2006 Mini Cooper steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mini Cooper:

2006 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 152016

A extended warranty was issued for the Cooper S R53 till 2005 model year.... the R 53 was produced into the 2006 model year for the northamerican market.... have replaced to pump once around 40-50 K on the car, out of pocket, and pump has failed again around 95K. The warranty on models till 2005 was extended to 13 years and/or 150K..... why are the few remaining models of the 2006 runoff not covered.. first pump failed on the my Washington auto road..... not a good place to say the least..... the other on the Washington, D.C. beltway during the afternoon rush.... managed to keep safe but was not a good situation for anyone... steering pump would surge on and off-road causing inconsistent power assist in turns with a eventually no assist was much more dramatic the first time was only saved by recognizing the problem as it occurred the second time... when the first pump was replaced all lines, cooling fan and its duct work were replaced a well......

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

Jun 292016

Stopped at gas station to fill up. Restarted car and began to drive...noticed extreme stiffness in steering and pulled over. Shut engine off and then restarted power steering returned. Later in the day...I was going for a drive and it occurred again. This time, it was after I had stopped at the gym for an hour, and was returning home. Again, I pulled over shut of engine and then restarted. Power steering returned.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jun 062016

My '06 MINICooper S with about 87,000 miles is leaking power steering fluid and has been doing so for the last 3 years or 20,000 miles. I've been told I need to replace the electric power steering pump. I believe MINIshould have to repair/replace the power steering pump unit because is likely a failure similar to the power steering failure documented and covered by NHTSA campaign number: 15V660000. While the steering mechanism is still functioning, can a catastrophic power steering failure be far off?

- Frisco, TX, USA

Mar 202016

The contact owns a 2006 MINICooper. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, there was a loss of power steering. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the power steering pump was replaced however the failure recurred the next day. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic and unknown repairs were performed. In addition, the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously. On a separate occasion, the alternator failed and was not replaced. The contact mentioned that the engine cooling fan also failed to function, which caused the radiator to be replaced twice. The engine was replaced at a different time. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- North Miami Beach, FL, USA

May 072016

Power steering randomly when out while in motion. Thankfully, I was on a local road going slowly when it happened. Pulled over to the side, turned off the car and turned it back on. Power steering came back.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Apr 102016

The contact owns a 2006 MINICooper S. the contact stated that while in park, the vehicle failed to start. In addition, the contact stated that while reversing at a low speed, the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. Once in park, the vehicle failed to turn off with the key in the off position. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering motor had failed and melted. The power steering motor, wires, battery, pump, fan, pressure hose and alternator were replaced. After repairs, the mechanic was unable to diagnose the vehicle using the diagnostic tool. The vehicle was then taken to a dealer who stated that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 15V660000 (steering) but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Apr 012016

Was driving to see my husband out of town and my steering wheel start getting hard, I stopped turn of the car and back on and it worked, but after that it cointinue to do it more and more often, took it to the mechanic and he said it was the power wheel pump,

- Eagle Pass, TX, USA

Jan 042016

The contact owns a 2006 MINICooper S. while driving 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering line and pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V660000.(steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Clifton, VA, USA

Mar 012016

Car had a burning smell then the power steering went complety off while driving. MINIhas an extended warranty for MINIR53 first generation 2002-2005 but the 2006 is also a first generation and the problem was not fixed.called MINIand and was told they couldnt help me and I believe they should warranty the 2006 model before a fire starts or someone gets hurt or worse

