CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems are a major issue with the 2005 Mini Cooper, with hundreds of owners reporting complaints to the NHTSA about their power steering suddenly failing while driving.

Some power steering failures have caused crashes & injuries. Average mileage at failure is well under 100,000 miles & the repair cost is over $1,000. Not good.

2005 Mini Cooper steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mini Cooper:

2005 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 19 of 26)

Mar 012011

Cooper 4-cyl

The power steering pump in my 2005 MINICooper intermittently stops working while driving. This makes turning extremely difficult and hazardous and happens at what seems to be 'random' times. I took it to the MINIdealer and they charged me $125 to tell me that my power steering pump was fine, but shorted out a couple of times causing the difficulty in steering. They were going to charge $1060 for the replacement. From what I'm understanding this is a problem that effects 223,000 MINIdrivers and yet there is no recall yet.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Feb 212011

Cooper

Power steering assist failed to operate without warning while I was parking the car, MINICooper S 2005 model year. There was no service light or any other warning before the failure occurred.

- Chadds Ford, PA, USA

Dec 132010

Cooper

The first time I had a problem, I was driving and maintaining speed when suddenly the power-steering failed. I jerked the steering wheel and turned it with force, and then the power-steering returned. Another time, the power-steering failed while I was driving and remained off until I turned off the ignition and then turned the ignition back on.

- College Park, MD, USA

Jan 152011

Cooper 4-cyl

2005 MINICooper power steering failure. The power steering has failed several times in my MINICooper. The car becomes extremely hard to drive when it fails (much harder than an old car without power steering-its nearly impossible to steer when the power steering fails). Several times it has happened in the middle of the road while making a turn. If I turn off the car and restart it the power steering will come back for a while. Very dangerous situation!

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Feb 142011

Cooper

Noticed a whirring noise from the engine compartment. Then suddenly the steering became difficult likely due to power steering pump failure. Looked up possible issues on line and noticed that other folks had very similar experiences.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA

Feb 142011

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering began intermittently failing on our 2005 MINICooper at approx. 88,000 miles. Steering would become very stiff making maneuvering the car quite difficult. Usually would go out after traveling some distance on the highway. Very noticeable once stopped at intersection and trying to turn to new direction. Does not feel safe to drive. Has occurred about 10 times now in the past 3 weeks. Failed on way to MINIdealer today. MINIdealer has indicated the failure of the module in the powersteering pump. Will replace pump for $1,100 plus. Having this repair done as I write. No offer to discount even though NHTSA is investigating the failure of this part.

- Marysville , WA, USA

Feb 012011

Cooper

Power steering appears to not be working. Power in the vehicle is interrupted at low speeds after driving the vehicle for a brief period of time. Symptoms of this began occurring over three months ago with the battery of the car being drained after sitting for a period of 4 days or more. All relays and fuses have been checked. The power steering pump cooling fan was found to have been inoperative and was removed, cleaned and reinstalled approximately 2 weeks ago.

- Boise, ID, USA

Feb 052011

Cooper 4-cyl

There was a strange noise (like a fan running) coming from my 2005 MINICooper when the engine was turned off. It continued to make the noise until eventually the car battery died. I do not want to drive my car in fear of losing the power steering while driving. I took my car to the dealership's service department to evaluate the problem. I was told that it was the power steering pump and that it needed to be replaced. I am not sure why a 6 year old car with 36,600 miles would need the power steering pump replaced or why it is broken in the first place. The cost of the repair with parts and labor was estimated to be $1400. I had concerns regarding the repair and decided to return home with my car. I have done some research and have found that I am not the only one that has had the same problem. There are hundreds of complaints about the power steering pump failing on MINICoopers. I have requested assistance from the dealership and ultimately MINIusa for the repair as I believe it is a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

Feb 032011

Cooper

Same issue as complaints 10378962 and 10380308, related to investigation 10-038. Power steering failed while attempting to make a right hand turn

