2.4

2007 Mini Cooper engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mini Cooper:

2007 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Jun 012010

Cooper

I have had an issue with my 07' MINICooper S engine's timing chain since 2010. The tensioner brackets for the timing chain that came with my 07 MINIare made out of plastic and break easily, causing the timing belt to slip and damage my engine. It has currently cost me 1500 dollars in repairs to fix the issue. The repair can only be a temporary fix because the brackets were simply replaced with the same plastic brackets that broke previously. I am simply awaiting the day they break again. This is not a new issue, as I have seen multiple complaints of this very same issue all over the internet and BMW needs to be held responsible for their defected engines. I suggest a recall be placed on the 07 - 10 MINIcoopers, Cooper S, and convertibles, for their defective tensioner brackets for the timing chain because it can cause severe damage to the engine if not destroy the engine completely.

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Jun 232012

Cooper 4-cyl

MINIcooper 2007 - rattles when cold. Took the car to the dealer. Felt to be a problem with the timing chain. I did some research. It's a known problem and can lead to the engine seizing during driving. It's a safety issue that MINIis well aware of. My car only has 40,000 miles on it. The repair would cost ~$2500. If I don't repair it, I worry about the engine failing while I'm on the highway - or worse, with my kids in the car during a drive. MINIknows about this and has directed dealers specifically on this problem. Countless online complaints about the same thing. MINIshould offer a recall and fix this known defect before anyone loses control of a car while driving and someone gets hurt. Updated IVOQ 07/09/12.

- River Forest, IL, USA

Jun 152012

Cooper 4-cyl

Took my car into the MINIdealer today due to the fact that it was idling low, sounded like a diesel when it turned on and made a knocking noise. MINIlet me know that it was in fact my timing chain and tensioner system that was making this sound and needed to be replaced. If it had not been replaced, I could have experienced complete engine failure. My MINIis not the only one that has had this problem, therefore I feel like MINIshould cover the cost of fixing my timing chain and tensioner since it is going to cost me approximately $2,500 to fix it. I guess I should be thankfully that I was able to get my MINIto the dealer before it suffered a complete engine failure.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Jun 092009

Cooper 4-cyl

Eight months after MINIof concord replaced my high pressure fuel pump for the gasoline leak and strong gas smell within the cabin, again the gas smell started up in the cabin (for all trips). I took it back to MINIof concord (this is 22 months after buying car), and they again found a leak in the high pressure fuel pump and line, and replaced the parts - again. This was the fourth replacement of the high pressure fuel pump on my car! they also replaced the timing chain tensioner because of the loud noise it was making on startup. And the inlet camshaft position sensor.

Oct 142008

Cooper 4-cyl

One month after MINIof concord replaced my high pressure fuel pump for the gasoline leak and strong gas smell within the cabin, again the gas smell started up in the cabin (for all trips). I took it back to MINIof concord (this is 14 months after buying car), and they again found a leak in the high pressure fuel pump and line, and replaced the parts - again. This was the third of four replacements of the high pressure fuel pump on my car.

Sep 102008

Cooper 4-cyl

In August of 2008, 12 months after purchasing my car, it for a 2nd time in 1 year, started to smell strongly like gasoline inside the cabin. I brought it in to MINIof concord, and they found a leak in the high pressure fuel pump and line, and replaced the parts - for a 2nd time. This was the second of four replacements of the high pressure fuel pump in my car.

Jan 082008

Cooper 4-cyl

In early January 2008, 5 months after purchasing my car, it started to smell strongly like gasoline inside the cabin, and I was concerned that there was a risk of fire. I pulled over and let the car sit, and restarted it, but the smell resumed. I brought it in to MINIof sf, and they found a leak in the high pressure fuel pump and line, and replaced the parts. This was the first of four replacements of the high pressure fuel pump on my car.

May 232012

Cooper 4-cyl

I just bought a MINICooper S with 70,000 miles on it and the engine light came on. I now see where error code P0012 is affected by service bulletin sim-11-02-07 and puma measure 10686850-13. The fact that the engine process affecting the oil condition is the start of this occurrence and yielding some issues with the vanos unit and the timing chain, I am at a loss. Now this is my problem, and it is all the fault of MINII am wondering what to do??

- Mattituck, NY, USA

Jun 232010

Cooper 4-cyl

MINIissued a service bulletin on failed timing chain tensioners in 2009. Service bulletins sim-11-02-07 and puma measure number 10686850-13. The bulletin states that when a customer comes in with a tensioner problem that all cars affected will receive a new timing chain, chain guides, cam sprockets and vanos unit. On 6/23/10 my vehicle required this repair. Because I wasn't aware of the service bulletins the MINIdealership only replaced my vehicles tensioner without replacing the other parts...the tensioner is an easy replace and the actual timing chain is a 9.9 hour job so I'm assuming they took the easy route with less accumulating labor. Now we're 23 months into that repair and the timing chain tensioner has gone bad...again. This time the tensioner going out also caused the timing chain to fail along with the chain guides. MINIwill replace the tensioner again, which is a 26 dollar part, because it is within the 24 month warranty...but because the MINIdealer that last replaced the tensioner did not follow the bulletins issued and replace the other pieces involved in the bulletin, they say I'm responsible. MINInow wants to charge me 1967 dollars for the repair of the timing chain and chain guides because it says the other parts are not covered. The car has 50,062 miles (warranty is to 50K). There are well over 200 entries that I found on the internet with this problem and a petition with over 650 signatures. When is something going to be done?

- Chicago , IL, USA