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 302015

Bought veh. Used on 11/21/15 with 66,898 miles. On December 30, 2015 drove vehicle and parked, when veh. Was shut off I noticed a humming sound coming from under the hood, thought it was a fan. Returned to vehicle approx. 6 hrs. Later, battery was dead. Have veh. Jump started. Drove home, heard humming again coming from under the hood when veh. Was shut off. I disconnected battery and noticed smoke coming from behind the power steering fluid reservoir. Took veh. To my mechanic on 1/6/16 (veh. Had not been driven since 12/30/15) and he advised me that the steering pump needed replacing, veh. Was at 67,747 miles. Paid $1,154.17 for repairs. Mechanic advised me to do research as he has heard of this problem with other MINIowners. Researched on internet to find I was not the only 2006 MINIowner to experience this problems. Same problem that occurred to the MINIs that BMW has recalled and extended warranty. Please do what is necessary to have them include 2006 MINICoopers and fix the problem and/or reimburse those of us who have already paid for repairs. I have contacted MINIusa, but they claim my veh. Is not included in recall, though I feel it should be since the problem is the exact same thing as those veh.'s that were recalled.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Oct 302015

The contact owns a 2006 MINICooper S. while driving 55 mph, the steering became very difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,700. Update 01/15/16

- Mount Kisco, NY, USA

Oct 162015

Signs of the power steering pump failure. Whining noise randomly got louder. Fluids topped up, no leaks. There is a recall from BMW that covers 2002-2005 models. This pump only has 82,400 miles on it.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Mar 142015

My MINIcooper has a problem with the power steering pump that will eventually cause an accident. I noticed that 2002 through 2005 has been recalled because of this issue but not 2006" and now I have an issue with my power steering"

- Winslow, ME, USA

Jul 032015

Power steering pump failure at <64K miles. This is ridiculous. Such a failure may result in an accident, injury or death. MINICooper has known about such issues for years! fix the problem MINIbefore someone gets killed.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 042015

Parked my car with a valet. Returned in an hour. It would not start. There was a smell as if something had burned. They jump started my car. As I began to drive the power steering was out. Immediately drove it to my car repair shop. By the time that I had traveled the 2 miles, the engine was heavily smoking. My car repair shop says that the power steering pump electrically malfunctioned - internal failure of the power steering pump.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 122015

Cooper 4-cyl

Simply driving to the store on my day off the power steering abruptly stopped, making the vehicle extremely hard to control. I turned around and headed back home slowly. I parked it and researched the issue. First I found out how expensive a new pump was. Then I had to wait till I could afford to buy one. But even the new one does not work. I installed it yesterday 18 Apr 2015. I followed strict instructions and made sure everything was clean and secured. But when I lowered the car and started it the new pump did not operate at all, hence the car is still unusable.

- Sterling, CT, USA

Mar 022015

Cooper 4-cyl

The power steering on my 2006 MINICooper spontaneously combusted, melting the power steering harness and draining the battery. The incident went like this: When we returned from an extended vacation, the car wouldn't start because of a dead battery. We jumped started it using jumper cables. When I tried to drive away, there was no power steering. We had the car towed to the MINIdealership, where they discovered that the wiring harness had "melted into the pump." Because of the "known defect" in similar MINImodels and the car's low mileage, MINIusa and the dealership replaced the power steering kit and the battery for no charge.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Oct 272014

Cooper 4-cyl

Steering became choppy, not smooth, it continues to deteriorate to a dangerous state of operation.

- Florham Park, NJ, USA

Mar 112015

Cooper 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway. My car swerved to the right. I pulled left to correct the car and it began to fishtail swerving left and right and I was unable to control the car. Suddenly it went off the road, hit the guardrail and down a small embankment and flipped over. The car came to a stop upside down with the rear window smashed and snow in the car. I was minorly injured with a small cut on my face and bruises on my right side.

- Natick , MA, USA

Nov 042014

Cooper 4-cyl

The passenger air bag sensor went on in my MINICooper. I noticed this seems to be a common issue. I also had to replace the steering components in the MINICooper, which again seems to be a common issue. I am concerned regarding all the air bag recalls, but at 1,7K to replace the entire seat; that is quite a burden upon a tight budget. I just wanted to use this website as a place where I have documented these issues, so that if there is a insurance claim down the road, because of these faulty issue, I have a documented complaint.

- Parker, CO, USA