, and will only give me $2500 on it as a trade in due to the known transmission issue.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Oct 182010

Cooper

While picking my grandson from school on Oct 18 2010 at 2:30 pm I was backing out of a parking space onto the highway, half still in parking space and half on the highway my car stopped--- it would not go forward or backward --- could not turn the steering wheel, it would not turn--the motor running all the time --I turned the key off and on twice before the car would move.only reason we were not hit by traffic is because we were in a school zone and traffic was slow at that time. I called my MINIdealer in baton rouge and asked if they had other people with trouble with their MINIthey said no-- asked they to check if MINIhad anything going on with MINIS they would not check they just saying they had not received and official notice they said I could bring it in and it would cost me about $800 to have it fixed.

- Sorrento, LA, USA