- Sun Lakes, AZ, USA

Feb 022011

Cooper 4-cyl

I have a 2005 MINICooper S with 51,000 miles on it. I recently had to replace the lower control arm bushings and have had a creak in my steering column that is getting worse. Last month, I first experienced complete lack of power steering. The car corrected itself and worked properly until a few intermittent occasions this week. Turning off the car and turning it back on seem to temporarily correct the lack of power steering. However, it is very temporary. While driving, I can feel the steering response change on/off due to lack of power steering control. When the power steering fails, the wheel is very difficult to turn. It feels like a 1961 Chevy truck with a 350 V8. It is nearly impossible to steer the car from a dead stop making parking extremely difficult. I am being forced to drive below the speed limit to limit my liability in corners and turns, especially on the interstate. I am setting up an appointment with my local MINIdealer to address and correct the failure. I understand this is under investigation by NHTSA, but I cannot wait to have the repair. I am bewildered as to why there hasn't been a recall yet. It is unacceptable that a vehicle's steering system can fail after very little miles. MINIneeds to be held accountable for this problem.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 052011

Cooper

The contact owns a 2003 MINICooper. While driving at any speed, the contact noticed that the vehicle would lose all power steering intermittently without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic test which concluded that the power steering pump needed to be replaced and completed the repairs. The contact did not inform the manufacturer. The current mileage was 108,648 and the failure mileage was unknown.

Jan 272011

Cooper

The contact owns a 2005 MINIcooper. While driving approximately 35 mph and attempting to make a right hand turn, the steering being difficult to control. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who contacted the manufacturer on her behalf. The manufacturer was notified who informed the contact that they would speak with the regional manager on her behalf and the contact was awaiting a response. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were unknown.

Feb 012011

Cooper 4-cyl

We bought this car 1 month ago for our 16 year old twins to learn to drive on. Twice while driving the steering has locked up to the point they are stranded in the middle of the road. Both times they called me from their cell phones and I instructed them to turn on the emergency flashers and try and get to a safe place. They could not move the car from side to side so I instructed them to stop putthe car in park and shut it off and try to re-start. Each times this seemed to help but when we have the car looked at there seems to be no problems. The car had only 27,982 miles a month ago when we bought it.

- Cairo, GA, USA

Jan 312011

Cooper 4-cyl

My 2005 MINICooper S suddenly lost power steering as I was driving almost causing an accident. I've not had it in for repairs yet, but researching on the internet it seems many consumers have had the same problem. I have even read of those whose car caught on fire and am fearful of the same happening to me not to mention the extremely high cost of repair. MINIshould recall the 2005 and fix this issue.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jan 282011

Cooper

The contact owns a 2005 MINICooper convertible. The contact stated that after she parked the vehicle and shut the vehicle off, she heard a loud noise from the vehicle. The vehicle was driven home and the contact unplugged the battery, which stopped the loud noise that she was hearing. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who informed the contact that she needed to replace the power steering pump. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that there was nothing they could do. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 69,998.

- Freemont, CA, USA

Jan 292011

Cooper 4-cyl

The power steering pump failed suddenly and was unable to turn the car. Updated 08/24/11 updated 08/29/11

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jan 172011

Cooper 4-cyl

I have an 05 MINICooper S and the power steering pump is defective along with 80,000+ others. I am roughly around 90,000 miles and the pump has just recently stared going out due to what the dealership called a "defective leak on the actually body of the pump". I asked them what I should do and they wanted to charge me $1100 to "fix it" but said that it could go out and fail at anytime while I am driving. This is a serious issue because my wife would not be able to control the car if it could go out at anytime" they also said that this was a very common problem in 04/05 MINIcoopers. I really wish somebody would make them recall this potential life threatening problem without charging us $1100 for their mistake in designing/installing the power steering pumps??"

- Pace, FL, USA

Jan 292011

Sudden steering failure.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Mar 142010

Cooper

Multiple power steering failures. Initially when driving for more than 1 hour, now (Jan. 2011) often goes out when driving more than 10 minutes. Sometimes comes/goes during a turn. Extremely difficult to handle when cornering in the city or parallel parking.

- Lancaster, AL, USA