Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems are a major issue with the 2005 Mini Cooper, with hundreds of owners reporting complaints to the NHTSA about their power steering suddenly failing while driving.

Some power steering failures have caused crashes & injuries. Average mileage at failure is well under 100,000 miles & the repair cost is over $1,000. Not good.

2005 Mini Cooper drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mini Cooper:

2005 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 302011

Cooper 4-cyl

Automatic cvt transmission failed at 77,000 miles. Car stopped when going down interstate, pressing gas, nothing. Check engine light came on. I was able to stop the car safely, turned it off, restarted it, check engine light and ep (transmission) warning light came on.MINIcooper dealership says min is very aware of this transmission problem, and stopped putting the cvt transmissions in, apparently it was experimental. Cannot rebuild the transmission, and MINIestimates $7100 to replace the transmission, and will only give me $2500 on it as a trade in due to the known transmission issue.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Oct 182010

While picking my grandson from school on Oct 18 2010 at 2:30 pm I was backing out of a parking space onto the highway, half still in parking space and half on the highway my car stopped--- it would not go forward or backward --- could not turn the steering wheel, it would not turn--the motor running all the time --I turned the key off and on twice before the car would move.only reason we were not hit by traffic is because we were in a school zone and traffic was slow at that time. I called my MINIdealer in baton rouge and asked if they had other people with trouble with their MINIthey said no-- asked they to check if MINIhad anything going on with MINIS they would not check they just saying they had not received and official notice they said I could bring it in and it would cost me about $800 to have it fixed.

- Sorrento, LA, USA