CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems are a major issue with the 2005 Mini Cooper, with hundreds of owners reporting complaints to the NHTSA about their power steering suddenly failing while driving.

Some power steering failures have caused crashes & injuries. Average mileage at failure is well under 100,000 miles & the repair cost is over $1,000. Not good.

2005 Mini Cooper engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mini Cooper:

2005 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Mar 132013

Cooper 4-cyl

When accelerating from 30 to 40 miles an hour/shifting from 3rd to 4th gear, my transmission would rev up the rpms and my car no longer accelerates. It went from about 2 to 5.5 rpms, even after I took my foot off the gas pedal. Once it finally does shift, it lurches the car forward violently. It takes a while for the transmission to start acting up, but once the car is fully warmed up, it seems nearly impossible to have it not happen. It's even more frustrating and frightening because I do all city driving, where I slow down and speed up so I am constantly having to get within the 30mph range. My car stops accelerating so I am afraid of my transmission dying in the middle of traffic or slowing down so much that is causes an accident. Bottom line: My car does not function properly and potentially endangers me, so I am afraid to drive my car.

- Denver, CO, USA

Feb 062012

Cooper 4-cyl

The vehicle began to feel like the transmission was slipping: Hesitation, wheels skidding, rough acceleration and deceleration. The problem continues after 2 trips to MINIcooper in which the car's computer was "reset" because no problems with the transmission were found. The problem described above persists, but there was also one episode where the car did not start and later turned off while driving on a congested nyc road.

- Jackson Heights, NY, USA

Aug 102011

Cooper 4-cyl

Intermediate power steering failure, ran off the road hit a fence to avoid on coming car, thank god I was not hurt, was on my way to work, after 8 hrs at work got in it steering was workin almost to my drive went out again never know when this will happen but happens quite often lately come drive it will scare your pants off.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Aug 252010

Cooper

I was travel at a speed of 70 mph, when my vehicle lost power immediately down to 15 mph. The engine did not shut off, but I could not accelerate above 15 mph. I was able to pull to the right because the traffic flow was spaced so I could safely pull over. There was no warning that this malfunction was going to happen. The vehicle was said to gone into "limp mode". the electronic belt was replaced that apparently controls the vehicle function at a cost of $3400.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 162005

Cooper 4-cyl

Started vehicle in the evening when leaving work then drove out onto the street and the vehicle stopped. The throttle would not do anything and the car wouldn't move. The dealer said a temperature sensor told the computer it was out of range and sent the automatic transmission into a limp mode. After pulling over and restarting the car it was possible to drive it home, but the service engine light was on. The vehicle was only 1 month old. The dealer has replaced two map sensors and an electronic throttle motor, but it's not supposed to be fixed until they correct the software. There are 7 MINICooper S automatics with the same problem at this dealer and many more throughout the U.S.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 222005

Cooper 4-cyl

While stopped the car would not accelerate for 5-7 seconds.. the engine RPM did not increase even with the foot pedal pushed to the floor. When the RPM did increase the car accelerated normally until the next episode. When the vehicle was taken to be serviced the problem could not be determined.

- Claremore, OK, USA